Problem with Cortana and the start button on build 10122

When i activated Cortana, after putting my name on Cortana´s configuration, Cortana don´t work and the start button doesn´t work well, when i click in the start button the menu doesn´t open all times when  i click it. But cortana works well with project spartan 
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

do you have "let cortana respond when you say hey cortana" turned on too in cortana settings?

Occasionally my cortana stops responding (answering with audio reply). When that happens I log out of my microsoft user acct. which takes me to local acct sign in. After sign in local acct (from reboot of pc) I will use different apps then I go back to Search icon on taskbar and it usually gives me a message to login with my microsoft user acct to get best search results. I will login to microsoft user acct and go back to Search icon and click microphone and say "Hey Cortana". I then get a audio Cortana response.

Another suggeted fix for Cortana/Search fix is in following steps:

1. Launch the task manager by hitting ctrl + shift + esc
2. Click “More Details” at the bottom of the window
3. Scroll down to Background Processes and find “Search” in the list.
4. Right click Search and select End Process.
5. After a few moments (the search process will take some time to restart), please try using Speech with Cortana again.

JMarco - InsiderDev, Intel i7-3630QM, 16gb Ram,ASUS K55-A laptop - Insider Dev Build 21390.1, 240GB SSD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue.  Cortana has stopped working on all my devices.  And the start menu will randomly stop working for a few minutes and then start again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Juan Fernando Martinez

You can also try running Windows update for available update that can probability fix it. Possible cause as well of start menu not working is that your graphics driver is not updated. another thing to look at is by disconnecting your Microsoft account via sign in. or create a new local profile

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, to be more specific, the Interests do not work, nor do reminders or Favorite Places.  Cortana does respond to regular questions though.  This is not limited to my Win 10 VM, but affects both my phones running WP 10 and WP 8.1.  I've checked for updates but no change.  Is it just affecting the personalized info Cortana keeps.  I turned removed the personalized info and turned it back on again with no change.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I follow your steps, but I could not found  the "search" process in the background processes. So what can i do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Search - It should be listed in Background Processes in Task Mgr.-Processes (it has green color icon next to it)

JMarco - InsiderDev, Intel i7-3630QM, 16gb Ram,ASUS K55-A laptop - Insider Dev Build 21390.1, 240GB SSD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

do you have "let cortana respond when you say hey cortana" turned on too in cortana settings?

Occasionally my cortana stops responding (answering with audio reply). When that happens I log out of my microsoft user acct. which takes me to local acct sign in. After sign in local acct (from reboot of pc) I will use different apps then I go back to Search icon on taskbar and it usually gives me a message to login with my microsoft user acct to get best search results. I will login to microsoft user acct and go back to Search icon and click microphone and say "Hey Cortana". I then get a audio Cortana response.

Another suggeted fix for Cortana/Search fix is in following steps:

1. Launch the task manager by hitting ctrl + shift + esc
2. Click “More Details” at the bottom of the window
3. Scroll down to Background Processes and find “Search” in the list.
4. Right click Search and select End Process.
5. After a few moments (the search process will take some time to restart), please try using Speech with Cortana again.

I tried this and it didn't change anything. I have downloaded all the downloads and that has corrected nothing. I even updated and reinstalled my audio device drivers and nothing. Cortana is not ready for prime time yet. My microphone works for everything else but Cortana.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a resolution for my problem.  In the new News App in Win10, I had recently added the 'Weather News' as an Interest.  Removing the Weather News Interest resolved the problem with Cortana not showing any of my Interests.

@Juan Fernando Martinez ...hope you find a fix for your problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So where is the search process?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, Search is not there...

+ Event Viewer is reporting constant "Application Error", with SearchUI.exe being the faulty runtime. 

Basically says that cortana UI is corrupt, and can't start. 

EDIT: Solved it, apparently Cortana needs same region setting on both my phone and PC. Phone was UK, PC was US. That apparently doesn't work. Setting the PC to UK seems to have done the trick. 

#horriblesyncissuesarehorrible

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 746 Applies to: