Windows 10 vs Model M (PS/2 connector) Keyboard

After the March 1 2016 update, my Model M keyboard was not recognized by Win10 at the login screen.  It did light up and worked in BIOS.  I had to plug in a spare USB keyboard and disable the USB Keyboard Drivers in device manager and reboot.  It worked but only that time.  Every subsequent reboot would default the settings to USB > PS/2.  

I fixed this by editing the registry.  It worked until the March 8 2016 update and now the same issue is back.  Before anyone suggests getting another keyboard, know that that will not be the solution for a couple of reasons:

There is nothing wrong with this keyboard.  As motherboards with PS/2 support are still in production, there is no reason as to why PS/2 Keyboards should be phased out.

I refuse to allow Microsoft to dictate which kinds of hardware I can and cannot use on this PC I custom built (or any PC I own for that matter)

My keyboard is a 21 year old IBM Model M. Enough said.

There is a PS/2 to USB adapter out there, Microsoft please PM me for my shipping address; this would be very decent gesture after attempting to render my keyboard useless.

I am now having to do the same thing as before, which i s to uninstall the USB Keyboard Device Drivers, as Win 10 seems to have a hierarchy of which keyboard types it will allow.  Only after the USB keyboard drivers are uninstalled will the PS/2 keyboard work (PS/2 driver is up to date and also appears in Device Manager)

I know someone out there must be having the same issue.  I would love to know how to override this ridiculous new "rule".

Thank you!

Hi Tricia,  

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would like to inform you that the above issue may occur due to the change in hardware components or non-updated keyboard drivers on your PC.

Windows has a built-in anti-virus software installed on your device called Windows Defender after you upgrade to Windows 10. Windows defender works just like other anti-viruses that are available in the market.

Step 1: If you are unable to login into your user account, I suggest you to use on-screen keyboard by following the steps below and check if you are able to login.

The On-screen keyboard is located in the Ease of access center located at the bottom left corner of the lock screen. It acts as a temporary keyboard in-case your keyboard does not work.

1. Click on the Ease of access icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen.

2. Select on-screen keyboard option and type the password.

3. After typing, click on the icon located next to the password entry box and check if you have typed the correct password.

4. Press Enter and check if you are able to login into the user profile.

Step 2: After logging in, update the keyboard drivers manually from Device manager and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Device Manager.

2. Expand Keyboards, right click on the keyboard driver and select Update option.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

4. After updating, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This is of course the first thing I did.  My PS/2 Driver is up to date according to Microsoft.   This did not solve my issue. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It might be possible to force the use of the PS/2 in your BIOS settings...

I would be careful with that if there is such a setting as it may disable your USB keyboard to the point it can't bail you out...

I am using a PS/2 keyboard with all of the Win 10 builds I have tried without problems...

I'm thinking that the problem may not be the keyboard drivers, but the controller that it is connected to... You might want to try updating any "Chipset" drivers...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Holy moly a useful response.   Today must be my lucky day.  Thank you.  I will try this and follow up. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It might be possible to force the use of the PS/2 in your BIOS settings...

I would be careful with that if there is such a setting as it may disable your USB keyboard to the point it can't bail you out...

I am using a PS/2 keyboard with all of the Win 10 builds I have tried without problems...

I'm thinking that the problem may not be the keyboard drivers, but the controller that it is connected to... You might want to try updating any "Chipset" drivers...

Thank you so mcuh, I disabled USB Legacy Support in Bios along with some other tweaks since I also upgraded the bios (guess I missed an update in January).   This fixed it.  I was literally crying when my Model M wouldnt work... again, thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Glad to hear you found a solution that worked...

and btw... You're welcome !!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2024 Views 6,544 Applies to: