Windows DVD Player Playback Error

I tried to play a DVD using the Windows DVD Player  and got the Playback Error code 0x8004027d.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2018 Views 14,413 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

Please reply are you using the Windows 10 DVD player App or Windows Media Player (DVD)?

I would suggest you update all your drivers from the Device Manager and see if it helps.

1. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

2. Expand the DVD/CD ROM Drives.

3. Right-click on the mentioned drive and click on Properties.

4. Go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.

5. Restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. I tried using the Windows 10 DVD player App and it doesn't read anything in the drive. I followed the steps you suggested about and "windows determined the driver was up to date".

225 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Did not work at all. Said the device driver was current.  Windows DVD Player will not play any DVD I place in it.  Says it can not encode it.  Please fix this since we have to pay to watch DVDs on our PC now.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Did not work!

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 DVD Player App, and the updating only says "Windows determined that driver is up to date." Please fix this problem with it. Also I'm not spending any money just to play DVD's I rather downgrade back to Windows 7 then to have to pay for something my laptop did before the "upgrade".

Sorry this didn't help.

This did not help. Drivers are up to date and it continues to give back the same error message with Windows 10 dvd player.

Windows Media Player does not even recognize the disk is in the drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did not help. Issue is with Windows 10 DVD Player and PowerDVD 10. DVD Player also gives Playback Error 0x8004027d. These functions worked properly under Windows 8.1 and earlier.

Completely uninstalled video driver and allowed it to reload. Made sure all Windows updates are installed. Rebooted computer (several times). 

What was broken with W10 that has worked for so long?

Sorry this didn't help.

The truth about this problem may be that Microsoft has corrupted some files by removing the Power DVD from the Windows Media Player in the move to Windows 10 from 7. So making the new one in 10 a Windows Mean Player! When I queried this first through the facilities to contact MS Help I was redirected to the Store and the Apps section where the 'fix' App was on sale. I tried to buy it with my Credit Card but their system never asked me for the Start or Finish dates for it in its processing and then told me that my card was invalid. Suspecting possible foul play might happen I spoke to my Bank who confirmed there were no problems with my accounts or Card. I then asked them to put a stop on any requests for money from MSN or associates until I asked them to remove the embargo. There are a few other disjointed programmes on my computer as well as the above one, such as for the Printer and Scanner, and the message that keeps telling me I am not allowed into my own Computer by the settings, except if I sign in through the SYSTEM entry as its Administrator. A simple person might conclude at this point that Microsoft's claim that long time users are being gifted a 'free' update to Windows 10 is not very true if one has to pay for the problems introduced by the otherwise marvellous OS improvements.

When I queried the DVD no-working problem further on the internet search I was invited to ring this number to have the problems fixed; 0800 9123 123. I did so and was assured that I was speaking to Microsoft. Jay, with an Indian accent ran some tests on my computer and told me three main things; 1, That my Dell Computer made in late 2007 was too old and I should buy a new one with Windows ready installed, and 2, because it was old files were corrupted in the updating process from 7 to 10, and 3, there were Trojan viruses in my system. I asked that she clean the errors she had identified with the REimage software she had just used. I was then told that the problems would be fixed but I had to pay £40.00. Then she tried to sell me a complete service with different costs per year depending on how many years I signed up for. I told her that this latter offer made nonsense of her claim that the computer was too old and that Trojans were hidden in some files. I asked her to fix the problems for 'free' as her advert had promised but still she went on, and on, trying to sell me services I did not want, and even to complain that I was not even going to pay her for the 4 hours she had spent determining what my computer problems were - despite the fact that we had not been talking for more than 12 minutes and 10 of those were taken up by her unwelcome sales ploys. I just hope that this site had somehow hijacked a proper Microsoft one - but how can I be sure?

Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

For Windows 7 updated to 10 this 'fix' made no difference.
Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

did not help. I believe the program itself is flawed and currently a waste of money since it doesn't work....

Sorry this didn't help.