Save yourself an email by seamlessly dragging and dropping files between your Android phone and PC. We are excited to announce that the new File drag and drop feature is available to our Windows Insider Community.
What are the minimum requirements to use File drag and drop?
File drag and drop requires a Samsung device running Link To Windows version 220.127.116.11 or higher. Your phone and PC must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. A cable connection between devices is not required.
What types of files can I drag and drop?
Drag and drop supports the transfer of all file types apart from folders.
You can transfer up to 100 files at a time, of any type. No single file can be larger than 512MB in size.
How do I use File drag and drop?
Whether you're transferring content from your phone to PC, or your PC to phone, you'll first need to open the Your Phone app on your PC and go to Phone screen.
Dragging files from your phone to your PC
Note: You can currently drag from your phone’s Gallery app or from the Samsung My Files app only.
To drag from My Files:
1. Once you've opened Phone screen in the Your Phone app, use your mouse to navigate to a folder in My Files.
2. Long press on the file until a checkmark appears, then release. If you'd like to select additional files, you can do so by tapping on them.
3. Use your mouse to long press again on the file(s) you've selected, and a thumbnail will appear. Drag the files to your desired location on your PC. The cursor will change to indicate when you're able to drop the file(s).
To drag from the Gallery app:
1. Once you've opened Phone screen in the Your Phone app, use your mouse to navigate to your Albums and select one.
2. Long press on a photo until a checkmark appears, then release. If you'd like to select additional photos, you can do so by tapping on them.
3. Use your mouse to long press on the photo(s) you've selected, and a thumbnail will appear. Drag the photo(s) to your desired location on your PC. The cursor will change to say Copy when you are able to drop.
Dragging files from your PC to your phone
1. Once you've opened Phone screen in the Your Phone app, use your mouse to select the file(s) you'd like to transfer and drag them to the Your Phone app window. The cursor will change to say Copy when you're able to drop.
2. Release the mouse and your file(s) will start transferring. A progress indicator will show for a few seconds.
When a successful file transfer is made, you can either tap the notification that appears on your Android device, or navigate to your Internal Storage > Download folder to view your files.
If you drag and drop the same file again, a duplicate copy will be transferred to your device.
If you have an app open that supports receiving files, the app will prompt you where to drop the file(s), and where they will be stored.
I’m having problems dragging files from PC to phone
You may see a red circle when attempting to drag files – this indicates a drag operation cannot be started.
This could happen for several reasons, some of which include:
· There is already a drag operation taking place. Presently, only one drag operation at any given time is supported.
· The item being transferred is not supported. For example, if you’re dragging more than 100 files or if even just one of the items you are dragging is a folder and not a file, the phone will not allow you to initiate a transfer.
Note: Minimizing the Your Phone app during drag and drop will cancel the transfer process and you’ll have to start over.
- Transferring of folders is currently not supported in either direction
- Transferring files from My Files to PC on devices other than the S20 series and the Z flip requires an update to the My Files app which Samsung is gradually rolling out this month. Dragging images from the Gallery app to PC is well supported on all phone screen capable devices
- If you drag out a file quickly from the phone it may result in transfer failure
- Minimizing Your Phone app during transfer will cancel the transfer in progress. Feature requires Your Phone app to be open during the entire transfer
- Maximum number of files per transfer is limited to 100, only one transfer at a time is allowed