Windows Copilot Preview is messing up the desktop icons arrangement even when it has plenty of space to open the sidebar.

Windows Copilot Preview has a major issue, when it opens the sidebar on the right side of the screen it screws up the desktop icons arrangement completely.

In some machines the arrangement is restores by simply closing the Copilot side bar, but in other machines the mess of the desktop icons arrangement is permanent and has to be manually restored, this is an unacceptable annoying bug that needs to be fixed.

This bug has been reported months ago, but never fixed.

Now with Build 22621.2361 MS released this mess to the general public.

I had to restore a backup to get my desktop back in this machine, this below is the mess created by opening Copilot. 😝🤷‍♂️

The bottom picture was the original desktop.

For now, I just disabled copilot in the settings so that I don't open it by mistake. I'll be waiting for a proper fix. 😝🤬

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Windows Copilot Preview has a major issue, when it opens the sidebar on the right side of the screen it screws up the desktop icons arrangement completely.

In some machines the arrangement is restores by simply closing the Copilot side bar, but in other machines the mess of the desktop icons arrangement is permanent and has to be manually restored, this is an unacceptable annoying bug that needs to be fixed.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that the icon's position in the taskbar is non-negotiable. It installed itself on the left side of the taskbar and there was no moving it.

I didn't spend a lot of time fighting it. Went to "taskbar settings," and just switched it off. Everything back to normal. Interesting what you report, that it behaves differently on different machines.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I didn't spend a lot of time fighting it. Went to "taskbar settings," and just switched it off. Everything back to normal. Interesting what you report, that it behaves differently on different machines.

Yes, different behavior, in some cases appears to be related to different display adapters and drivers, but it is not clear why they cannot just leave the desktop alone. There is a similar bug when using taskbar autohide, they just screw up the desktop icons arrangement.

This is the 1st machine that causes a permanent screwup and does not revert the arrangement back when I close the copilot sidebar.

The bottom line is that I had to disable this messy feature at least till they come out with a fix. 🤣🤣🤬

Thanks a lot MS, you can keep you A.I. (aka Absolute Idiocy). 😂😂😂😵‍💫

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.

Thanks for the confirmation, please upvote the FBH report.

This same problem was reported long time ago with other insider builds, but MS seems to ignore it. 🤐🤷‍♂️

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is another puzzle, on this other desktop the Copilot sidebar is not disturbing the desktop layout. (Dell XPS 8940 with RTX 3060).

Same display Resolution and settings of other desktops that fail.

You can see here from the screenshots below that the layout of the desktop stays the same with or without the Copilot Sidebar, there is plenty of space on the right of the screen for the sidebar.

Another mystery! Why the different behavior on different desktops with UHD displays? 😎😎🤷‍♂️

Edit:

I think I figured out what is causing the different behavior, this Desktop has a Z-EDGE Generic Monitor (U27I4K) while the Desktops where the icon's arrangement gets messed up are Samsung Generic Monitors using this same Microsoft driver 10.0.22621.1928, but the displays size is much bigger, 40 inches on one machine and 43 inches on the other. All 3 are set for 150% Scale which is recommended in the display settings for the 27-inch monitor but not for the other 2 bigger Samsung monitors which show a Recommended Scale of 300%.

I tried setting the Scale to 300% as recommended in the display settings and that seems to fix the icons rearrangement issue, but clearly a Scale of 300% is not what I'm working with nor what I want, it just wastes a lot of space in my desktop. 🤬

Microsoft needs to fix the problem to work correctly with the Scale mostly used and not just with the Scale recommended.

This is ridiculous, they have the same bug when the Autohide in the taskbar is used.

The only workaround is by disabling Copilot and also not using Taskbar Autohide. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤬

Come on Microsoft you can do better than that. 😂😵

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Bert22306, @gelund,

See my last post, I think I figured out why the different behavior.

Would be interesting to see which monitor you guys are using and if the Scale in display settings is the Recommended one or not.

Looks like MS only tested this stuff with the Recommended Scale.

With 2 of my big screens the Scale recommended is 300% which is quite ridiculous and a waste of space.

All my PCs are set for the same Scale of 150% to get a consistent icon's layout.

I'm not going to change that just to use this lousy Copilot faulty app. So much for A.I. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This same problem is also affecting the ability of using Auto Hide for the Taskbar.

That was also reported several months ago, but MS never fixed that either. 😝

Note that problem with Taskbar Autohide also happens with the Scale recommended.

This is like opening a can of worms. 😜😜🤬

Why don't they open just a standard window for Copilot instead of that stupid Side Bar?

Looks like the Office for the Complication of Simple Affairs. 🤣🤣🤣🤬🤷‍♂️

If they just open a window, it can also be moved where it is more convenient.

Why this nonsense on the right side of the screen?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.

So do I. I have an NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti with the latest drivers, Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO motherboard and Intel Core i9-12900K processor.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.

So do I. I have an NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti with the latest drivers, Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO motherboard and Intel Core i9-12900K processor.

Can you show the display settings? Resolution and Scale.

Seems to be worse when the scale is not the Recommended one. 😂😂😝

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Scale 100 %

Display resolution 1920 x 1080 (recommended)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Scale 100 %

Display resolution 1920 x 1080 (recommended)

Is the Scale the recommended one in your display?

Looks like they have the problem with any other settings. 😂😂😵‍💫

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 2,532 Applies to: