win 10 product keys and iso d/l

does anyone know how the product keys for insiders will be sent? email to our MA? or some other? also can we use the same iso to do clean installs on each machine with its own key or do we need to d/l the iso for each machine we have the preview build on? tomorrow is the big day.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

does anyone know how the product keys for insiders will be sent? email to our MA? or some other? also can we use the same iso to do clean installs on each machine with its own key or do we need to d/l the iso for each machine we have the preview build on? tomorrow is the big day.

Gabe has told me but I had to promise not to tell the world until tomorrow.  Sorry, shat happens.

Mel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 handles keys differently.  When you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update from Windows 8.1 registers your computers hardware, and qualifying OS with a Microsoft Product Activation Server. The device is then considered a Windows 10 device.

Subsequently anytime you re-install (or clean install) the installation checks with those servers, finds the unique installation ID and produces the validation
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 handles keys differently.  When you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update from Windows 8.1 registers your computers hardware, and qualifying OS with a Microsoft Product Activation Server. The device is then considered a Windows 10 device.

Subsequently anytime you re-install (or clean install) the installation checks with those servers, finds the unique installation ID and produces the validation

unfortunately, I am an insider so upgrading through updates is Not what I asked about. I want to know about the key insiders receive for testing win 10 and the d/l of the iso to do a fresh install of the insider previews of win 10, not upgrading from 7 or 8.1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No doubt when Microsoft feels like it they will tell us and post them on line.  I would check the usual sources.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you ZigZag.  Good to know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

does anyone know how the product keys for insiders will be sent? email to our MA? 

willywonker1 said, "unfortunately, I am an insider so upgrading through updates is Not what I asked about. I want to know about the key insiders receive for testing win 10 and the d/l of the iso to do a fresh install of the insider previews of win 10, not upgrading from 7 or 8.1."

I am in the same boat (having the same issue) as willywonker1. I was a participating Windows Insider. I started with Windows 10 Preview fbl_impressive build 10130 and used the 10130 ISO to install it. Even though they had product keys for the 10130 I was never asked for it.

After a while I was later updated to 10159, 10162, 10166 then for the last two weeks or so th1 10240. My preview versions were all activated.

Today July 29th, 2015 I downloaded the final 10240 ISO and wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10 (final) that was being released to the masses today but remain an Insider.  I downloaded the ISO and burned it to dvd using the updated Media Creation Tool that Microsoft provided us.

After everything was completed and Windows 10 (final) was installed I realized it was the real version of Windows 10 (no Insider/preview build access). So I went to the Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced Settings and rejoined the "Get Insider builds" section.  It took a few times to do this because after the first reboot I was shown the "Fix Me" button and it took two more "fix-me's" and reboots before it kicked in and let me choose "Fast Ring" again.

However, the thing is my copy of Windows 10 is no longer activated and I am unable to activate it anymore and therefore I can no longer personalize my setup anymore.

I am hoping that when the next build comes down the pipe that after I update to that, that the activation will kick in automatically.  I hope this happens else I am S.O.L until Microsoft does something.

Gabe Aul said on June 19th,

"Getting the final release on July 29th

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh."

Notice this part? --> "you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh."

If we are running the Insider Preview build and are connected to our Microsoft Account we can do a clean install from the final media.

To me that implies that as an Insider running the preview builds, that after I was on build th1 10240, that on or after the 29th of July, I can use the final media to do a clean install and afterwards remain in and still be a part of the Insider Program with an Insider "Activated" copy as I had before.

Does anyone else interpret what Gabe Aul said the same way I did?

Well, I think Gabe Aul doesn't even know how this whole system actually works because it did not work out like he said nor implied.

I am supposedly back in the Insider Program set to Fast Ring but my Preview build is now deactivated and I can't do anything to customize/personalize my system now.

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

does anyone know how the product keys for insiders will be sent? email to our MA? 

willywonker1 said, "unfortunately, I am an insider so upgrading through updates is Not what I asked about. I want to know about the key insiders receive for testing win 10 and the d/l of the iso to do a fresh install of the insider previews of win 10, not upgrading from 7 or 8.1."

I am in the same boat (having the same issue) as willywonker1. I was a participating Windows Insider. I started with Windows 10 Preview fbl_impressive build 10130 and used the 10130 ISO to install it. Even though they had product keys for the 10130 I was never asked for it.

After a while I was later updated to 10159, 10162, 10166 then for the last two weeks or so th1 10240. My preview versions were all activated.

Today July 29th, 2015 I downloaded the final 10240 ISO and wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10 (final) that was being released to the masses today but remain an Insider.  I downloaded the ISO and burned it to dvd using the updated Media Creation Tool that Microsoft provided us.

After everything was completed and Windows 10 (final) was installed I realized it was the real version of Windows 10 (no Insider/preview build access). So I went to the Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced Settings and rejoined the "Get Insider builds" section.  It took a few times to do this because after the first reboot I was shown the "Fix Me" button and it took two more "fix-me's" and reboots before it kicked in and let me choose "Fast Ring" again.

However, the thing is my copy of Windows 10 is no longer activated and I am unable to activate it anymore and therefore I can no longer personalize my setup anymore.

I am hoping that when the next build comes down the pipe that after I update to that, that the activation will kick in automatically.  I hope this happens else I am S.O.L until Microsoft does something.

Gabe Aul said on June 19th,

"Getting the final release on July 29th

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh."

Notice this part? --> "you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh."

If we are running the Insider Preview build and are connected to our Microsoft Account we can do a clean install from the final media.

To me that implies that as an Insider running the preview builds, that after I was on build th1 10240, that on or after the 29th of July, I can use the final media to do a clean install and afterwards remain in and still be a part of the Insider Program with an Insider "Activated" copy as I had before.

Does anyone else interpret what Gabe Aul said the same way I did?

Well, I think Gabe Aul doesn't even know how this whole system actually works because it did not work out like he said nor implied.

I am supposedly back in the Insider Program set to Fast Ring but my Preview build is now deactivated and I can't do anything to customize/personalize my system now.

Mark

Go back and read Gabe Jun 22nd.  Everything has happened to was outlined in this release.  I have taken a lot of abuse when I simply mention his release.

Go read it, don't take my interpretation.  Here is what he said -

1   You can go from W10 Preview to W10 RTM.  That has happened.  I just did it..

2   Gabe said that in order to go Preview to RTM that you had to quit Insiders.  How is that working for you?

3   Gabe said that you could choose to do nothing on July 29th and just continue as you were on July 28th.  You would still get the July 29th download and continue to test W10.  How is that working out for you?

I don't want to sound cruel but I have taken a lot abuse as late as today for quoting Gabe Jun 22nd.  It has all happened as Gabe stated.

I am also the 1st to criticize MS as being the Poster child for doing likely the worst pre-launch of an o/s.  We have an Insider site with no MS personnel that will answer a question or squash a rumor that is just plain bunk.  A canned answer does not cut it.

Not sure what to say.  I had a fleet of W8.1 Pro's and took 2 to Insiders and followed Gabe and they are now at W10 RTM and fully swapped for my prior qualifying Product key.  These PC's are fully W10 so why would they be in Insiders.  I am a 100% W10 user and not a tester.

I have taken a W8.1 Pro outside of Insiders and it is now fully a W10.  I used the W10 ISO that I downloaded last night on both.  This saves  bandwidth since now I can just stick a USB stick into a PC and it is a full W10 in about 2 1/2 hours.  Just no fuss, no fuss.  Don't blame the message so much, blame the messenger on this one.  I have about 4 more PC's to hit today.

Have a nice day.  Perhaps I am seeking revenge for the abuse I have taken for being correct.  W10 rocks.

Mel

Mel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go back and read Gabe Jun 22nd.  Everything has happened to was outlined in this release.  I have taken a lot of abuse when I simply mention his release.

1   You can go from W10 Preview to W10 RTM.  That has happened.  I just did it..

2   Gabe said that in order to go Preview to RTM that you had to quit Insiders.  How is that working for you?

3   Gabe said that you could choose to do nothing on July 29th and just continue as you were on July 28th.  You would still get the July 29th download and continue to test W10.  How is that working out for you?

I don't want to sound cruel but I have taken a lot abuse as late as today for quoting Gabe Jun 22nd.  It has all happened as Gabe stated.

Have a nice day.  Perhaps I am seeking revenge for the abuse I have taken for being correct.  W10 rocks.

Mel

You weren't being cruel but your tone and attitude were uncalled for and you should go stand in a corner for wanting and trying to be a bully of sorts.

In your own words, "How's that working out for you?"

You apparently also do not possess reading comprehension skills.

I did exactly as Gabe Aul said.  I was an Insider.  I am signed in with my Microsoft Account. My Insider build was current to th1 10240. I downloaded the final media on the 29th of July. I used said media to do a clean install as Gabe Aul said we could.

RESULT = I went from being an activated Windows Insider to a Windows Insider with an un-activated clean install.

I read a lot of your past replies in other threads, and the reason you are criticized is because of your lousy attitude and trying to present yourself as a know-it-all, not because you quoted Gabe Aul and regurgitated all he said.

I was not updating my Windows 8.1, I was doing a clean install over my previous existing Windows Preview on a different partition as Gabe Aul said we could. Windows 10 even as of today is in the same state as it was yesterday, buggy as hell and missing a lot of necessary features.  Maybe you are happy with it, but I am not. Windows 10 is not ready for prime-time mass release. This is why I will not update my Windows 8.1 any time soon. I will continue to run test builds until I am happy with their behavior then I will update my main Windows 8.1 partition.

Even if I did update to Windows 10 over my existing Windows 8.1 I would still want a second partition with Windows 10 Insider installed so I can continue to test the newest builds.  You apparently don't wish to, but many of us former and present Insiders do.

Take your tone, your negative attiude; and "revenge" (your word, not mine) elsewhere!  You are not helpful here in these forums and should go back to Reddit where you probably hail from.

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mel

You weren't being cruel but your tone and attitude were uncalled for and you should go stand in a corner for wanting and trying to be a bully of sorts.

In your own words, "How's that working out for you?"

You apparently also do not possess reading comprehension skills.

I did exactly as Gabe Aul said.  I was an Insider.  I am signed in with my Microsoft Account. My Insider build was current to th1 10240. I downloaded the final media on the 29th of July. I used said media to do a clean install as Gabe Aul said we could.

RESULT = I went from being an activated Windows Insider to a Windows Insider with an un-activated clean install.

I read a lot of your past replies in other threads, and the reason you are criticized is because of your lousy attitude and trying to present yourself as a know-it-all, not because you quoted Gabe Aul and regurgitated all he said.

I was not updating my Windows 8.1, I was doing a clean install over my previous existing Windows Preview on a different partition as Gabe Aul said we could. Windows 10 even as of today is in the same state as it was yesterday, buggy as hell and missing a lot of necessary features.  Maybe you are happy with it, but I am not. Windows 10 is not ready for prime-time mass release. This is why I will not update my Windows 8.1 any time soon. I will continue to run test builds until I am happy with their behavior then I will update my main Windows 8.1 partition.

Even if I did update to Windows 10 over my existing Windows 8.1 I would still want a second partition with Windows 10 Insider installed so I can continue to test the newest builds.  You apparently don't wish to, but many of us former and present Insiders do.

Take your tone, your negative attiude; and "revenge" (your word, not mine) elsewhere!  You are not helpful here in these forums and should go back to Reddit where you probably hail from.

Mark

the biggest mistake being made today is trying to do a clean install of win 10 without knowing what the effect will be. I have 3 pcs with 10240, all activated, have seen a couple sites with supposedly final release win 10 isos but have also read that most were not valid. the rtms are barely getting to individual pcs, most requiring weeks of waiting before the updated versions are ready to be installed once notification is sent. Gabe may have said insiders would get the rtm first, but what about the key and/or iso to do a clean install? neither has been mentioned in regards to a time either or both would be available. my advice is to wait until Gabe or someone else puts a foot in the mouth to clarify matters to far beyond anyone's human or extraterrestrial understanding.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are no keys. Once you upgrade, your device will be registered here:

account.microsoft.com/devices

And your computer via an internet connection will authenticate automatically without using any keys.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 400 Applies to: