Your Phone app FAQ

This article answers common questions about the Your Phone app for Windows 10.

Updated (9/7/18)

Getting started

What can I do with the Your Phone app?

Depending on what kind of mobile phone you have, the Your Phone app on Windows 10 lets you:

• Link your phone and PC to unlock a variety of cross-device experiences. (Android and iPhone)
  • See recent photos from your phone on your PC. (Android only)
  • Send text messages from your PC. (Android only)

We’re working hard on new features and other improvements for upcoming updates to Windows Insiders. So, be sure to install the latest app updates on your phone and PC when we prompt you. If you have suggestions, please use the Feedback Hub app to send them to us.

How do I get the Your Phone app?

The Your Phone app is preinstalled in the most recent Windows 10 Insider Preview builds (to find it, look for the phone icon on the taskbar or select the search box in the taskbar and type “Your Phone”). Learn more about joining the Windows Insider Program.

If you’re running Windows 10, Version 1803, you can also download the app from the Microsoft Store.

What do I need to use the Your Phone app to see photos and send texts?

To use the Your Phone app to see photos and to send texts, you'll need:

• A mobile phone running Android 7.0 or later
  • A PC running Windows 10, Version 1803 or later

In addition, your mobile phone must be connected to Wi-Fi and your PC must be connected to the Internet.

To use the photos feature, you must be running Your Phone version 1.0.12091.0 or later. To use the text messages feature, you must be running Your Phone version 1.0.12354.0 or later.

Note: If you have an iPhone, you can use the Your Phone app to link your phone and PC. When your iPhone is linked, you'll be able to send webpages from your phone to your PC with Microsoft Edge for iPhone. Additional support for iPhone is being considered for future releases of the Your Phone app.

How do I set up the Your Phone app?

When you open the Your Phone app for the first time, we’ll walk you through the setup process. Here are some of the things that we might ask you to do on your PC and on your phone (the steps vary depending on how you’ve previously used Windows and various Microsoft mobile apps):

1. In the Your Phone app on your PC, sign in to your Microsoft account.
  2. Enter your mobile phone number so we can send you a companion app to install on your phone. The specific app we send you varies by the type of phone you have. Typically, we'll send you either the Your Phone Companion app for Android or Microsoft Edge for iPhone.
  3. When you receive the text message from Microsoft, tap the link to install the companion app on your phone.
  4. Open the companion app on your phone and follow the setup instructions.
  5. If you're prompted to sign in to the companion app, be sure to use the same Microsoft account that you're using on your PC.
  6. Accept the notifications on your phone that request access to your photos and other related permissions.

After you’ve completed the setup process on your Android phone and PC, you’ll be able to use the Your Phone app to see your most recent photos from your phone and to send text messages from your PC. If you have an iPhone, you'll be able to send webpages from Microsoft Edge on your phone to Microsoft Edge on your PC.

How do I provide feedback about the Your Phone app?

To report a problem or submit a suggestion, select the Feedback link in the lower-left corner of the Your Phone app. We'd love to hear from you!

See photos

How do I see photos from my phone?

After you've completed setting up the Your Phone app on your PC and the Your Phone Companion app on your Android phone, do the following:

1. Take a photo on your Android phone.
  2. On your PC, select Photos on the left side of the Your Phone app. The photo should automatically appear within a few seconds.

Tip: Make sure your Android phone is connected to Wi-Fi and your PC is connected to the Internet.

How do I copy, share, or edit a photo in the Your Phone app?

There are several ways to interact with photos in the Your Phone app. Here are a few options.

Copy

• Select and hold (or right-click) the photo, and then select Copy.
  • Select a photo and type CTRL + C.
  • Drag a photo from the Your Phone app to somewhere else (your desktop, an Office document, an email or text message, etc.).

• Select and hold (or right-click) the photo, and then select Share.

Edit

• Select (or click) a photo to open it with the Photos app. If you save your changes, they'll be saved as new file (your original photo will remain unchanged on your phone).

How many photos can I see in the Your Phone app?

To conserve storage space on your PC and minimize network bandwidth, we show your 25 most recent photos and screenshots from your phone.

As you take more photos on your mobile phone, we remove the temporary copies of the older photos from your PC. So, if you think you'll need an older photo later, be sure to copy it from the Your Phone app before it gets replaced by any new photos.

Note that we never change or delete any photos on your mobile phone.

Does the Your Phone app store a copy of my photos in the cloud?

No. The Your Phone app gets your recent photos from your mobile phone over Wi-Fi, but it does not store your photos online.

Does the Your Phone app change or delete photos on my phone?

No. The Your Phone app gets a copy of your recent photos from your mobile phone and stores the copy as a temporary file on your PC. If you delete the temporary file on your PC, it does not affect the original photo on your phone. If you use the Your Phone app to edit the copy of the photo on your PC, it does not affect the original photo on your phone.

Send text messages

How do I send text messages from my PC?

After you've completed setting up the Your Phone app on your PC and the Your Phone Companion app on your Android phone, do the following:

1. On your PC, select Messages on the left side of the Your Phone app.
  2. To start a new conversation, select New message.

How many text messages can I see?

To conserve storage space on your PC and minimize network bandwidth, we show text messages that you've received or sent within the last 30 days.

What kinds of text messages are supported?

The Your Phone app supports messages sent via SMS (Short Message Service).

The Your Phone app does not yet support messages sent via RCS (Rich Communication Services) or MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service). Some mobile operators refer to RCS as "advanced messaging" or "push messaging."

Troubleshooting

How can I fix the “We can’t connect to your phone” error?

If you see this error message, it means your PC can't connect to your phone. This can happen for a variety of reasons. Here are few things to try:

• Make sure your phone is connected to Wi-Fi (metered networks are currently not supported).
  • Make sure your PC has internet connectivity.
  • Make sure your phone is not in airplane mode.
  • Make sure your phone is turned on.
  • Make sure Battery saver mode is turned off.
  • Make sure you're signed into the Your Phone Companion app on your Android phone with the same Microsoft account as you're using on your PC.
  • Make sure you can receive app notifications on your Android phone (for example, in your phone settings, make sure Do not disturb is turned off and that app notifications for the Your Phone Companion app is turned on).
  • Make sure your system accounts are working correctly. In Windows, go to Settings > System > Shared experiences. If you see a Fix now link in the Accounts section, select the link and follow the instructions.

How do I get past the “Call us overprotective” screen?

If you get stuck on the “Call us overprotective” screen in the Your Phone app, you might need to adjust the notification settings on your phone. Do the following:

1. On your Android phone, go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. In the app list, find Microsoft Apps, and turn on notifications.

Note: In some rare cases, the steps above might not solve the problem. If you’re still stuck, try the following additional troubleshooting steps:

On your PC:

1. In your web browser, go to accounts.microsoft.com/devices, sign in with your Microsoft account, and select Unlink this phone for every phone listed.
  2. In Windows, go to Settings > Phone, and then select Unlink this PC.
  3. In the search box on the taskbar, type “Your Phone”, and then select App settings > Reset.

On your Android phone:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Your Phone Companion > Storage.
  2. Tap Clear Cache and tap Clear Data.
  3. Tap the Back arrow, and tap Force Stop.
  4. Re-open the Your Phone Companion app .

After you’ve completed these steps, open the Your Phone app on your PC and go through the setup process again.

Nothing happens when I select the “Link phone” button. How do I fix this?

In some rare cases, during the Your Phone app setup process, the Link phone button might not open a window where you can enter your phone number. If nothing happens when you select the Link phone button, try restarting your PC.

Why are some of my text messages missing?

If you're not seeing all of the text messages you expect in the Your Phone app, those messages might have been sent via RCS (Rich Communication Services). The Your Phone app does not support RCS.

In some cases, you might be able to turn off RCS by going to your Android phone and changing the settings in your default messaging app.

Note: Some mobile operators refer to RCS as "advanced messaging" or "push messaging."

Why do I get notifications on my PC for some incoming text messages but not all of them?

This is a known issue that we're actively trying to fix in a future update of the Your Phone app. Check the Your Phone app for all incoming text messages even if you don't get some notifications.

Forum Article Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 84,271 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I dont like see that the support is included into Microsoft Apps but totaly aggre the support can be in this apps but its should be included into Microsoft Launcher, or into microsoft authenticator for Android should make more sens. 

Not everybody gonna wanna use Microsoft Launcher, and in that case 2 Auth apps frome Microsoft would make more sens is stronger that Google Auth apps support more styles, so that should be options for it. 

And some people use Microsoft Launcher and 
microsoft authenticator so mabye here should just microsoft authenticator be bettre. 

But Whata hell Microsoft apps ? Its dosent do a **** its just a pointless apps some only show Microsoft own apps and in Sweden is even show Cortana even if the apps is not possibol install frome store, and all microsoft apps i have World, Excel, Launcher am just downloads it direclty frome the store. 

Why in the hell would i ever in my life wanna have Microsoft Apps installed? Is just wortless app some take space in the phone. 
 Am relly trying hard to minimaz how many apps i have in my phone, my phone should only carring apps some i use reglery every day, i dont just want installs apps just for have so many apps as possibol in my phone, i think with many apps its just take longre time navigate true the apps i want and need and see in my face. 

Microsoft Apps can have access for people some dont want to use Microsoft Launcher or Microsoft Auth, but include the support for both this as well so people some dont want to use Microsoft Apps can just skipp install wortless app. 

But Whata hell Microsoft apps ? Its dosent do a **** its just a pointless apps some only show Microsoft own apps and in Sweden is even show Cortana even if the apps is not possibol install frome store, and all microsoft apps i have World, Excel, Launcher am just downloads it direclty frome the store. 

Marketing... Advertisement... Forced ads...

« Le cœur de la Terre bat au rythme lent d'un serpent de mer. »

yehe and is why people dont want it installed = Your Phone become wortless if they dosent add support for link this in some apps some relly have a point of have installed and more usefull. 

has even talked with a drug-induced person, even that person has made better decisions even though the person was completely gone in principle.

Thanks Mikael, this is great feedback. Please submit your suggestion through Feedback Hub as well so others can upvote it. 
- Analy
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft
Feedback hub dosent support Android apps? this type of connection is any android issues. Would well be weird if changes of android apps start to be added to feedback hub atlest when Microsoft apps for phones dosent support any area in the feedback hub. 

There is a "Your Phone" section in Feedback Hub, under "Apps". Should be enough to fill a feedback.

Moreover, 

I dont like see that the support is included into Microsoft Apps but totaly aggre the support can be in this apps but its should be included into Microsoft Launcher, or into microsoft authenticator for Android should make more sens. 

Vishnu Nath, from the Microsoft Mobility team answered this on Twitter:

« Le cœur de la Terre bat au rythme lent d'un serpent de mer. »
That is great to hear and see. 

There is a "Your Phone" section in Feedback Hub, under "Apps". Should be enough to fill a feedback.

Moreover, 

Vishnu Nath, from the Microsoft Mobility team answered this on Twitter:

Not everyone is using "Launcher". If "Your Phone" is integrated there, I cannot use it, as I am not going to install "Launcher" on my phone. "Your Phone" should be an independent app, unconnected to any other MS Android app. 

Is why the function should be included into like Launcher and like Microsoft Auth should work as well, and mabye the Microsoft Apps in that case the people some dont use the Luancher or the Auth app they can just use the Microsoft Apps in that case, but for people some use other apps should not be force to use a worttless apps is why is welcome to see the include into more apps so people have a choose what apps they want to use for have the connection. 

Hi - 

I am still stuck at the call us overprotective screen.  A notification opens on my Essential phone from Microsoft apps that says "Connecting to your PC" and nothing happens from there.  There is a yellow caution on the top of the your phone screen on the PC that says "We can't connect to your phone"  During the setup portion, it did say for a moment to connect to Wifi to share your photos.  My phone does show up in the settings screen for phone and on the devices web page.  I have reset everything through all of the steps above and no progress has been made.

Is there some sort of notification that is supposed to popup on the phone other than the connecting?

Randy