Windows 11 build 22000.51: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.11035.3002 from Windows Update broke my video

I got an update through Windows Update today for AMD Display 27.20.11035.3002 that broke my video. During the update, the screen went black and didn't come back, and each reboot booted to a black screen. I ended up rolling back to Win10 through Advanced Startup Options, installed the update in Win10 and now I'm waiting for Win11 to download and install again. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything similar. Once I'm back in Win11, I'll submit a feedback about it.

Have a good one!

P.S. At least now I know that rolling back to Win10 works. lol

Update: Upgrade to Win11 booted to black screen again. Ended up having to rollback to Win10 again. Now trying to install a different driver and hide the 27.20.11035.3002 update in WU to see if I can upgrade to Win11 again. Feedback submitted: https://aka.ms/AAd360v 

Update #2: Installing AMD Radeon Software 21.6.2 (which installs driver 27.20.22001.16006) and hiding all AMD updates in Windows Update allowed me to upgrade to Win11 again, so that's my current workaround.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is also happening to me.
First version 30.0 was installed and gave me infinite reboots, I went back to w10, reinstalled w11 and hid version 30.0. And now, 27.20 appeared and also gives me problems.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Yeah, this happened to me too, basically for anyone who comes here having a similar issue, go into device manager, select the display adapter driver and roll it back. Then after that, install the windows update hider utility to hide the update (link below). I should also note there is also an AMD driver update in Windows update which is from 2019 and a Realtek driver that corrupts your Realtek ethernet driver. Perhaps Microsoft, or whoever put those updates there, should remove them as they are either, buggy or out of date. Hope this helps.

Link for wushowhide utility: Wayback Machine (archive.org)

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Azrael,

Yes, after the update was done, my screen went black, but after about 5 seconds the screen came back on and I didn't have to roll back to Win10, this look to me looks exactly the same when you update your GPU software. The screen will flickering or go black, but then will be back to normal. I'm sorry you had to rolled back to Win10 and the wait again to reinstall Win11. I hope you dont have any future issues with patches or Win11 updates.

Best Regards,

Carlos Cervantes

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm aware that the screen will go black during graphics driver updates, sometimes multiple times. My problem was that it didn't last for just 5 seconds. It went black, stayed black, and continued to be black through multiple reboots, so unfortunately, my experience was not exactly the same as a normal graphics driver update. Also, when I rolled back to Win10, I was able to update the graphics driver through Windows Update (and yes, I got the momentary flash to black as is normal) and it worked just fine while I was in Win10, but when I upgraded to Win11 again, the screen eventually went black during installation, stayed black, and continued to be black through multiple reboots (totally not the normal graphics driver update response). Now I'm running Win11 with the newest graphics driver from the AMD website and it works just fine.

Have a good one!

~Azrael's Kiss~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem: When I install this driver my Radeon Software breaks and I need to reinstall it. If I don't do that all my games run at 20 FPS max. The most annoying thing is that as soon as I reinstall Radeon Software Windows instantly wants me to install this "new" display driver.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PortalWalker,

I have been having now similar issues with my AMD Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX 5600XT. I have noticed that if I install the latest adrenaline version the system will consistently crash while or will hung. attached to this replied is the error SS. I have reinstalled the adrenaline software utilizing auto detect and install under windows 10-64 version, in addition once you are in adrenaline do not update the software to the newest version this will make the system not to recognize Win11 and uninstall completely the software. I understand that the GPU manufactures are not obligated to have a Windows11 version of the drivers for people like us that are early adopters. I have submitted a bug report to AMD and also placed a question in the forum to find out when if anytime soon they will release compatible drivers for windows 11. I know this perhaps don't fix the issue, but this is the work around that I use to keep working under win11.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, somebody fix it ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1-ir a configuraciones

2-aplicaciones

3-aplicaciones y caracteristicas

4-desinstale los controladores

5-instalarlo nuevamente.

6-todo OK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mesmo problema aqui, instalo o drive do site da AMD, mas o windows 11 me obriga a instalar esse advanced micro devices, inc. - display, toda vez a mesma coisa, o drive da AMD funciona normalmente, mas sempre instala sozinho esse drive advanced micro devices, inc. - display e quebra o adrenaline!

Flavio

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, somebody fix it ?

Try installing the Win11 update; current 30. something
restart system

install the latest AMD Radeon driver; do not check the box for a full install.

restart system

Seems to keep the 'token' (IDKF xD ) that the install has been completed, and AMD Radeon works fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 9, 2024 Views 4,836 Applies to: