Windows 10 Kernel Data Inpage Error

I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks.  Previously I had Win8.1 then upgraded to Win10 and it has been running smoothly since then (I think it was July).

There doesn't seem to be a specific pattern to what I may be doing when all of a sudden I get this blue screen saying KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR.  there is no number as an error code number. The computer shuts down, restarts itself. So much fun!!! NOT

I have tried so many suggestions including the CHKDSK solution.  My computer was in read-only mode and it couldn't fix the problem, although it did find one in a file.  I've written it down, if you need that info I'll be happy to give it.

While researching this problem, there is an insinuation that all the newer updates to Win10 began causing it. Not sure about that though because I'm not an expert on these updates.  But there was another problem with the automatic updating program, they cannot be installed.  I get this notification daily, would surely like to rid myself of this problem also.

I get nervous doing some of the solutions that concern the registry.  I am hoping that someone can help me fix that corrupted file though. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi ,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. How did you upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows update or Windows 10 ISO?

I appreciate the steps you have performed. Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check. Follow the below method.

Method 1.

If a computer is infected by a virus, lots of resources will be taken up to greatly slow down computer performance. I suggest you to run virus scan (Microsoft Safety Scanner) and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

If the issue still persist, try the below method.

Method 2.

I recommend you to go to the below link and try the steps provided on the link

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

You can also visit the below link for more ifnormaiton.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559211%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with status we will be glad to help you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

#1. no issues

#2. Uninstalled updates from December 2015, not sure which it may have been.  Also uninstalled updates for programs not currently installed on my computer.  Hopefully this will help.

#2. b- that page is foreign to me and didn't use.

thanks for your assistance.  hopefully this will help.  

NOTE: Someone mentioned turning off a program that helped RAM to be more efficient in Win10.  I wasn't having a problem until recently so I don't think that was the answer for me.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us updated. If you need further assistance with Windows in future, let us know and will be happy to help.

Thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I ran the CHKDSK the message was that it was read only mode and couldn't fix problem with corrupted file.

I keep getting notifications to Scan disc for errors.  I'm not sure how to do this other than running disc frag which is automatically optimized on my computer.

I would be willing to do this if I could get some help..

My system is Win10 downloaded from Microsoft when it was made available

Acer is the manufacturer Aspire V3  731-4446 

I have the corrupted file number but really have no clue how to look for it (DOS was a long time ago for me.)  I am curious also, does this mean that my computer hardware is broken or the software needs repairs?  I'm thinking the latter since I can use the computer.

thanks for your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us with the information.

Let’s try performing start up repair using commands through Command Prompt under Advance Options and check if this helps.

Please refer to the following article to create an installation media for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Refer to the steps:

1. After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

2. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

3. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

4. Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.

5. Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

6. Click on command Prompt.

7. Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd                    

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, it's me again. Had to get through Christmas holiday before I had the time to do any of the above mentioned suggestions.

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and it began to load on the USB drive, unfortunately, during the teen-something% of downloading Windows 10 the blue screen came up and "repaired" my computer.  Now, I cannot get it to start again.  Keeps telling me something is wrong, [I scanned the USB driver and it is working properly and should be okay to go.]  But again, I get this message:

"There is a problem with starting set up. Close the tool, restart your PC and then try running the tool again"

Well, that doesn't work either.  Have tried three times, as if magically the problem will disappear.  To say this is frustrating is an understatement.  The blue screen scenario is multiplying daily.  Here are some of the reasons it gives me:

12/28-

a. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

b. MEMORY MANAGEMENT

c. I R Q L NOT LESS OR EQUAL

12/29-

a. MEMORY MANAGEMENT

b. PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGE

I hope there is a solution.  

Another thing, my DSL provider (ATT) has notified me that I've used my data limit for the month over 150 GB!  I have never done this before and my activity has not changed. The tech I spoke with said her personal PC is giving her the blue screens, also and restarting itself.  Does this have something to do with large updates from Microsoft?  This is beginning to be a real problem for me.

Thanks, Pegi

Here's an update on the download issue.  I realized that it was a one time thing so I deleted the Media Creation Tool program and downloaded it again.  This time it worked and I now have W-10 on a flash drive but really am not sure how to go forward.  Am wondering if I re-install W-10 if the problems will go away or just remain.  I have never done a re-install over an existing OS before.  Not sure what to expect.  I am just full of questions.  Thanks for your help.  I don't think I'll proceed until I hear from one of you guys. :-) 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pegi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could be caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

Have you tried to run the chkdisk command which is provided in the msdn help article posted by billion.

Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to boot into safe mode and check if you are able to boot to the Computer in safe mode. Also try to update all the drivers. Check if it helps.

Step 1First, I would suggest you to download the ISO file of Windows 10 from below Microsoft Help Article and create a media tool through which you will be able create a Windows 10 Media Installation Disk.
Then try to perform the below methods and check if it helps.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  

Boot the Computer with the Windows Installation Media:
1. Start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.
2. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so.
3. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Mode.
4. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on Troubleshoot.
5. Click on Advanced Options.
6. Then on click on Startup Settings.

7. Click on Restart and choose Safe mode with Networking or Low resolution.

8. Then try to update the drivers. 

Step 2: I would suggest you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.
1. Press Windows Key + R Key.
2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.
3. Expand Display Adapter.
4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.

Note: We need a wired Internet connection to update drivers in safe mode with networking.

If the issues still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I recommend you to perform startup repair of the Computer and check if it helps. 
1. Start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.
2. If you see a message asking you to “
Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so.
3. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on
Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Mode.
4. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on
Troubleshoot.
5. Click on
Advanced Options.
6. Then on click on Startup Repair.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

12-29 In answer to your question:  "Have you tried to run the chkdisk command which is provided in the msdn help article posted by billion." Yes that was several days ago.

Today:

Rebooted (hard booted) PC with W-10 USB.

No window or message came up to get into safe mode nor to answer any other questions.

Press any key to boot from DVD

The USB lights up and acts like it doing something, I have no idea what though.

I have hard wired DSL.

I really don't know why the instructions you gave are not working as written.  Does W-10 have a different mode of operation than previously as far as getting those messages to show up on screen so that I can make decisions as you said?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pegi,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

1. Have you created a Windows 10 Installation media as DVD or USB drive?

2. Are you see anything on the Screen?

If you created Windows 10 Installation media on USB drive, then you need to go to BIOS settings and change the boot sequence to boot from USB drive. It depends on different Computer manufacture.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I made a USB installation drive. I'm pretty sure it worked automatically.  I had no blue screens since I did this yesterday and am  so excited!  Thank you all for your help, I will def recommend this area of Microsoft to my friends.

Happy New Year and God bless you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2020 Views 36,010 Applies to: