Windows XP Virtual Machine under Windows 10

I currently run Microsoft Money on  a Windows XP virtual machine that is included as part of Windows 7 Professional.    Note I do not have a separate install CD/DVD and licence it is the XP machine built into this version of Windows 7.

My question is what will happen if I take the free upgrade to Windows 10, will access to this virtual machine and with it access to my Money files?

I opted for Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 when I purchased the computer entirely because the virtual machine was not in Windows 8.

Alternatively is Windows 10 capable of installing and running Microsoft Money 200o and other legacy software without a full virtual machine?

I posted this under "install, upgrade and activate" as I suspect that it will be during this process I could lose my VM and its contents.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Technical Preview testing.

You can take the free upgrade to Windows 10 and install the programs in compatibility mode if any program is not compatible with Windows 10.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note:
You need to re-install the virtual machine after upgrading to Windows 10.

Post us the results after you try the above steps.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows XP mode does not work in Windows 8.x or Windows 10. Hyper-V is the replacement to this program, but you need to be running 64-bit Windows to install it. The other problem with Hyper-V is you still need the install media to setup a XP Virtual Machine. I have not tested it, but I would think that your MS Money 2000 should be able to run directly within Windows 10 though it might have to be in compatibility mode as Vijay has suggested. Have you ever tried to see if you could install the program directly into Windows 7? If it runs there, It should be able to run in Windows 10.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 11,870 Applies to: