Using two different refresh rate monitors causes flickering on secondary.

I use an ASUS Swift as my main monitor, running at 144hz in Windows 10. My secondary monitor is some old Samsung 1080p monitor capped at 60hz. If I set my main display to run at 144hz in Windows, the 60hz display goes nuts. If anything is dragged around the screen it flickers and artifacts until the item is still.

So I'm stuck using my 144hz monitor at 60hz in Windows to avoid the possible seizure. :P

|

Hi, 

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated. 

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1: Change your screen resolution

1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.
  2. Click the drop-down list next to Resolution, move the slider to the resolution you want, and then click Apply.
  3. Click Keep to use the new resolution, or click Revert to go back to the previous resolution.
  4. Restart the computer and check for the issue

Method 2:

1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.
  2. Click Advanced settings.
  3. Click the Monitor tab, and then, under Screen refresh rate, click the screen refresh rate you want. The monitor will take a moment to adjust. If you want to keep the changes, click Apply. If you don't apply the changes within 15 seconds, the refresh rate will revert back to your original setting.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand how to change the refresh rate of my monitors in Windows. It's just that when it's done, it screws up the Secondary monitor completely. If the main monitor is set to anything but 60hz (like the secondary), it makes the secondary flicker and artifact when there is motion on the monitor.

Nothing I've tried fixes this.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue, and have found no solution to it. I run an Asus vg248qe 144hz 1080p monitor for my main, and an older Acer 1680x1050 60hz monitor for my secondary. Any time I move anything on the secondary it jerks all over the place and the screen tearing is horrible. 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have narrowed my issue down a little and though I would see if maybe it wold help you. The issue goes away if I am not running SLI, I have two 670's so its a little annoying. It seems like it might be a nvidia driver issue while  using sli. 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please follow the steps given below and try to install the driver in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you even read his question?

10 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

New build 10240 was announced on July 15, 2015 to both the Fast and Slow rings. We really appreciate your feedback and thank you for being a Windows Insider.

Build 10240 now available for Windows Insiders in Fast and Slow rings

Please get back to us if the issue persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow. If this is the quality of microsoft service and response that Microsoft aspire to, we may never get this resolved.  Please read people questions BEFORE answering them with a copy/paste from some document that has no relevance to the issue at hand...

I too run 144hz monitors  and one 60hz monitor.  Same issue as note on numerous websites and here.

It's a windows 10 issue. Was never a problem on 7 (or 8 apparently). Please submit a request to resolve this, otherwise I'll need to literally request a refund for my win10 purchase  (yes i paid full price for win 10 as it was touted as the 'best yet' by the Microsoft staff member..)

8 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having pretty much the same issue. Is there still no fix for this since this thread was created? Not even via a third party tool of some kind? Seems to be an issue specific to Windows 10. I'm using a 144Hz/1440p/G-Sync monitor and the only way for me to get proper performance in games while extending my desktop to a 60Hz/1080p monitor is to make sure all windows are minimized on the second monitor, which obviously isn't ideal. 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I ended up just using DDU to clean drivers and reinstalled. Haven't had the issue for a few months now.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2021 Views 6,840 Applies to: