Calls Feature for the Your phone app

We first announced the Calls feature at the Samsung Unpacked event in August, and you saw a live demo at last week’s Surface event. Today, we’re excited to unveil the Calls feature to the Windows Insider community. Check out this early preview and let us know what you think.

How to set up Calls?

With the Your Phone app you can make and receive calls from your phone on your PC.

The Your Phone app needs to be connected to your Android phone over Bluetooth to make and receive calls on your PC.

We’ll try to initiate the connection automatically for you. If we’re able to find your devices you’ll be prompted to allow app permissions, phone discoverability and confirm the passkey or PIN on your Android phone is the same as the one shown on your PC.

On your PC:

1. Open the Your Phone app and select Calls.
  2. Select Get Started.
  3. Follow the instructions on your PC.

On your Android phone:

• A pop-up should appear on your phone. Select Allow. You should now be connected for Calls.

What do I need to use Calls?

• You will need to be running Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build) 18362.356 or newer on your PC.
    • To check and update your Windows version, on your PC go to Settings > Updates & Security > Check for update.
    • To confirm that your PC is up to date, go to Settings > System > About and check your version number under Windows specifications.

• A PC with Bluetooth support.
  • Android phone needs to be 7.0 version or above

How do I make a call from my PC?

1. On your PC, in the Your Phone app, select Calls.

2. To start a new call, enter a number from the dial pad or search for contact name or number in the search field above the dial pad and select the dial icon.

How do I see my phone’s recent calls on my PC?

1. On your PC, in the Your Phone app, select Calls.
  2. Provide permission on your phone to sync and view your recent calls on Your Phone app.

How many recent calls can I see?

We show recent calls made or received within the last 90 days. 

Can I manage or delete my recent calls?

You can't manage or delete recent calls on your PC.

I’m having problems making and receiving Calls
We recommend carrying out the following steps before taking more advanced troubleshooting actions:

On your PC:

• Make sure Focus assist is turned off. To do this: right click the Action Center icon on the taskbar, select Focus Assist, then Off.
  • Close the Your Phone app and reopen it.
  • If none of above work, please reboot your PC.

On your Android Phone:

• Turn Bluetooth off and on again. To do this: Swipe downwards from the top of your screen to reveal the Android Notification panel, tap the Bluetooth icon to toggle off/on.

If you’re having trouble, then perform the following troubleshooting steps:

Your phone and PC may have failed to automatically connect via Bluetooth. Try to connect your devices manually by:

1. Swipe downwards from the top of your screen to reveal the Android Notification panel. Tap and hold the Bluetooth icon.
  2. A list of nearby devices will be displayed. Locate the name of your PC in this list and tap on it.
  3. You should see notifications on both your Android phone and Windows 10 PC. Tap or click on these toasts to confirm.
  4. The connection process should now be complete, and you’ll be able to use the Calls feature.

If you’re still unable to use Calls - make sure the Your Phone app on your PC is closed, then do the following:

On your Android phone:

1. Open your phone Settings app.
  2. Tap Connected devices > Connection preferences > Bluetooth.
  3. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
  4. Next to the paired device that you'd like to change, tap Settings.
  5. Select unpair (or 'forget').

On your PC:

1. Select Start > Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
  2. Select your Android phone from the list.
  3. Select Remove device.
  4. Confirm the removal.
  5. If there's another entry for your phone, make sure you unpair it too by following steps 2-4.
    Make sure the Phone is not on the list.
  6. Open Your Phone app and set up Calls

Forum Article Info

Last updated December 6, 2019 Views 22,077 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

At the very end, for the last of the troubleshooting steps, shouldn't I complete the android part (step 1-5) before I complete the above PC part (step 6 in particular)?
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Yes, Shawn. That is my mistake, I am doing an edit right now and will include that swap.

Paul...

No worries. I had to clear up my PCs Bluetooth settings (my Pixel 3 phone was listed multiple times in there since I've used it for dynamic lock) but after getting it cleaned up the pairing process went smoothly as did my test call. Love this feature already.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Two things I found;

1. I couldn't work out how to select which audio device to use on the PC.  Even if I set my USB headset as default device, Your Phone seems to want to use external speakers and webcam microphone rather than headset microphone.  Your Phone doesn't appear in the modern app volume device preferences dialog to choose a program specific device.
  2. If the phone is paired to bluetooth headphones which are on, and the PC, and you initiate a call, the call directs audio through the phone speaker, not the PC.  From the phone you can attempt to choose the bluetooth connection to the PC, but it immediately reverts back to the phone speaker.  From the phone, I can select the bluetooth headphones successfully.  This means I need to have the bluetooth headphones turned off (or unpaired) for the phone to connect to the PC.

On my PC I was able to change the output device by single-clicking the Volume icon in the taskbar, then using the drop-down menu above the volume slider in the popup.  I switched between external speakers connected to the audio jack on the dock, the external speakers connected my monitor (via displayport), and the Surface Book's internal speakers in the screen panel.

But that only changes the global for all sounds being produced, so I couldn't set it "only" for the Your Phone app.

If you haven't yet, would you put your two points into the Feedback app?  Easy way to jump to the right section is to start from inside the Your Phone app: just click Settings and scroll to the very bottom to hit the Feedback button there.
Thanks; I can do this, but it appears that Your Phone ignores this setting - sound always from speakers.  I will raise via Feedback App as requested.
Hmm must be a more complicated issue than just that, it switched among all the outputs during my call. Ah the joys of preview sortware 😁

My observations.

1. I am able to make calls but the audio does not come through my laptop speakers or headphones connected to the 3.5mm jack. Even if I try to toggle (Off) the "Use phone" option in the call window it reverts back turning it on within a second. (not a bit of audio for the second too).

2. I tried switching the audio on my phone to the laptop (Bluetooth) it also reverts back within a second.

Is there a workaround for this??

LOVE IT