Windows 10 Graphic Card Problem NVIDIA GPU.

So Idk why but my pc and NVidia GeForce wont detect my NVidia 860m, If I do uninstall the driver it detects the card but shows an error with drive, but as soon as I update the driver it stop detecting it. I have tried various troubleshooting techniques, From viewing Hidden devices in Device manager and reinstalling the driver form Microsoft, to flashing my Bios couple of 100 times, I even uninstalled my Discreet Intel driver and installed the old one. But as soon as I or windows install proper drivers for my GPU , after restart the card is no more detectable by the OS. I even did a fresh windows 10 installation, to  Installing Windows 8 and than upgrading it to Win 10 . AND NO DONT TELL ME ABOUT INSTALLING IN COMPATBILITY Mode, NVIDIA Came out with WHQL Certified Drivers for Windows 10 . The first 2 pictures Below, shows what Device manager shows after i uninstall al the drivers and restart my PC, The 2 pictures following them are after I am done installing the drivers and restart my pc.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi RJ Mohammad,

For my Alienware laptop, I ended up going straight to NVIDIA's website and downloading the latest drivers for my graphics card. If you use their NVIDIA GeForce Experience app, it keeps your drivers updated with the latest and greatest ... even newer than what is pushed through Windows' official channels.

One other thing you might want to check inside your computer to insure the graphics card is properly seated in its slot. It might have slowly vibrated loose over time. Sometimes, simply unseating it and then re-seating it will fix similar issues.

I hope this helps!
David

Windows 10 ... upgrade your world!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello RJ,

First off let me say I am not support, but thought I would try to help out. There are two things I would like to ask here for more information.

1). This appears to be a laptop you are having a problem with. Is this correct?

2). If this is correct, it looks like you have installed two drivers for two different graphics cards. If you have a laptop you will have either the Intel or the Nvidia, not both. Please check the specifications for your device and determine which display adapter you have. Remove the driver for the one you don't have. This may help Windows to discover the correct one. 

So, if you have an Nvidia 860M (M meaning mobile) i.e. laptop, remove the Intel driver.

If you have an Intel 4600, remove the Nividia driver. 

A check of your laptop's specs should be able to tell you what graphics chip you are running. Hopefully, then you can install the correct driver and Windows will show your device.

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like you have a dual graphics solution, low power Intel due day to day and nvidia for gaming. I've managed to get windows 10 working on a very old alienware m11x r1 but to get the nvidia part working needed me to disable the Intel part in the bios. Try that on yours to see if it helps, from memory it's buried somewhere in the advanced options. Unless your laptop manufacturer brings out a proper combined driver for both Intel and nvidia you'll be stuck with switching the Intel part off and on in the bios. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but this advice is wrong. The laptop will contain an integrated graphics device (Intel) and a discrete video card (Nvidia) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU_switching). Do not uninstall the Intel card, download the driver for the Nvidia card directly from the Nvidia site.

Sorry this didn't help.

MIConsult59, your post is partially incorrect and could be misleading to others with this or similar issues.  Devices will not show in device manager if not physically present so this must be a high grade laptop.  My own MSI GE70 2PE has this same combination.

Many modern laptops, particuarly gaming laptops, have both an integrated graphics chip, as part of the chipset or even the processor, and a discrete graphics card, a dedicated performance card either plugged in or soldered to the board.  The drivers do the work of switichng between the two cards, normally using the integrated card to save power and swapping to the discrete card for perfomance requirements.

After looking at RJs post it appears he has already obtained an NVIDIA driver but I agree with David's post that  the NVIDIA GeForce Experience would be my first step.  Remove all other drivers, for both the Intel and NVIDIA devices, install the Experience app and allow it to download and install the NVIDIA driver and ancilliary packages then install the Intel VGA driver from Windows Update rather than a manual driver.

I hope RJ gets this sorted, I've had some issues with the move to Win10 too but it is all working well now.

Best of luck

Lee

Sorry this didn't help.

This is actually not true... (RE: MIConsult59's post) I have a laptop with both the Intel 4600 and an Nvidia 880m. Having both drivers does not make them interfere with one another, and, in fact, they both need the newest drivers in order for them to function correctly.

Use NVIDIA GeForce Experience to update the 860m driver and use Intel Driver Update Utility to update the driver for the 4600. That's how I do it, and I everything is in tip-top shape for me right now in Windows 10.

Hopefully this clears things up!

Sorry this didn't help.

There is some software called DDU that works well to remove all traces of NVIDIA (or AMD) video drivers.  This can often be a good starting point to resolving issues.  It uses a Safe Mode boot.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/?q=node/18

I would recommend trying DDU and then disabling the Intel device in Device Manager until you get the NVIDIA working right.  Are both adapters connected to separate output ports?  Do you have any option to disable the Intel in BIOS settings?

I have an NVIDIA GTX 690, which is a dual-GPU board and it seems fine with the latest driver (355.82).  Some recent versions were crashing during install, although they worked after a restart.

Is your system UEFI BIOS mode and setup that way?

Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

Sorry this didn't help.

. Win10 uses a different kenerel than the previous versions. So GG was causing it to crash. The company was refusing to patch it whike win 10 was in tech preview. But after Win 10 came out they patched it in a couple of weeks. Now works like a charm 

Sorry this didn't help.

go straight to NVIDIA's website and downloading the latest drivers for your graphic card. If you use their app, it keeps your drivers updated with the latest drivers ... 

Sorry this didn't help.

Good thing you said you weren't a support person.

First off there is no reason that you can't have more than one video card with associated driver in a system.

Secondly there is two graphic accelerators in his laptop. One is the Intel one that is part of the CPU the other is the discrete one from Nvidia that plugs into a bus slot on the laptop motherboard.

Lastly there is an ability that most current laptops have that allows them to switch between the two on the fly to preserve battery life when the more powerful Nvidia solution isn't needed.

In fact I wouldn't be too surprised if that last ability is what's mucking it all up. If I was OP I'd e-mail the support option for his make of laptop. Hopefully they have or are working on a solution. Of course this all depends on the age of the laptop, some might be too old and the manufacturer won't bother. If that's the case OP is most likely SOL.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 2, 2020 Views 6,231 Applies to: