Update Failed - (KB4512941) Windows 10 1909

(This post was migrated from normal Microsoft forums to the preview forums via redirection from the community)

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.

2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4512941) - Error 0x800f081f

I've been with two different customer support reps that have attempted to fix this issue. The first rep was on a good track then got "disconnected" then the second rep tried to tell me that his method would not delete any of my files or applications, yet he tried to completely reinstall windows on my computer from an ISO thus attempting to delete everything off my computer.. 

Upon researching the error code 0x800f081f and 0x8024200d_(This was another error produced in the update history) I came across some interesting information.. This error code usually appears when Microsoft tries to update a new build of Windows system. The reason behind it is that some update files are missing or corrupted.

The steps that have been taken to attempt to resolve this issue are listed below.

In the command prompt as admin I tried...

#1 sfc /scannow - This produced another error message that there were corrupt or missing files but the sfc could not fix the issue.

#2 dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - completed with no issues resolved.

#3 chkdsk /scan - completed with no issues.

Application wise, I have attempted to repair the Windows Update with the Windows Update Troubleshooter.. It has identified an issue but was also unable to resolve the issue. 

I've also tried to manually install the update via the Microsoft Update Catalog, this produced the same result of a failed install. However, produced no error code in the application other than "Failed" then proceeded to the close out screen. 

My Windows Version is 1909 with OS Build 18363.327. I would like answers to this or acknowledgement that there is indeed an issue with this cumulative update. 

My computer specs are as follows..

- Make: Lenovo IdeaCentre

- Sys Type: x64 

- RAM: 24GB

- CPU: i7-4790k @4.00GHz

- HDD: 2x 1TB HDD ( C: and D: )

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 3,213 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Johnny

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Really Microsoft? Come on, this is the 3rd consecutive preview build you have broken..

This is becoming a nuisance on my intention span and pettiness regarding updates to my computer.

I want answers to this or acknowledgement that there is indeed an issue with this cumulative update. 

When BETA testing, failures and even loss of data are to be expected.

Did you read the agreement?

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/program-agreement/

Program Participation. You are volunteering to participate in the Program with the knowledge that the purpose of this Program is to make experimental, preview, beta or other early pre-release software (“Software”) available to you, including related documentation, materials, and information such as Program webpages, emails, forums, content, feedback and other services (“Program Services”), for the purpose of providing Microsoft with useful information about your experience with the Software and Program Services.

• You understand that using experimental and early pre-release software means you may experience occasional crashes and data loss. By participating, you agree to frequently backup your data.

• Your Program participation is voluntary and free, there is no compensation for your participation. Your participation does not create a legal partnership, agency, or employment relationship between you and Microsoft.

• Your Program participation does not obligate Microsoft to provide you with Software or Program Services.

Sorry this didn't help.

Really Microsoft? Come on, this is the 3rd consecutive preview build you have broken..

This is becoming a nuisance on my intention span and pettiness regarding updates to my computer.

I want answers to this or acknowledgement that there is indeed an issue with this cumulative update. 

When BETA testing, failures and even loss of data are to be expected.

Did you read the agreement?

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/program-agreement/

Program Participation. You are volunteering to participate in the Program with the knowledge that the purpose of this Program is to make experimental, preview, beta or other early pre-release software (“Software”) available to you, including related documentation, materials, and information such as Program webpages, emails, forums, content, feedback and other services (“Program Services”), for the purpose of providing Microsoft with useful information about your experience with the Software and Program Services.

• You understand that using experimental and early pre-release software means you may experience occasional crashes and data loss. By participating, you agree to frequently backup your data.

• Your Program participation is voluntary and free, there is no compensation for your participation. Your participation does not create a legal partnership, agency, or employment relationship between you and Microsoft.

• Your Program participation does not obligate Microsoft to provide you with Software or Program Services.

Very much aware, but when it happens in the 3rd consecutive time in a row, you would have thought it would be something they would have avoided in the future. They SHOULD NEVER release preview updates with the intention of knowing they will intently cause corruption or data loss. If it is a result of personal applications conflict, then that is an issue. 

Microsoft is NOT screening updates anymore before they put them into the program for testing, their customer service has admitted this and themselves are upset about it. It's gotten to a point now its become annoying. I signed on to the program expecting bugs and features to not work. However, I did not sign on to have consecutive updates nearly brick my computer from their own negligence on screening their updates properly before releasing them into the program.

I cannot properly function in the preview program if the updates do not work. FORTUNATELY in this case, I am not suffering from data loss or crashing. Just Microsofts mistake of either not putting all the files in the cumulative update or creating a string that caused corruption. 

~Celty

Nvidia, HP and Lenovo are my specialty. I also specialize in OS Health and Memory Management.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you, the update process has become very faulty lately but still BETA and we have to deal with it according to the agreement.

Apparently you're using your daily PC to test RP ring and even though it's the safest, it is the last line of defense before public release so if anything is wrong, better to happen now rather than later.

I'd suggest you test using an extra drive, dual booting or virtual machines. Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you, the update process has become very faulty lately but still BETA and we have to deal with it according to the agreement.

Apparently you're using your daily PC to test RP ring and even though it's the safest, it is the last line of defense before public release so if anything is wrong, better to happen now rather than later.

I'd suggest you test using an extra drive, dual booting or virtual machines. Cheers!

Aye, completely agree. Unfortunately I just broke down my second tower that I used for software testing (Yea dumb me lel) but my buddy needed a slave drive for his tower for his game development. Oh well I suppose. But I get what you are saying. I am not taking the huge updates, I am keeping them minimal and small on my device. To prevent "catastrophic" damage from the faulty updates.

~Celty

Nvidia, HP and Lenovo are my specialty. I also specialize in OS Health and Memory Management.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still looking for answers regarding this issue on the 1909 build. (Bump)
~Celty

Sorry this didn't help.

The answers are at Johnny_55's thread on the first reply of this thread.

That as much as we know here, we are volunteers regular Windows users just like you without any official affiliation to MSFT

Sorry this didn't help.

That as much as we know here, we are volunteers regular Windows users just like you without any official affiliation to MSFT

This I already know, but I was more so hoping to be looking for a reply from the MS Engineers about it so we can at least remedy the issue. Also, the apparent remedy that people are proposing would wipe everyone's data in rollback, I wont be doing that.

~Celty

Sorry this didn't help.

This I already know, but I was more so hoping to be looking for a reply from the MS Engineers about it so we can at least remedy the issue. Also, the apparent remedy that people are proposing would wipe everyone's data in rollback, I wont be doing that.

MS engineers don't answer questions here directly but some MS employees show up here randomly so you might get lucky.

Once again, this is BETA testing, you have to be prepared and willing to deal with such events, mainly to have up to date backups available at all times. Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Posting In. 

The update is still broken, so took a last resort and slowed down the updates for the inside. Changing the Insider Program Update Delivery settings removed the Cumulative update above and installed a different patch and update thus apparently eliminating the issue. This has seemed to work for me now and everything seems to be OKAY SO FAR. I did this 4-5 days ago and have been monitoring the state of the updates.

~Celty

Sorry this didn't help.