Windows 10 Insider Preview Black Screen Of Death (no mouse cursor) after installation and reboot

Hi,

I just installed Windows Insider 10 (the latest version as of 6.30pm 7th-June-2015 Sydney time). After prompts to reboot so it can complete the installation, it fails to load anything (see attached video).

The external HD that is in the video is a recovery disk for windows 8.1 (created immediately before the download). Unfortunaltely no UI shows so I cannot get into F8 mode to try and fix the problem. All the video, graphics drivers were up to date before installation. This clip is <30 seconds but the laptop was running for nearly 24 hours before I gave it a hard reboot (press and hold power button, then recorded the video).

MY CD drive is broken and the company that I bought the laptop from refuse to take it in (it is still under warranty) so I cannot use the Windows 8 CDs to reinstall Windows :/

Thanks for your time

Matthew

Link to video (0:25 duration): https://www.dropbox.com/s/g289dzouyurd811/windowsInsiderNotBootingNovocastrian.mp4?dl=0

Update:
Got the chance to try and run the BIOS tools on startup. The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite L850 pskg6a-00r00h. The manual says that F2, F8 (and some forum replies say shift-F8) are the keys tp press for loading the BIOS menu on startup, but I follow the instructions to the word and nothing happens. I tried removing and placing the battery back in, removing the battery and running the power from the power cord, cleaned the RAM stick, checked the voltage on the CMOS battery and nothing has changed from the original problem. 

As a test I tested to see if StickyKeys would work by spamming the shift key 5+ times, which reacted as normal (the beeps). 

Also tested if the laptop had defaulted to try and output to an imaginary second output (by attaching an external monitor to it and using the keyboard commands for switching outputs) and that did not do anything.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Can you do a factory reset on the laptop?  On mine holding down the 0 with the power on puts it into repair mode and then lets me choose what I want to restore to.  It would also reinstall the Windows 10 if you wish.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edit to make a bit more sense:

No, I tried that as well as the F2 and F8/Shift+F8 commands and nothing happened. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bump bump bump

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i think i might have your mouse cursor, since i have 2 mousecursors on my triple screen amd setup.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This does not contribute to the problem at hand whatsoever. Thankyou for the waste of time that your comment provided.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Quality Microsoft Customer Service. I am so very happy that noone has even the slightest hint of a suggestion as to why my laptop has literally become a paperweight! :@

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sometimes DEL or ESC will get you into the BIOS... On some newer machines you need to be very quick...

Did your install complete before this happened... did it ever reach the desktop ?

BTW... I just checked out your video... I did not even see the Toshiba POST screen where you would hit the keys for BIOS...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sometimes DEL or ESC will get you into the BIOS... On some newer machines you need to be very quick...

Did your install complete before this happened... did it ever reach the desktop ?

BTW... I just checked out your video... I did not even see the Toshiba POST screen where you would hit the keys for BIOS...

Apologies for the belated reply, I did not receive the email notification ...

I pulled the laptop apart and turned it on to see what actually happens when I power on the laptop (and yes, I have tried removing the battery and let it run on charger power and it didn't help). The BIOS doesn't load because the motherboard no longer operates when the power button is activated The main fan in the laptop runs fro about 5-10 seconds before turning off again. 

This problem spawned from the "restart for changes to take effect" part of the download/installation. I downloaded the necessary files, it asked me to reboot the computer. I opted to reboot the computer - it did its normal shutdown procedure, but when it was meant to turn on, this error spawned instead.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since it is apart, look for a small watch type battery....

If you see one unplug the machine, remove the main battery, and remove the small battery for ten minutes or so...

Yu could also check through your manual to see if there is a RESET button or JUMPER anywhere to reset your BIOS...

The machine obviously has power in your video, but that doesn't mean the MB is functioning... although you have a blue screen, and that is coming from the onboard graphics that is part of the CPU...

So the motherboard does in fact appear to have power... The fan may be shutting off because it isn't needed...

I checked your manual online, and F2 is what enters the BIOS and 0 enters Recovery Options... If available, you might try a external keyboard...

Start tapping the F2 or 0 as soon as you power on.

Sometimes with a laptop, just unplugging it and removing the battery and letting it sit for a half hour will rectify boot problems without anything more drastic...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem with a stationary tower pc (home built).

It was confirmed to be 100% compatible according to the upgrade software.

It was running Windows 8.1 fully updated (checked that just before starting upgrade).

The upgrade did all the initial stuff and then it wanted to reboot.

I have had a TOTALLY black screen for more than 4 hours now (not even a mouse pointer).

CTRL+ALT+DEL have no effect, except my monitor wakes up from standby. It also wakes up when moving the mouse.

I have tried a reset after about 2 hours and it ran full post without issues.

It showed the Windows 10 bootscreen for about 5 seconds, and then the black screen is back.

My issues is, I was running a Windows 8.1 upgrade version already so have no media for it, and I lost the dvd with my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 long ago (probably stolen).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 1,314 Applies to: