Windows Sandbox not working

Split from this thread.

please i have upgraded my windows 10 pro build 1809 to build 1903 yesterday but the windows sandbox is not working. i try the checking it on the windows features but it has not gain focus. please what do i do?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You may need to enable virtualization settings in your computer BIOS or Firmware menus that you can access only during power-up.
Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

please i have upgraded my windows 10 pro build 1809 to build 1903 yesterday but the windows sandbox is not working. i try the checking it on the windows features but it has not gain focus. please what do i do?

Depending on your 1903 build number, there's a known issue regarding Windows SandBox:

"After installing this update (KB4495666), users may experience error “0x800705b4” when launching Windows Defender Application Guard or Windows Sandbox. As a workaround, you can enable the following registry keys on the Host OS and reboot:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Containers\CmService\Policy]

“DisableClone”=dword:00000001
“DisableSnapshot”=dword:00000001"

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/03/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18362/#RqJ3JCru6cS4yOVL.97

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Sandbox failed to start

Regardless of

The

Error Messages

A Work Around

To get

Windows Sandbox

Working again

Created

By

Eric O’Malley

10/06/2019

Well I work out a solution to get Windows Sandbox going again  its not the best solution but work around follow the steps below and hope it works for all of you guys.

1. The first thing you have to do is turn off Windows Defender Random Folder Protection or the anti virus random folder protection.

2. Next turn off Windows defenders Tamper protection Or the Anti-Virus Tamper protection

3. Once that turn off Go to Control Panel open it

4. Location Administrative Tools

5. Next head to Services and open that

6. Scroll down to Container Manager Services

7. Turn off Container Manager Service only

8. Leave service screen open but minimize it

9. Next go to control panel location and open File Explorer Options

10. In File Explorer Options Untick the following:

• Don’t Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drivers

• Hide Empty Drivers

• Hide Extensions Known Files Types

• Hide Merge Conflicts

• Hide Protected Operating Systems Files

1. Now move File Explorer Options to one side of your screen

2. Go back to Control Panel

3. Locate and open Program and Features

4. Go to Turn Windows Features on or Off open it

5. Scroll down to Windows Sandbox

6. Untick Windows Sandbox

7. Click ok to uninstall Windows Sandbox

8. Close off only the screen that removed Windows sandbox

9. Next go to your main drive usually C: Drive

10. Location ProgramData

• We need to get to this location (C:\programData\Microsoft\Windows\Containters\Sandboxes)

1. Even open it or expand ProgramData

2. Locate Microsoft open it or expand

3. Scroll down to Windows open it or expand

4. Now go to the folder called Containers open it or expand

5. Now you should see Sandboxes

• You Should be at this location Now

(C:\programData\Microsoft\Windows\Containters\Sandboxes)

1. Now in that folder Sandbox is folder that looks like this

• 4040f074-2ff6-471c-9f38-4836db85fff6

• Inside it is sandbox.vhdx

1. What we need do is delete all the strange folders keys that’s in

(C:\programData\Microsoft\Windows\Containters\Sandboxes)

1. If it does not delete just wait a few seconds and try again

Caution do not delete the folders from recycle bin yet

1.  Next go to the folder below it called Zygotes

(C:\programData\Microsoft\Windows\Containters\Zygotes)

Repeat the steps you did at Sandboxes and delete the strange folder keys with its contents but do not delete what’s in recycle bin.

1. Repeat the step you did at Sandboxes and delete the strange folder key with its contents

2. If it does not delete just wait a few seconds and try again

3. Now move the open explorer screen to one side of the screen

4. Head back to control panel

5. Locate and open Program and Features

6. Go to Turn Windows Features on or Off open it

7. Scroll down to Windows Sandbox

8. This time re-tick Windows Sandbox and close and allow it to reinstall the sandbox

9. Close only the install screen

10. Go back to services and Restart Container Manager Service

11. Leave Services screen open move it to once side again.

12. We now head to Start then Settings

13. Scroll until you find Windows Sandbox click it twice.

14. Wait and see how the screen opens if it give you another error repeat this process

15. When you open Windows Sandbox it should hang for 5 to 10 minutes without any error message

16. What it’s doing is rebuilding its image then it opens back to what it was in default settings.

17. Once you have sandbox reopened and its got the icons load close it pressing the red X

18. Then reopen Windows Sandbox to see if it opens up again.

19. If it does you fixed it.

20. Now we can turn back on

• Windows Defender Random Folder Protection or the anti virus random folder protection

• Windows defenders Tamper protection Or the Anti-Virus Tamper protection

1. Retest Windows sandbox will open again with the above turned on

2. If it does the next thing is to restart your computer and Repeat the opening of Windows sandbox.

3. Once all is well your right to continue.

Created by

Eric O’Malley

10/06/2019

**** No

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow Eric, that is quite the work-around!  Nice job.  I will just wait for Microsoft to fix the bug.  The Windows 10 sandbox feature is a good tool to have, but I can wait to use it.  I have used "Sandboxie" in the past and liked it.  The sandbox will be a nice addition to Windows once they work out the bugs.  God Bless!

Sorry this didn't help.

I will just wait for Microsoft to fix the bug.

The bug has been fixed long ago.

You may experience an unusual long delay but eventually SandBox opens and works as expected.

Sorry this didn't help.

Must be a new bug then ... When I try to launch, I get an Error 0x0370106.  The Virtual Machine or Container exited unexpectedly. 

A google search indicated that others were having the same issue. I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 with the latest updates.

I did not see a solution or even an acknowledgement of the issue from Microsoft yet.   Since so many others are having the same problem, I am guessing that Microsoft knows about it and is working on a patch.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Must be a new bug then ... When I try to launch, I get an Error 0x0370106.  The Virtual Machine or Container exited unexpectedly. 

A google search indicated that others were having the same issue. I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 with the latest updates.

I did not see a solution or even an acknowledgement of the issue from Microsoft yet.   Since so many others are having the same problem, I am guessing that Microsoft knows about it and is working on a patch.  

I must apologize and admit that I was wrong.

Today I spent a great deal of time trying to make SandBox work on 1903 clean installs (with and without updates) but came up empty handed, it doesn't work and trows the same error.

The strange thing is that works fine on my FULL 1903 OS which has been updated over time since 1809 and has tons of updates plus many extra apps, drivers, etc.

I supposed it's one of those bugs that affect only some users and for unknown reasons.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did learn something new those do not stop the service remote desktop connection manager with sand box open it immediately send up a blue screen and restarts your computer then hangs took about 45 minutes but got it working again.

These are the errors I being coming across with Sand box errors and they appear regardless of system build and updates.

0x03A00D

0x80070057

0X8007003

0x80072746

0x0370106

Are all related to these services

Container Manager Services

Application Guard Container

HV Host Service

Host guardian client service

Hyper-V host computer

Error 0x80072746 happens if you have Windows sand box open to the desk top and you try and turn on Hyper-V host computer service its automatically give you the error then sandbox shutdown and disappears from screen.

Then when you go to reopen you get error 0x80070057 which can also occur if you turn also try and log off, shut down or restart sandbox from inside the Windows sandbox and or if you connect extra hard drive or thumbdrive.

Error 0x80070003 occurs if you delete sandbox keys from Zygote and sandboxes under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers (pathway) this is due to not stopping another service and restarting the computer.

Error 0xc03a00d occurs when you only delete the sandbox folder key from

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\Sandboxes (folder)

Then try to reopen it without restart of the computer.

Error 0x0370106 is no different from the other errors they react differently to the computers setup and the services in operations that true its just trying to work out the order of the services you need to either turn of or restart to if its a simple matter of just opening and shutdown down sandbox until it opens correctly.

I notice sandbox will throw up different error all the time especially after a new update or application has been add.

Sandbox in my eyes need hell of make over its function and testing is way too limited for a real world testing of software it’s in current form its more about just seeing if software installs you can do that on any machine setup and is extremely pointless useless thing.

I sat here today and did not turn off any off the services or delete sandbox keys after a error just opening closing sand box ran normally after 4 hours of this that new issue in itself which suggest that indexing, scanning tools in the back ground and windows search is playing a bit of role in these errors too.

Overall I think each person will get different results for different errors you just have to be patient and work out what is best for your problem to solve it there no easy one fix all solution here until Microsoft develops get off there back side and fixes the issue which they are unlikely to do its already been a month and still no fix and new errors are within Windows 10 Version 1903 build 18362.207 that are popping up for sandbox all the time for different users too.

**** No

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried Windows Sandbox yesterday and today on build 18362.10000 (19H2).  Sandbox launches rapidly and appears totally normal for me.
Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried Windows Sandbox yesterday and today on build 18362.10000 (19H2).

"please i have upgraded my windows 10 pro build 1809 to build 1903 yesterday but the windows sandbox is not working."

"I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 with the latest updates."

"Today I spent a great deal of time trying to make SandBox work on 1903 clean installs (with and without updates)..."

"Overall I think each person will get different results for different errors you just have to be patient and work out what is best for your problem to solve it there no easy one fix all solution here until Microsoft develops get off there back side and fixes the issue which they are unlikely to do its already been a month and still no fix and new errors are within Windows 10 Version 1903 build 18362.207 that are popping up for sandbox all the time for different users too."

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2020 Views 6,933 Applies to: