Question

Q: How to enable Cortana in Build 10041 in Chinese, German, French, Italian, Spanish, or English (UK)

I’ve installed Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041, but I’m having some trouble enabling Cortana in one of the newly added languages (Chinese, German, French, Italian, Spanish, or English-UK).  I’ve changed my language settings, but Cortana is not working in my language. 

Answer

A:

Hi Sharief,

Currently, there is no way to fully switch an install of Windows 10 Technical Preview from one language to another.  For example, if you installed an English (US) version of Build 9926, then updated to Build 10041 and changed your settings to one of the newly enabled Cortana languages, Cortana won’t be available.  In order for Cortana to be enabled, the initial install of Tech Preview must be done in the Cortana-supported language you want to be in.

To resolve your issue, please go to Windows 10 Tech Preview ISO to install the localized builds in English (United Kingdom), Chinese (Simplified), German, French, Italian, or Spanish.  After it is successfully installed, please set your Windows Update to the Fast ring to get the update for Build 10041 and install it.  You may have to wait for the update to be pushed to you.  Once Build 10041 is released to the Slow ring, the ISO files for Build 10041 will be available, and you can directly install the ISO for the new Cortana languages without having to perform the update.

If you choose to keep your personal profile through the upgrade to Build 10041, please check the following settings and may sure they are all aligned to the same languages and/or region:

1. Go to Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language
    • Check the Country or region setting
    • Check the Windows display language (set as default) setting
  2. Then go to Settings > System > Speech
    • Check the Spoken language setting

To summarize, make sure the ISO you installed and your settings match as follows:

ISO Country or region Windows display language Spoken language
English (United Kingdom) United Kingdom English (United Kingdom) English (United Kingdom)
Chinese (Simplified) China 中文(中华人民共和国) 中文(中华人民共和国)
German Germany Deutsch (Deutschland) Deutsch (Deutschland)
French France Français (France) Français (France)
Italian Italy Italiano (Italia) Italiano (Italia)
Spanish Spain Español (España) Español (España)

Thank you.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 22,012 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: