HAXM unable to install/run on Windows 10 Tech Preview

My Android Emulator, specifically, the x86 Atom System image, used to run on Windows 8.1. But with Windows 10 (tech prev), I keep getting an error that says HAXM needs to be installed. When I install it, another error message states that HAXM is not supported by my hardware. I checked my processor, and in fact, it is compatible with HAXM (I am running Windows 10 on Intel core i7). I wonder if this is something the Windows team is aware of, whether something has been automatically turned off/on, that blocks the use of HAXM. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2018 Views 17,462 Applies to:
Answer

Found a solution that worked for me; maybe this will help you, too. 

1. Verify that you have VT-x enabled in BIOS/UEFI as usual.
  2. Turn off Hyper-V. Completely. 
    • It intercepts and reserves VT-x to itself
    • Other apps -- including Intel's own Processor Identification Utility -- think the processor does not support hardware virtualization.
    • Type "Windows Features" in the Win10 search box to find the appropriate control panel and tell Hyper-V to die die die!!!

3. Reboot.
    • Windown 10 will apply updates and reboot (twice in my case). Get a cup of coffee. Or better, call your mother. She wishes you'd call more often.
  4. When you log back in, verify that your devices are still working.
    • I've read reports that disabling Hyper-V kills Ethernet, breaks WiFi, and steals your dog.
    • I was lucky. Everything seems to have kept working.
  5. Now you should be able to install HAXM with no problem.
    • The Intel Processor Identification Utility will now see VT-x also.

Hyper-V is so annoying.  I understand why it works the way it does, and I wish other apps would check for it before declaring that the processor does not support VT-x. There must be hooks for that, right?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Technical Preview testing.

As per my research the latest Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager that was released by Intel is compatible with Windows 8/8.1 operating system only. So, it may not work properly on Windows 10 Technical Preview. 

Make sure you have installed latest BIOS. VT-x and VT-d should be turned on in BIOS.

What is the make and model of your computer?

I would suggest you to uninstall the current version, reinstall it in compatibility mode.

To download HAX, click the following link:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager

For instruction on installing the application in compatibility mode, refer to this link.

Refer to the article: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: Suggestion in the above link are applicable to Windows 10 also.

Let us know the result. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.