Windows can't set up a Homegroup on this computer?

I have used my Insider computer to join my Homegroup successfully for many builds. The Homegroup was started on a Windows 7 laptop and the printer is wired to the Insider tower. My laptop sees the Windows 10 tower and has printed wirelessly for a lot of builds.

But since build 10586.36 and including this one 11082.1000 all I get is Windows cannot set up a Homegroup on this computer.

If I connect my Windows 10 b.10586.29 computers wired to my printer ( 32bit & 64bit ) they have no problem joining the Homegroup and my laptop can print wirelessly.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check if it works for you.

Method 1: The Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider services must both be running. Follow the steps to check the same:  

1.      Press Windows + X keys and click on Control Panel. In the search box, type Administrative Tools, and then click Administrative Tools.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.      Double-click Services.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.      In the Status column next to the Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider services, you should see the word "Started." If you don't see this, double-click the name of the service, and then click Start button.

Method 2: If you haven't tried the built-in Network Adapter and HomeGroup troubleshooter, the run the troubleshooters and check if it helps. This troubleshooter will help you fix common issues with HomeGroup. 

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooters:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click on Control Panel.

b. Open Troubleshooting and click on View all.

c. Search for Network Adapter troubleshooter and HomeGroup Troubleshooter. Click and open the troubleshooters one by one and follow the prompts to run it. 

Method 3: Disable Windows Firewall temporarily and check if the issue persists. This is to check if the issue is caused due to any settings related issues in Firewall. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/Windows-Firewall-from-start-to-finish

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software/Firewall can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software/Firewall. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software/Firewall is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your answer Jenith. Method 2 I had already tried and has no effect. Temporarily stopping Defender and Windows Firewall doesn't change anything either.

With Method 1 and Services, Homegroup Provider shows

it is running, set to manual and start is therefore greyed out.

Peer Networking Grouping shows

that it is set to manual and that Windows cannot start it. Error 1068

Old Mig15 Pilot
Boeing has beaten Airbus in quarterly sales for the first time in more than two years following the grounding of its 737MAX.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first thing to check is the Network & Sharing Center. It sounds like the Advanced Sharing Settings need to be reset to Private and File and Printer sharing selected. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The strange thing is, I have 1 pc tower with 3 HDD's; 1 the Insider 64 bit Windows 10, 1 Windows 10 64bit and the 3rd Windows 10 32bit. I do NOT triple boot, I connect each drive individually. I reconnected the other drives in turn. They both updated to Windows 10 v.10586.36 and they both remain part of the laptops Homegroup and they both print wirelessly to my Epson printer wired to the Windows 10 computer.

But if I reconnect the Windows Insider HDD wired to the printer, my laptop cannot print wirelessly to the printer and the Insider version 11082.1000?

What exactly is different between the Windows 10 offered for retail and the Insider version of Homegroups?

Old Mig15 Pilot
Boeing has beaten Airbus in quarterly sales for the first time in more than two years following the grounding of its 737MAX.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got an email this morning asking if this problem had been resolved and to give an update.

No the problem has not been resolved and it still occurs.

All of the settings that worked in earlier builds of Insider Preview are unchanged.

If I switch to the release versions of Windows 10 the same settings work and I can print wirelessly.

I am using the same pc tower and equipment. The only thing that is different is the HDD and the OS.

This was no problem for me on almost all of the earlier builds of Insider Preview with the exception of the very first one or two. But since build 10586.36 Windows finds a problem.

Old Mig15 Pilot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2021 Views 1,294 Applies to: