XPS 15 7590, overheating when idle or asleep in S0 Modern Sleep Mode - After upgrading to Windows 11

This issue popped up for me AGAIN after updating my XPS 7590 to Windows 11.  Prior to upgrade to Windows 11 Modern Standby was working fine.  Since Windows 11 update fans randomly spool up during sleep.

Initial troubleshooting:  Updated to the

*Latest drivers from Dell

*Latest Windows update

*Latest BIOS

Tried forcing S3 sleep with the following command in the CMD prompt: reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

This fixes the overheating/fand in sleep BUT kills Bluetooth in S3 sleep.

Current workaround:

1. Enabled hibernated in command prompt: powercfg.exe /hibernate on

2. Switched from Sleep to Hibernate in the Control Panel->Power Options under all scenarios when sleep would normally be initiated: closing lid, pressing power button 

3. Set Sleep to "Never" in the New Windows Settings app (both plugged in and on and battery)

4. Set to Hibernate when on battery power after 15 minutes in Control Panel->Power Options->Advanced Power Setting (Always on when plugged in).

So far this seems to be working.  Suboptimal but OK

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, not sure where really to start but I appreciate the info on the system. Since that situation may be involved but no way to tell so I will assume it isn't.

You say your fans were coming on when the system is in modern standby. If you system had been operating normally, there should have been nothing that would have caused enough heat to turn those on. I assume you have done a Sleep Study report and you know how much power was being used while in Modern Standby..

It would not be unusual for a build upgrade to make certain changes which could effect your situation. Several years ago, some other folks not happy with Modern Standby were making registry edits. Eventually, those changes were no longer effective and could even cause problems for the system.

It might be best, for testing, if you would put all the original settings back and remove any registry changes. I keep my system with a display turning off in about 15 minutes on battery. I set it to go into hibernation after an hour or two.

The sleep setting did have an effect on my system and would stop some utilities from working if the sleep timer ran out before hibernation kicked in.

Fast Startup - On which also allows hibernation but make sure hibernation is allowed.

Then set your timers. Maybe something will change and give us a better picture of what is happening. Also creating the graph with the perfmon /rel command might give some good info.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

It seems the problem only occurs when entering modern standby while connected to the Dell TB19 dock. The issue does not occur when on battery power or connected to a regular power supply.

The sleep report shows DHCP as the top offender 87% of the time. Does that mean ethernet activity is causing the dock to wake up the computer from sleep?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, hibernation is not available in advanced power options unless I add the following registry entry: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Which also forces S3 sleep instead of S0.

The fans are not turning on during S3 sleep (even when connected to the dock) BUT Bluetooth does not wake up when exiting S3 sleep.

So as of right now I have restored the default settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have my 9365 2-in-1 in Win 11 so hard to judge if you should have something. But Win 10 does show the option in Advanced Power settings in the Sleep section.

The powercfg /a should show you what states you have.

My system shows S0, Hibernate and Fast Startup.

I do not have S1, S2 or S3. or hybrid sleep.

Power options may be dependent on the video driver you have installed.

If your system was behaving the same way in Win 10, then something out of the ordinary is causing it. Fans coming on while in low power mode is unusual, if it actually was in low power mode.

Bluetooth needs the SoC (System on a Chip) to be functional so it can receive that signal.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Dock I could check but not your version. I have not used it enough to notice anything.

If the fans do come on with the dock, maybe the system is getting hot while charging..

TB and external devices may also be involved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you think the system is waking up, run the powercfg /lastwake command just after it happens.

The DHCP may be because the system partially turns on in order to receive incoming traffic.. It is suppose to act much like a smart phone. Sadly, as far as I can tell, mine never has.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help!

My system shows S0, Hibernate and Fast Startup just like yours. Though hibernate only started showing after enabling it with a command prompt.

Despite that, hibernate is still disabled in Advance settings under sleep. If I apply the registry hack hibernate comes back.

More importantly, it appears the new Killer Network Driver Dell just released on 9/24 fixed the problem. I haven't noticed the problem today. I also noticed that the Power Management tab has disappeared for the Ethernet Card in Device Manager with the new driver.

Last wake now shows - 0 ... Fingers crossed, maybe the network driver fixed my problem

Will keep monitoring.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, quite a few things happening.

First, a Wi-Fi adapter does not normally have a power management tab on a Modern Standby system. It is managed by the system.

Windows 10/11 will normally keep close track of drivers for the Wi-Fi card. Since It is now Intel Killer, it does get confusing. what model of the Wi-Fi card do you have?

You really should not need a registry hack to get hibernation. Is there any chance you made a registry edit you have forgotten about?

Sounds like you are moving in a good direction, hopefully it continues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there,

So it seems the problem has been resolved with the latest Killer networks driver update.
My Wi-Fi Card is Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x (200NGW)

And hibernation was indeed disabled by default before I started troubleshooting.

I got it to show up in the power menu after: (a.) enabling via the command prompt powerconfig.exe and (b.) changing the advanced settings in the Control Panel->Power Options->System Setting -> "Change Settings that are currently unavailable" and ticking the Hibernation box

However, it still does not show up in Power Options -> Advanced Settings by default, even after the first 2 steps above. The only way Hibernation shows up in Advanced Settings if I insert the PlatrormOverride key in the registry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0). Ofcourse that setting also changes Sleep from S0 to S3.

As far as the Power Management tab, I swear I saw it in the previous version of the Killer Driver because I specifically looked for that setting, thinking it may be the culprit. Maybe that previous driver is what caused the standby problem in the first place?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe given some time the system will straighten out.

My 9365 has an Intel 8265 card and I have never seen a power management tab in 4 years. Things do change, however, so your system may have some differences.

If you have never done a sleep study, you might try that, it can be very interesting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 27, 2021 Views 2,160 Applies to: