Windows 8.1 / 10TP - US keyboard layout appears randomly even though it is removed from IME

Hello,

I would like to note that this thread is continuation from Twitter where @GabeAul sent me over here to talk about issue I am experiencing in Windows 8.1 and in Windows 10 build 9789 and 9901.

Link:

https://twitter.com/cadenzza92/status/554423665014878210

So, without further ado:

http://i.imgur.com/derQvUQ.png

My keyboard layout switches to US what appears to be random. I use Croatian layout (QWERTZ) and Croatian is only language in Input Methods list. However, after using some programs and playing some games my keyboard switches to US and then I need switch it back via Win+Space shortcut.

The thing is - this occurs randomly. Most of the time it is fine, keyboard layout stays the same but in cases where it doesn't stay - well, then I am not so happy.

Language bar is for the most of the time hidden from taskbar but when US keyboard layout is active than it is visible in taskbar and I can switch between layouts.

Currently I am using Windows 8.1 Pro build 9600.17284 with latest updates, including that infamous Google update, downloaded from MSDN.

Currently I am waiting on Win10 b992x or whatever the case will be after Jan 21st.

I would be glad to provide additional info if you folks need 'em. Happy to help.

Regards,

Mario

Answer
Answer

Perhaps I can help you :)

When this happens, there are a few possible workarounds/causes.

Firstly: To get your language list back in sync, open the language control and add all the languages/input method combinations that are listed in your input flyout but not your language control panel (in Mario's case, that would be English (United States) - US Keyboard), and then remove them again. This will force a re-sync between the two.

Secondly: If you find that the these input methods keep coming back, it's possible that this is because they are active in your system account. To force your system account to match your own language preferences, press WIN+R and enter "intl.cpl" to open the legacy region control panel. Switch to the Administrative tab and click "Copy settings...". In the new dialog, click the "Welcome screen and system accounts" checkbox and click OK. Now your system account will have an identical language list to your own.

Thirdly: As to the general issue of unexpectedly switching keyboards, this is often caused by accidentally using the legacy language/input switching hotkeys (ctrl+shift and alt+shift, as opposed to the new one - WIN+Space). These can be turned off by opening the language control panel, clicking advanced settings > clicking "change language bar hot keys" > selecting “between input languages” > clicking “Change key sequence” > setting both hotkeys to “unassigned” and saving. A word of caution, however: if you do remove these, and you still have multiple input methods, if you run into a scenario where explorer stops working, you will be unable to switch input methods. Probably not a concern for the casual user, but just so you're aware

In any case, hope that resolves your issues

Cheers,

-J

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 683 Applies to: