[SOLVED] Update from 18362.53 to 18875.1000 Fix

Reported earlier in another thread about 3 failed attempts on upgrading from 18362 to 18875. Build 18875 did clean install and upgraded from 17763 successfully.

Use an ISO of 18875, you can either make your own or use UUP dump. The necessary files should be in the SoftwareDistribution folder.

-clear out the SoftwareDistribution folder

-use msconfig and disable Windows Search in Services tab, Windows Update and Windows Update Medic Service, reboot and double check this service is stopped

Mount the ISO image and well you should know the rest. or use WU

Would appreciate anyone else trying this to confirm it works for them. I did this all offline from 18362.53 but it shouldn't make any difference.

Edit: Special thanks to Slayerking for narrowing down this Fix further

Discussion Info

Last updated December 1, 2019 Views 2,587 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks Johnny,

After many attempts, disabling Windows Search and deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder I was able to install 18875 from (Fast) 18362.53 using Windows Update, it did bounce a bit installing, going from 84% back down to 74%  before completing but I can live with that.

I re-enabled Windows Search after the update.

This was done on a Surface Pro 4.

Thanks Johnny,

After many attempts, disabling Windows Search and deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder I was able to install 18875 from (Fast) 18362.53 using Windows Update, it did bounce a bit installing, going from 84% back down to 74%  before completing but I can live with that.

I re-enabled Windows Search after the update.

This was done on a Surface Pro 4.

Now I try this solution and then tell you if it worked or not

UPDATE : I confirm that with this solution the 18875 can be installed without problems and in less time

Hi Johnny

No Problem, I had actually done it earlier in the morning here (Aus) and was just looking around if anyone had posted it yet and you had it the closest so I jumped in with what I had found so all good. Glad we found what the problem was and hopefully it helped others here.

Just to add to this, I just did the upgrade after multiple fails from .53 with just disabling Microsoft Search in msconfig. No need for the rest and it upgraded just fine through windows update.

Same here, though I did need to delete the contents of the Software Distribution/Download folder first as it failed on the first retry

Thanks for the car Suat, nice wheels, looking forward to taking that one for a spin  :-)
Johnny

not sure what is happening to my posts, but 2 of mine have disappeared.

Anyway, managed to update my second install using your method. The first install (on the same PC) updated without any problems, but the second failed, using the ISO created from the first.

Resorted to you method and installed ok, again using the ISO

The only problem, the system wants to update to the same build again. Had to resort to hiding it, which shouldn't have to be necessary.   

not sure what is happening to my posts, but 2 of mine have disappeared.

Anyway, managed to update my second install using your method. The first install (on the same PC) updated without any problems, but the second failed, using the ISO created from the first.

Resorted to you method and installed ok, again using the ISO

The only problem, the system wants to update to the same build again. Had to resort to hiding it, which shouldn't have to be necessary.   

Forum acting up again possibly. Unusual it wanting to update to same build, had that happen once long time ago, I let it proceed but once it did it's checking, it realized it was updated and then it went away. Is their not a windows update reset tool available, you did clear out the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Almost sounds like you may have left the system running too long before using the ISO and WU had already started to upgrade.

Johnny

I have noticed this with many installs. After clean-installing via ISO, Windows Update will see and begin to process the same build that you just installed. However, it simply goes through the motions very quickly and is soon done, with no restarts at all. So there is no need to hide the update. I consider it a checkover and certification of my ISO clean-install, but I do not think that it modifies anything.

I have not seen this after an upgrade via ISO, but I rarely do an upgrade that way.

Don

I just disabled Windows Search and deleted Software Distribution Downloads folder and in an hour had 18875 up.  I used Windows Update.

Windows Search was back and running with Automatic (Delayed start) with out me doing anything.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Confirmed. I just finished the update after it fails multiple times. The installation work after disabling Windows search and  cleaning Software Distribution, I was able to upgrade in 18875 by via windows update. it did bounce a little bit from 64% to back down 52% before complete, but its a clean install and looking good for me.

Windows search enabled automatically. I didn`t enable it personally.

It all happened in Hp pavilion 15 notebook PC.

Thank you Johnny and MS team for this humble heard work.