Maps support in Japan

The Maps app in Windows 10 Mobile TP has much better support for Japan than WP8 did in the past.

However, there are some important points missing which I want to mention:

- Lack of public transport data for directions, particularly buses (at the very least, the popular bus companies in and around Tokyo - Kanachu, Keisei, etc must be covered)

- Even in cases where public transport data does exist (e.g. for major train lines), some very strange routes are being suggested depending on exactly how the start/end locations are written

- Searching for locations by address is hit and miss. It seems search is only being done on the location name and not the underlying address. This is primarily when searching for addresses entered in Japanese language - search in English doesn't work except for the most major place names). Search does not find some names of buildings etc even when they can be seen on the map itself

Hoping to see some improvements in these areas as it will then be a very useful app.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Alas, another item sorely missed here is offline maps for Japan. Hope for this feature was the primary reason I decided to try the Insider Preview. Since there are no offline maps, I guess I'll go back to 8.1 and use maps.google.com with the Browser Pro app (which fulls supports the web-based Google Maps! A rudimentary check indicates that Project Spartan also supports it, except possibly for location services). Keep up all your hard work, and I really hope you're able to get offline maps for Japan in the release version!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I also live in Japan, and would like to see some of what MRiPL just said. Supporting transit in this region is crucial, and remember that Win10 phones in Japan will be released in the fall here as well. Since Maps is a Universal App, it just makes sense to update. If Apple is doing Transit with El Capitan, then of course MS should be in there too...

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 362 Applies to: