Microsoft Edge 10576 resetting to default PDF reader

Having done most things to get PDF's in general to open in Adobe Acrobat DC (which works for about a minute), Microsoft Edge then proceeds revert back to the default PDF reader, even when closed.

I use Acrobat all the time and don't want to "Open with" every time I need a document.
Is there a Registry entry I could delete or change to stop this happening?

I have also noticed that there is often a little refresh of the icons on my taskbar. This coincides with the reset of the default PDF reader to Edge.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2019 Views 22,517 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I use Microsoft Windows since 1993... but Windows 8, 8,1 and then 10 cured me.  I will switch NOW to Apple products. Windows 10 and especially this issue with Edge hijacking file association is a scandal and extremely annoying, every day I have to change association to Acrobat Pro  (2015.010.20059.) more than 10 times.

I will now write a batch file which will kill the process of

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
and

re-associates MY FILES with MY SOFTWARE.

Anyone remembers the video of this guy smashing his PC and hitting it relentlessly with the keyboard - that is how I feel. I never thought that I could learn to hate Windows and Microsoft!!!! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You might want to try this method to stop hijacking.

Some mentions about this edit.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3032751/microsoft-windows/windows-10-forced-update-kb-3135173-changes-browser-and-other-defaults.html

www.ghacks.net/2016/02/16/beware-kb3135173-for-windows-10-may-reset-default-apps-again/

ex-MVP (2003-2012) (Windows Client)

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated my version of Winzip 17.5 to Winzip 20.0 and my files have not been hijacked since then!

I can now say that the issue I was having was directly correlated with an outdated version of Winzip. 

Thank you, Jon Saville, for the insight!

Sorry this didn't help.

i am still getting edge opening pdf's and html's - and have tried ALL the mentioned 'fixes'.

opening edge associations i am unable to untick associations for both either.

this is REALLY annoying...

any other advice suggestions welcome

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, it happens for jpg files as well.  After I reset the default file type to Acrobat for pdf files and Photoshop for jpg files, a notice pops up saying the default file type was reset to Microsoft Edge.  It's a generic problem, not specific to any particular file type.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Leslie Wand, and all other KB 3135173-related sufferers. I was in your shoes exactly, and I had tried everything suggested in this and other forums ..... except a very helpful link from Ramesh Srinivasan:

www.ghacks.net/2016/02/16/beware-kb3135173-for-windows-10-may-reset-default-apps-again/

I followed this link to an entry on ghacks.net which led to another site (winhelponline.blog) enabling the download of a registry editing ,reg file to stop the resetting of the file associations. Having tried everything, and as this also contained an "undo" file, I backed up everything, created a restore point and (with fingers crossed) ran the .reg file and reset my file associations to the programs ... sorry ... "Apps"...  I wanted to handle them. That was on Sunday. It's now Wednesday and nothing has been hijacked (.pdf, .avi, .jpg, .png et cetera) since Sunday: moreover that extremely annoying constant stream of notifications has been silenced. Enormous kudos to Ramesh for sharing this simple fix, and kudos to those behind winhelponline.blog.

As a side note, Ramesh's own fix sadly didn't work for me even though it worked for many others: with the /s (silent) component removed I always got the error message that the fix could not be applied due to a system error even though I could find no errors on the system. However, with the winhelponline.blog fix all is now well, and with the "undo" command I can go back to the normal registry settings if Microsoft ever get off their lazy butts and do something about these constant and continuing problems which have plagued so many users since the dreaded KB 3135173 update.

Sorry this didn't help.

scotsdoc - you're a wonder!!!!

many thanks indeed

leslie

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like the problem is addressed in Cumulative Update KB3140724.

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10)

"Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption."

ex-MVP (2003-2012) (Windows Client)

Sorry this didn't help.

Ramesh,

First of all, the registry fix you provided above worked like a charm. No app defaults were reset in the weeks after I installed the fix you provided. Thank you!!

After learning that Microsoft has an update to correct the app default reset, I uninstalled the registry fix you provided previously, rebooted, then installed the March 1, 2016 Cumulative update KB3140743 that included the fix: Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption.

After rebooting a second time (after the Microsoft update), I received dozens of notifications that app defaults were reset. This includes PDF's that were reset to Edge and jpeg's that were reset to Photo. I did receive a notification that the update was installed.

I guess the good news is that Microsoft is aware of the problem. The bad news is that their fix didn't work. How do I make Microsoft aware of this failure?

I'll be reinstalling the registry fix you provided.

FYI, their is one strange thing I noticed about the registry fix you provided. If I have a PDF open, and open Chrome using a "My Favorites" button on my Microsoft keyboard, Adobe Acrobat Pro closes. If I open Chrome using the start menu, it doesn't close Acrobat. I also have a favorites button that opens Documents. When I had Acrobat open and used that button, it also closed Acrobat. But, if I open documents via a desktop icon or the start menu, it doesn't close Acrobat. Very strange!

Thanks again for the solution you provided!!

Bob

Sorry this didn't help.

As a follow-up, while defaults are still being hijacked, I no longer receive notifications in the sidebar. All of a sudden I'll just notice that the defaults have been changed.

I guess Microsoft qualifies that as a fix. Hijack the default, but stop notifying us that it occurred.

Sorry this didn't help.