Windows 10 Education 1607 Cortana Removal Discussion - Frustrations and Previous Support Inquiries

I created this discussion in order to inform other users about Cortana's removal in the Windows 10 Education Anniversary update and my support inquiries with Microsoft.

Let me say right off the bat that Cortana's removal in this edition of Windows was not advertised widely and if I had known about it 5 days before August 2nd, I could have wiped my system and taken advantage of the free upgrade. Why? Please see below.

I received Windows 10 Education from my college last year near the initial release date through onthehub. Back then, Windows 10 Education was also catering toward the home user college student audience. Now, Cortana has been removed from the new Anniversary update due to compliance with K-12 institutions. I am a senior in college and could care less about what elementary, middle, and high schools prefer.

On August 2nd, I spent over 2 hours on hold with Microsoft after work following my discovery of this webpage: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edu/windows/windows-editions-for-education-customers?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I figured that Microsoft could send me an equivalent Enterprise license to replace the Education one I have now. The Enterprise edition is exactly the same as the Education edition (feature-wise) except it has Cortana. It wouldn't be like I was gaining anything.

After being on hold for too long, I hung up the phone and contacted Microsoft support via the online chat and while the person I was chatting with said that this must be a "frustrating" issue, I have the wrong department. I realized that the department I had to deal with was closed for the night (I missed it by 20 minutes or so).

The next day, I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft's tech support and volume licensing service. The person I was chatting with said that Windows 10 Education "never had" (an exact quote) Cortana and even quoted the Windows 10 feature page to prove his point. I know that this claim was false, since I have Cortana now. I tried to explain that point and that the page must have been changed over the last few months. He said there's no way that could've been possible. He also said that upgrading to the 1607 build was "in the end, [my] choice." A question to the reader: would you like to stick with a soon to be unsupported build of Windows?

After several requests to speak to a supervisor, the supervisor also said that Windows 10 Education "never had" Cortana. He also said that I should speak to my college administrator to find out if my Windows supported Software Assurance. If it did, the college could upgrade me to Enterprise. I already knew that onthehub was not directly managed by my college and that they didn't offer any other version of Windows 10. A phone call to them confirmed this assumption.

Since I couldn't get a single license of Windows 10 Enterprise, the only other option available was to downgrade to Windows 10 Pro. The problem with that is I would have to pay the full price of $199.99. A question to the reader: would you feel obligated to pay full price for a Windows version that is less sophisticated than the one you already own? After negotiating with Microsoft, they would not give me a discount. They offered me a way to buy an upgrade license for Windows 10 Pro through the app store for $99.99, but unfortunately that is the only way of buying Windows for the Education edition that is blocked. See this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/deploy/windows-10-edition-upgrades

So, if anyone wants to take a crack at finding some answers about the Education Anniversary update, here's some first-hand experience. I'm pretty sure that new features only appear in build number increases, not cumulative updates, so we may be waiting a year or more before Microsoft adds Cortana back into the Education edition. Even then, it may have limited functions. So, what has anyone else found out?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Seeing that you have been an Insider for over a year and it was posted on the forum back in the first part of this year you would have had time to upgrade and as K-12 issue it was posted by MS that it would be a problem in ALL classrooms from 6 years of age to 50 years old, I'm sure MS will address the ability to use it outside of the classroom environment, and here is what I posted on your other posting  The reason posted by MS is that in any educational classroom  it would be a feature that would be very disruptive, I think in the future MS will come up with a way that feature will be usable outside of the classroom.  best bet is to post in the Feedback Hub.
I'm a unpaid independent Advisor/volunteer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I made the same mistake. I am an insider as well that does not mean I know about or read the things MS has posted. I simply was offered an upgrade from my school and thought of this as a way I could learn to program against Enterprise features to help MS develop the user base.

It is a terrible mistake and I already had a windows 10 "pro" key through the upgrade of my windows 8.1 pro pack. I can't roll back to that 10 Pro key. Not to mention 10 is very unstable in general with no way to format and reinstall myself. I may just go out and buy a retail copy just so I can try to get it stable. The download version is a joke I've tried several fixed DSIM to repair corruption on two different Hard Drives, The MS store has had my computer at least three times with no luck, even my windows phone stopped fully functioning when I upgraded to 10.

I like what windows 10 is shooting for but it is frustrating to have to be constantly fighting an unstable OS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in a similar situation. I have Windows 10 Education installed on my Home PC and I have been using Cortana effectively in a variety of ways. After update 1607 Cortana was unceremoniously removed. I want to use restore point to reverse the update but I don't have the time to invest in that avenue at the moment. That said, I do want to voice my annoyance at this situation. When more time is available for myself I no doubt will invest many hours trying to regain the functionality that I had, functionality that Microsoft removed from my computer. Thanks for that!

Update:

Under restore, I selected return to an earlier version and in less than 5 minutes 1607 was removed without any other unpleasant changes. Best of all Cortana is back.

For how long I wonder.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Visualize 35 students all asking Cortana "Where in the the world" at the same time, I agree that MS needs to make a way to activate when a user is in a one on one situation. as I think that voice activation is still a gimmick that works ok in area where a voice talking to a computer won't interfere with others. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for taking time to respond to my comment.

35 students using Cortana in a classroom would indeed be chaotic and I can understand the need to therefore do something to prevent this scenario from occurring. I am a secondary school teacher and restrictions have always been imposed to prevent individuals distracting and/or clogging the local network with unnecessary traffic. Dealing with the use of Cortana in the classroom could be a trivial issue. Preventing everyone from using Cortana via Windows 10 Education at all times is somewhat of an overkill. Interacting with the computer via ones voice is probably a gimmick but can be used as an education tool; like other education gimmicks, used in measured amounts, can serve to motivate students. I hope MS comes up with a better solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Inner circles are addressing that issue and have been for months, time will tell.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 743 Applies to: