Lumia 830 camera error 0xA00F4271(0XC00D3704)

My brother sent me a Lumia 830 (Special/Gold Edition) AT&T Unlocked as a gift. I'm on the release preview ring currently on 10586.420. I only used this phone for 3 weeks.

I was on a festival last night and when I changed from front camera to rear camera it suddenly showed "Something went wrong". Error code 0xA00F4271(0XC00D3704). The error started showing after I updated to 10586.420.

When I try to turn on the flashlight, the phone completely freezes. I can't lock the screen, close any apps, nothing happens. Only way to make it work is by removing the battery to reboot.

I tried soft reset, hard reset, changed camera permission, uninstall and installed camera apps. Used camera 360, pro shot and many camera apps, still I am unable to use my back camera. Although front camera works perfectly.

I upgraded to Redstone build to see if my camera gets fixed but it failed to solve my problem. So I downloaded Windows Phone Recovery Tool and rolled back to 8.1 and the camera error still exists. Now I'm stuck with this problem. 

I am from Bangladesh and I don't have any warranty. I went to Nokia Care and they didn't even touched my mobile when they heard that I have no warranty. They simply asked me to give them $80 to change the camera module. I am not interested in changing the camera module with money. So is it software issue or hardware issue? Many said it may be the faulty batch. But Special/Gold edition released like 7-8 month after the normal edition. So it is very unlikely that I received the faulty batched phone. 

Please help me here. Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2019 Views 14,926 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello jAiLuCiFeRGXR,

I will update after I have someone from hardware engineering look at the devices I have. I'm well aware of the scope of this problem, as I've stated previously, I have all the incoming camera telemetry data on the exact devices that are reporting this problem. I don't need to Google it. The error is a somewhat generic hardware error so it may appear on a variety of devices (even desktop if you don't have camera drivers installed). I'm currently focusing on Lumia 830 devices as they appear to have the majority of hardware issues.

Customers experiencing this problem on new devices (Lumia 950's or out of the box devices) should return their devices to a Microsoft store or retailer from which they purchased the device once they've reset (Lumia 950's) or reverted their device back to 8.1 (non 950 devices) and confirmed the problem still exists.

Tom

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Everyone,

Not to stir the bees nest here, but this issue has been thoroughly investigated by Microsoft. Every device we investigated had a hardware issue. Like some have stated, replacing the camera module doesn't always rectify the situation. In that case there's something to do with the motherboard on the device. There's no correlation between Windows 10 software upgrade and the hardware going bad. It's more a matter of a correlation of time with a small batch of Lumia 830s. Some devices we investigated actually had moisture damage as well, particularly those with front camera issues. 

I regret to inform you that there isn't going to be a software update that will fix this issue. It's unfortunate, but some of these Lumia 830 devices seem to timebomb. At this point this device is over three years old, which isn't any comfort for those experiencing the issue, but it is an old device in comparison to recent phone technology. 

Thanks for your understanding,
Tom

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.