Q: HAXM unable to install/run on Windows 10 Tech Preview This thread is locked from future replies

My Android Emulator, specifically, the x86 Atom System image, used to run on Windows 8.1. But with Windows 10 (tech prev), I keep getting an error that says HAXM needs to be installed. When I install it, another error message states that HAXM is not supported by my hardware. I checked my processor, and in fact, it is compatible with HAXM (I am running Windows 10 on Intel core i7). I wonder if this is something the Windows team is aware of, whether something has been automatically turned off/on, that blocks the use of HAXM. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Found a solution that worked for me; maybe this will help you, too. 

1. Verify that you have VT-x enabled in BIOS/UEFI as usual.
  2. Turn off Hyper-V. Completely. 
    • It intercepts and reserves VT-x to itself
    • Other apps -- including Intel's own Processor Identification Utility -- think the processor does not support hardware virtualization.
    • Type "Windows Features" in the Win10 search box to find the appropriate control panel and tell Hyper-V to die die die!!!

3. Reboot.
    • Windown 10 will apply updates and reboot (twice in my case). Get a cup of coffee. Or better, call your mother. She wishes you'd call more often.
  4. When you log back in, verify that your devices are still working.
    • I've read reports that disabling Hyper-V kills Ethernet, breaks WiFi, and steals your dog.
    • I was lucky. Everything seems to have kept working.
  5. Now you should be able to install HAXM with no problem.
    • The Intel Processor Identification Utility will now see VT-x also.

Hyper-V is so annoying.  I understand why it works the way it does, and I wish other apps would check for it before declaring that the processor does not support VT-x. There must be hooks for that, right?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Technical Preview testing.

As per my research the latest Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager that was released by Intel is compatible with Windows 8/8.1 operating system only. So, it may not work properly on Windows 10 Technical Preview. 

Make sure you have installed latest BIOS. VT-x and VT-d should be turned on in BIOS.

What is the make and model of your computer?

I would suggest you to uninstall the current version, reinstall it in compatibility mode.

To download HAX, click the following link:

For instruction on installing the application in compatibility mode, refer to this link.

Refer to the article: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Note: Suggestion in the above link are applicable to Windows 10 also.

Let us know the result. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 16,384 Last updated: March 17, 2018 Applies to: