Windows Media Center Removed/Unavailable in Windows "10" Technical Preview

So while I understand this preview is not a full blown release, it does concern me that Windows Media Center is unavailable in the Windows "10" Technical Preview. I'm not sure if this is because the product is a preview, or if this is an indicator that Windows Media Center being discontinued. I truly hope this is not the case since I would be lost without my main PC which runs Windows Media Center and my Xbox 360 extenders.

Please let me know if this decision has been made, and if you have decided to discontinue Windows Media Center, PLEASE reconsider.

Thanks,

John

Discussion Info

Last updated April 4, 2019 Views 43,578 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Extenders don't work with 8 anyway, right?

I'm running Win 8.1 Pro w/Media Center and have three Xbox 360 extenders. To the best of my knowledge, you can't use 3rd party extenders like the Ceton Echo with Win 8/8.1.

I think you can have a max of five Xbox 360 extenders.

On my copy of Windows 10, you can get WMC by going to control panel and clicking "add features", but this oddly renames the tech preview to windows 8.1 with media center 
On my copy of Windows 10, you can get WMC by going to control panel and clicking "add features", but this oddly renames the tech preview to windows 8.1 with media center 

The same thing happened to me. it still works as windows 10,  just shows as Windows 8.1 with media center, no problems so far !

JEROME MITCHELL

HI John,

I sure hope windows media center is not being discontinued. If I recall the preview for Windows 8 also did not support Media Center.  My opinion is that Media Center should be enhanced to run the digitally connected home. As  the operating system for the digitally connected home it should control the home's lights, hvac, security, door locks, and entertainment assets like the PC, Xbox, tablet and phone. Imagine Cortana controlling access to home through automation of locks, speaker system for introduction and greeting of guests, change in thermostat, security camera facial recognition of guests and intruder alerts tied to the police. Oh what could be if Microsoft had an innovation bone in its body. When will they start leading instead of copying. When will they start listening to their customers. If anyone from Microsoft wants an idea of how to make boat loads of money from an aging product just respond to this discussion thread.

What key do you use to add it? Is there one for this tech preview so you don't have to use your own?

So it's still there, and can be added after setup?

Hopefully Media Center will not be phased out yet, I still use it daily on my desktop with 8.1 Pro, not only do I prefer it over xbox video or media player, but I use it for my tv tuner as well.

Not to say I don't use the xbox video app or media player, but prefer it, especially when using my media center remote from a distance to my desktop.

*Hint to MS* please don't remove it from Windows 10 :-)

John,

I was fortune enough to run into an error on my install of Windows Preview which has not been resolved. After searching the discussion forum I discovered the following statement in in the Windows Preview system requirements important notes section:

Important notes

• Some PC processors and hardware configurations aren’t supported by Technical Preview.

• To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an Internet connection, a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768, and a Microsoft account.

• After you install the preview, you won't be able to play DVDs using Windows Media Player.

• If you have Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and you install the preview, Windows Media Center will be removed.

• The preview won’t work on Windows RT 8.1 and Windows N editions.

• The preview is not available for Windows Phone.

• A small number of older, 64-bit CPUs might be blocked from installing the preview.

• If you're running Windows 7 without SP1, you can only upgrade to the preview by downloading an ISO file. If you install Windows 7 SP1, you can upgrade to the preview by using Windows Update or by downloading an ISO file.

To say that I elated that my installed failed was an understatement. Like yourself media center is essential to my PC ecosystem. It runs my home through Mcontrol, links to XBox 360 (MY XBOX one is useless in this respect - wish I could return it) and several other home automation solutions that run through windows media center. This effectively kills my participation in the preview unless I install it on one of my other 6 PC which I would have to remove Media Center. The question for Microsoft is would you not want to test Preview in a media center environment before you release the final version. 

If Microsoft response is that Windows 10 will not support Media Center then my response would be that I am not upgrading to Windows 10. Note I upgraded to 8 even through they remove, blue ray support, extender support for third party like Ceton, and forced on us they metro interface. However, if Media center is removed that is the last straw.

I suggest that they start adding the functionality that was removed in 8 which according to a majority of the end users was the main reason that most people refused to upgrade to Windows 8. Remember why would you upgrade (even if its free) if you are being forced to abandon features that you use today. 

What key do you use to add it? Is there one for this tech preview so you don't have to use your own?

I used the same product key which I received through the promotional limited offer earlier in January,2013.

WMC will be added via “Add features to Windows Technical Preview”  using the WMC key which either you bought earlier or got through the promotional limited offer. Just the name will be changed to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, Evaluation Copy. Build 9841.

In my case it didn't ask for activation. But if I click on “Add features to Windows Technical Preview” again I am getting an unspecified error. No idea about that.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP
http://mymce.wordpress.com/
Reply In reply to deleted message
Where is cortana ???