Windows update 1803 (audio problems)

Ok. so let's get started with everything I have done thus far.

But let me explain my current problem.

At the beginning, when Windows update/feature update 1803 first came out and was available for download/install windows was giving me a hard time and would constantly say 'Failed to install' with an error code being (Example: 0x800012345) I would then search up the error code and nothing would come about to assist me any way. So I then left the update alone, until I came a decent amount of BSOD's (in this case Green Screen's of death being it is on windows insider) with the majority of the error's being something due to drivers etc. now to me, all my drivers are working perfectly fine, no audio problems, no mice/keyboard problems, nothing. So I decided to go and check out my intel drivers for any updates. Nothing. Then I went to check my motherboard drivers, and saw an update for the Bios and for the audio, however I did not install the audio because I've installed it before and all it is, is just an in-line only driver not a USB audio driver, so no real use to me. I then decided to install the new Bios version and completely go through all the changes etc. etc. and booted up. The first thing I did was go and check and see if that darn windows update would finally install... What do you know, it took a while to install, but it actually INSTALLED this time and not an error!

So I go through all the installing annoyances and got booted back up only to be greeted by my NVIDIA control panel missing, and a somewhat rework of the settings menu. I'm to believe that it for some reason deleted my GPU driver as GeForce experience had me re-download the same driver... so I got everything re-installed and what not, nothing else was missing from what I could tell.

A day later, being today I decided to hop onto counter-strike global offensive and play a few games, but upon joining my mic key would not work, I rebooted my game numerous times, verified the files, everything was fine. Until I saw an error code reading "Could not initialize directsoundcapture, you will not be able to talk to anyone." (exactly what it said) and so I played without my mic, it was rather lonely. 

After the game, I logged off and went to check out the reason behind the error, fiddled with all my steam settings, everything was normal, all the settings were the same as how I set them. My microphone was set as default, being my headset mic or (hyperX S Revolver) but for some reason testing my microphone it just wouldn't raise any of it's levels, being the green bar etc.

So instead of fiddling with the steam settings I moved onto windows settings, checked everything and made sure they were all the same, my headset was set as default device, there were no other devices enabled that were not connected that could be possibly causing the problem.

So I move onto troubleshooting the audio/microphone and all it did was change the format back to 44200HZ/CD Quality, that did not a single thing.

When I tried to test my microphone in the new sounds settings menu on windows it wouldn't pick up any levels. However when I open up my microphone properties and checkmark listen to device, i can hear myself when I speak and windows can hear my mic as well and the levels are raising. When I un-checkmark the listen to device, can't hear myself anymore and windows doesn't raise the green levels anymore.

This confuses me...

So I went onto a search for a possible fix, found something to do with the drivers that could be a cause, tried that being, uninstalling the audio drivers, rebooting... that did nothing.

Other than that I found nothing that I haven't already done myself. So I went onto windows support and sat in the chat for about 30 minutes or so and got connected to a nice lady, and as soon as I said windows insider she ported me to here, and here I am... explaining the specific problem I am having.

Hopefully you guys can help me out because it gets lonely not being able to talk to people :(

Also Windows Live version utterly dislikes my computer for some reason... and Windows Insider loves it (what I mean is that the  Live version of windows is completely unstable for my system specs, and the Insider version is 98% stable only occasional BSOD/GSOD)

Link to DXDiag if needed 
DropBox DXDIAG

Answer
Answer

I have somewhat figured the problem out. I believe it is in the privacy section for microphone, it was disabled. however I have had it disabled on the Live version of windows and it never affected me until this new build. I disabled it because the apps listed underneath of it I never used so I disabled it obviously for privacy reasons. Don't need no one listening in on you.

But I fixed the problem, hopefully it doesn't come back and bite me otherwise i'd be back here.

Also look into the privacy settings menu, see what needs reworks. doing good with the new sounds menu etc.

Just needs fine tuning :D

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 8,319 Applies to: