Some Win32 apps missing from Start menu "All Programs" list and search

I have a screenshot here where Outlook 2013 is not appearing on the Windows 10 "All Programs" menu on Start.

This is one of many examples that I have.  I have many other programs that are missing.  Which specific programs are missing seems to be random, most of them are there but maybe 10-15% are not.

Programs that are missing also do not show up in search results on the Start menu.  If I try to pin them to Start from File Explorer, that doesn't work either.

All in all, this is pretty annoying.  For apps that don't appear on Start, the only way for me to launch them (aside from pinning them to the taskbar) is to find a shortcut in File Explorer and launch it from there.

I've tried resetting the Windows Search index, and I've made sure that the "Start Menu" folder is included in the index.  Not sure what else to do.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As Windows 10 Technical Preview is still in developmental stage, you may expect some compatibility issues as of now and some features or settings might not work as expected. The stated issue might not exist in the RTM version of Windows 10.

I recommend you to leave your findings, comments and feedback related to this product using the “Feedback app”. Members of the Windows Insider Program can provide feedback about the Tech Preview directly to our engineers by using the Windows Feedback app.

Refer to this article by “Nirmal S” to know more on “How to share feedback on Windows 10 Technical Preview?” : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp-winipp/how-to-share-feedback-on-windows-10-technical/5e501781-a580-43e3-8926-40ae19343805

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any queries related to Windows, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Harkanwar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I too have this problem in build 10240, with all available patches. Search index is freshly built and up-to-date. The problem remains: "All Apps" does not show all my apps, and searching for the missing apps doesn't find them either. Starting the shortcut manually from ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs works fine; the problem is not the programs themselves. It is the Start Menu.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been using Start10 which is able to find the programs.  It's not as good for "modern" apps though.  However, you can easily pull up either Start menu (Windows 10 native or Start10), there are many options for it.  That way I'll be able to keep an eye on this until it is fixed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aaron/Dr Pizza/Stanzilla

I am working to get some folks on the product team engaged with this issue. It being the weekend doesn't help of course but I'll come back with more news as soon as I have it.

Thanks

Arun

@aruntalkstech

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

The issue seems to affect people with more than 512 apps in their "All apps" list. To tell whether you're one of them:

1. Bring up the Start menu and search for Windows Powershell
  2. Run Windows Powershell
  3. Run the command "Get-StartApps | measure" (without the quotes) in the command window

If you see a number larger than or equal to 512 you are affected by this issue. We are working on a fix to this issue.

Thanks

Arun

@aruntalkstech

57 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for looking into this.  If there is a 512-app limit, that would certainly explain it for me.  PowerShell says I have 719 apps.  Uninstalling enough to get down to 512 is not really an option.  I will wait for you to implement a fix.  Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, I had a little over 500 apps listed and after a secure reboot all my start menu links were gone and they're missing now from all apps, too. There is no way to get Windows to recognize them again. Very annoying bug.

I brought down the number under 500 by deinstalling some stuff, but it still doesn't work. Hope this gets fixed real soon or I'll have to look at third party software for the start menu...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will day one update KB3074683 fix this issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue is not fixed with 3074683.

I've been using Start10 to work around this issue.  A 30-day trial is available.  (I'll probably keep it anyway.  There are options to easily open either Start menu when Start10 is active.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sad to hear. I could try another Start menu, but that doesn't fix the issue that Windows search doesn't find the apps, either. And that is my preferred method of startings apps since Win 8.1, I don't need a Start menu to do this.

I'll consider doing a clean install.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2023 Views 62,907 Applies to: