Observations About Builds 18936 & 18941 Update Failures

My 2 attempts at updating 18932 to 18936, one with WS enable and the other with WS disable, WU reset and clean boot failed. A 3rd attempt at updating from ISO failed and a 4th attempt at a clean install from within 18932 also failed.

I decided to restore an image of 18922 and try one more time but unfortunately it was corrupted so I had to download a new ISO from UUP dump. After a clean installation, the update from 18922 was a success which suggests that...

18936 has a bug updating from 18932 but not from a previous build (not applicable if done in VM)

7/20 UPDATE: based on new findings, the failures must be the result of changes made to build 18936 which carried over to 18941 causing the SATA ACHI driver to fail initialization during BOOT operation (not applicable if done in VM)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 24, 2019 Views 1,267 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had no problems on 4 laptops and I just used WU going from 18932 to 18936.

I think that you may have something that is causing the problem.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

I think that you may have something that is causing the problem.

I don't have anything causing any problem.

The problem is a bug affecting some users updating 18932 to 18936, that's all.

But what is the bug?  There seem to be some of us that are not having a problem.  Is it an app, program, hardware or something else.  Maybe a combination of things.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

That's known bug announced in insider blog:

Known Issues

• A limited number Insiders attempting to install Build 18936 may experience install failures with error code c1900101 due to a compatibility bug with a storage driver on their device. The device will attempt to install, fail, and successfully roll back to the currently installed build on the device. Attempted re-tries to install the build, either manual or automatic, will not bypass this issue. A fix is forthcoming, but there are no known workarounds currently.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/07/10/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18936/#837kDZsCKkPWAbeb.97

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Yes the bug exists but they overlooked the fact that it ONLY exists if updating from 18932. Some weird interaction between the 2 builds is causing it, otherwise I would've seen it updating from 18922 as well.

My reply was for lacrumb who asked about this bug.

When I try to update my laptop from build 18932 I had many bounce back to GTR and finally it ended up for roll back.

I find old disk image and now I am running this update over 18875 and no bounce back and it's almost ready to restart. I'll be back and inform who this work this time.

Thanks!

I'm in the process of updating 18362.10000 after switching it to FAST, stay tuned...

My reply was for lacrumb who asked about this bug.

Sorry Pauli, I meant to reply to lacrumb but replied to you instead.

When update from 18932 to 18936 on my laptop failed with that announced 0xC1900101 error I restore old dual boot image of 18362 / 18875 to that same laptop and now update from 18875 to 18936 went through without any issues.

It's good to have some image from past is later builds cause issues like 18932 did now.

No luck with 18362.10000, both WU and ISO updates failed.

I know Johnny was able to update 18362.239 so I'm not sure what's going on anymore...

Hard to understand why on the same PC certain builds can be updated while others cannot.