Windows asks for my password twice after installing Fall Creators update

Hi,

I see the new lake photo login screen, but when I enter my password, it immediately returns to the same screen.  Entering it a second time works.  I've tried both using a PIN and password - it makes no difference.  What does make a difference is bitlocker - turn it off and it only asks for my password once.  I reverted back to pre Fall Creators update, and the issue is no longer present - even with bitlocker enabled.  Just as a final test, I disabled bitlocker, updated to the new Creators update and all was good - it just asked for my password once.  I enabled bitlocker, and the issue returned.

Thanks,

Answer
Answer
I will tell you what worked for me...I executed netplwiz and unchecked the box requiring that users use a password to login.  I then rebooted and no password or login was required and i went right to my pc desktop.  I then executed netplwiz again, checked the box requiring a password, rebooted and was presented with the pin/password prompt.  I entered my pin and everything works as normal.
utdetorres

92 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

While investigating the posted netplwiz disable/re-enable suggestion, I saw and attempted another approach that fixed it without double restart

when I launched netplwiz I noticed that the list of users wasn't quite right. I saw the "HomeGroupUser$" record then my microsoft email I use as a login listed twice. The first entry was only a member of "HomeUsers" when the second had my actual group membership (additional entries for Administrators, Ssh users, etc) on top of the normal HomeUsers group

This looked wrong, so I removed the duplicate entry that was missing most of the group membership entries and only had the HomeUsers one, then rebooted. Sure enough, upon logging in it only required the pin one time.

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 22,829 Applies to: