"Settings" won't open, from anywhere (10061)

My links to "settings" often stop working, even when it's put in the taskbar.

It just now stopped working after I booted up and checked for updates, now it wont open. A restart usually gets it working, sometimes for a couple hours, sometimes I get only one shot.

I went from 10049 to 10061, never installed any versions that weren't offered via updates. No reg hacks either.

Anyone else experience this?

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2019 Views 131,512 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you with this issue.

This issue may occur due to missing updates. As you are unable to check for updates. I suggest you to check for Windows Updates without the Start menu:

1. Tap or click the Internet Explorer icon.
  2. Type http://update.microsoft.com into the address bar and hit Enter.
  3. If you are prompted to run a control, click Yes.
  4. This should bring up the Check for Updates window. Install updates.

If no update is available, or the available updates don’t resolve the issue, reboot the device. The Start menu should come back. To reboot without using the Start menu:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press L to Lock the device. Swipe up or press Enter to get the log in screen. Use the Power icon on the log in screen to restart the computer.

OR
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R to get a Command Prompt. At the prompt, type shutdown –r to reboot the device.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Does your start menu and the search box still work properly?

84 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you with this issue.

This issue may occur due to missing updates. As you are unable to check for updates. I suggest you to check for Windows Updates without the Start menu:

If no update is available, or the available updates don’t resolve the issue, reboot the device. The Start menu should come back. To reboot without using the Start menu:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press L to Lock the device. Swipe up or press Enter to get the log in screen. Use the Power icon on the log in screen to restart the computer.

OR
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R to get a Command Prompt. At the prompt, type shutdown –r to reboot the device.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Thank you for your response.

I did check for installed updates, under update history,  and it only shows Definition Updates for Windows Defender, up to KB2267602.

I have no problems updating or using the Start menu. My problem is at least once a day the link for "settings" stops working and the only way to get it back is to restart.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Does your start menu and the search box still work properly?

Yes, they seem to be working correctly.

In fact, I read a post that mentioned that right clicking and  using "Run as administrator" lets you open items from the Start menu.

Now that I think about it, when the "settings" link stops working, I think the option to use Run as administrator disappears from right click options in the start page,

I'll confirm that next time my link to settings stops working.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

OR

Wont work for me, The Search and the Start Menu wont open. So I cant access the Update under Settings, any other idea?

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

OR

Wont work for me, The Search and the Start Menu wont open. So I cant access the Update under Settings, any other idea?

Can you get to settings by going to file explorer, this PC then hitting the link that says "Computer"?

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

OR

Can you get to settings by going to file explorer, this PC then hitting the link that says "Computer"?

Yes, i can access control panel, but cant access Windows Update trough there in W10, only with Settings Modern App, right?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

OR

Yes, i can access control panel, but cant access Windows Update trough there in W10, only with Settings Modern App, right?

Add me to this problems "List". Permissions on this build ( 10061 ) for all files were set to "Trusted Installer", if that helps anyone *cough*.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

OR

Does not work, as the script does not see IE as IE, nor when you goto the  Microsoft Download Center as the script does not see WIndows 10 as a valid Windows product ( back to the permissions issue, I presume? This build had permissions for all file as "Trusted installer" )

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't you show an "Open Settings" link like below, under system??  Even though it shows up for me it still wont open, when I get my glitch.

Sorry this didn't help.