Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10074 error on checking for windows update (0x800705b4)

After updating windows technical preview into it's latest build which is 10074. I check for new windows update... but it is unable to check for updates... giving the error code (0x800705b4). I tried using Windows update troubleshooter giving me this result. "Service registration is missing or currupt". 
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I understand this issue is occurring when you are trying to check for updates.

I suggest you to follow the below Methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to perform the clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

Please refer to the below article on how to perform a clean boot to know “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting”

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

DISCLAIMER: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

Method 2: Try to reset the windows update components from the below link (Also it applies to windows 10).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Important:  Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Method 3: I suggest you to try stop and start the three services as below and check if it helps.

1. Click on Start, type services.msc and hit Enter.
  2. Locate Windows Update.
  3. Right click on the service and select Properties.
  4. In Start-up type, select Enable.
  5. Click Start under Service status.
  6. Click OK.

Repeat the steps 3 to 6 for the following services also:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Cryptographic Services

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 1,324 Applies to: