Windows 10 Pro x86 Insider Preview 14901 will not update to next level.

Folks, this is serious, can someone please help me??

I have Windows 10 Pro 32 bit Insider Preview Build 14901 running now on a 64 bit capable computer (Intel I5 quad core) simply because I have neither the time or money to upgrade all my old programs.  Last week I found it had not been updating.  I tried to update manually.  It downloaded fine, went through the preparation process fine but stopped as soon as it began to run the update throwing error code 0x8007000e.  I researched this error code a little and found it could mean any number of things but most likely missing or corrupted files so I dropped into CMD with administrative privileges and ran sfc /scannow.  It completed and reported no problems.  I rebooted and tried the update again.  Once again error code 0x8007000e  I ran the update troubleshooter and it reported it found and fixed four problems:

Some security settings are missing or have been changed             Fixed       checked
Service registration is missing or corrupt                                         Fixed       checked
Potential Windows Update Database error detected                      Fixed        checked
Windows Update components must be repaired                            Fixed       checked

I rebooted and tried again.  Error code 0x8007000e 

Just for chuckles, I tried running the trouble shooter again and got exactly the same result.  Apparently the fix didn't take so I finally remembered that about a year ago right after I had Windows 10 up and running, I cloned my C: drive onto an extra hard drive so I dropped into elevated CMD again and ran DISM with the /restorehealth argument using my system clone F: as source.  It reported it had finished successfully.  I rebooted and tried again.  Error code 0x8007000e 

I looked at my restore possibilities but found that my oldest restore point wouldn't get me back prior to the 14901 update.

I tried resetting the system, of course losing all my programs and most of my settings in the process.  I'm not complaining about that.  I've been down this road many times before but that surely should have fix the problem, right?  Wrong! Error code 0x8007000e.

I again ran the troubleshooter and it again reported the same four problems found and fixed.

I removed all third party software, disconnected everything except the mouse and the keyboard, deleted everything in the update download folder and did a clean boot.  Tried running the update again.  Error code 0x8007000e

Again ran the update troubleshooter and it reported it had found and fixed the same four problems as before.

I have to tell ya' folks, I've been a loyal Microsoft fan since DOS 3.1 but at this point it's probably a very good thing that Redmond, WA is so far from Lancaster, OH.  Otherwise I might drive on over and have a monumental hissy fit and nervous breakdown right in your front lobby.  I might even cuss.  To top everything off my issue of the insider preview 14901 has taken to reminding every time I reboot that on the first of the month my system will turn into a pumpkin and my mouse will turn white.

If anyone there can please give me an answer on how I should proceed I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much!

Since you have already done the Reset, download the public build 14393 of Windows 10 to create a bootable USB. Boot the PC with it, choose Custom install and wipe all partitions from the hard disk.  Then install Windows 10.

Are you certain that your software will not run on 64-bit Windows 10?  If so, stick with 32-bit.

Since it sounds like you have actual use for this PC, you should install Preview Builds only to a small partition as a dual-boot option.  That way anything you actually need can be done on the public build and you can run a small partition with Insider Builds for testing Windows.

Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks so much, Don.  I'll try that first thing in the morning when my eyes refocus.  

I'm just a computer hobbyist.  Don't do anything important with my computer, I just like to play around with it.  I've always enjoyed overcoming whatever happens with the new systems as they come out.  So there isn't anything on my boot drive that I can't rebuild.  

I gave up on dual boot systems years ago after experimenting with a Windows/Red Hat combo.  Got tired of waiting for it to go through all the steps to boot the flavor of the day.  

I had tried running an iso made of build 14901 but of course that got me right back into the same problem.  I'm really grateful for your help.  It's the first time I've had to ask for help in a very long time.  Apparently my personal memory chips aren't running like they used to, but since I'm 85 years old I guess I'm asking too much of them.  

No, I'm not sure that all of my programs wouldn't run on an X64 system but was told so by my friendly neighborhood software pusher..  Said I'd have to buy all new versions of my software.....but I guess that's a little like asking your barber if you need a haircut. <Grin>

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 85 Applies to: