"Object Name not found." Code 39, cannot connect to internet on Windows 10.

Original Title: 14332 and 14328 - No network on Surface Book

I've tried to install the last two fast ring builds (going from the last general release) and both have left me with no network connectivity. All the network adapters are disabled, with the error "Object Name not found." See the attached.

Has anyone else experienced this? Were you able to get around it, or did you have to roll back the install? I have had to do that latter, and of course I can't submit feedback about it from that build, since I have no network.

Hi Brian,

Looks like some serious registry corruption to me. A Clean Install, should get rid of that, but means, when done properly, a fair bit of work. Also, it's a fairly new model, so there might be teething issues. I would wait a bit to see if better answers are available. I doubt very much that a Rollback or Repair would be of any good to you.

What you might try is uninstalling the drivers (right-click), ticking 'Remove software/driver' as you do so. A 'Scan for new hardware' would bring them back, possibly in working order. Try it with one first and see what happens.

Regards,

Stephen

Founder of the STI Project

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community.

Before performing clean install, I suggest you to update the drivers as yellow exclamation mark are shown over the driver icon in the Device manager and check if the issue is resolved

Yellow exclamation mark is displayed over a device driver under Device manager if the device driver is faulty, corrupted or not working properly. Updating the drivers which shows yellow exclamation over the device driver will help in resolving the issue.

Follow the steps below update the faulty, corrupted or incompatible device driver located in the Device manager.

1. Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and select Device Manager from the context menu.

2. Expand Network adapter, right click on the driver with yellow exclamation mark over the icon and select Update this software from the context menu.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.

4. After the update is complete, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Stephen,

Using the option to return to previous build (or whatever it is called) from the Recovery menu works. That's the only thing I've been able to do, however.

Update 10586 -> 14328 (last week). No network. Return to previous build. Network is back.

Update 10586 -> 14332 (last night). No network. Return to previous build. Network is back.

I did try uninstalling the hardware and rebooting before going to back to the previous build, but that didn't work.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for quickly updating the status of the issue.

Please reply, did you try updating the network adapter drivers as suggested in the above post?

Ig haven’t tried, update the network adapter drivers by following the steps from the above post and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, download the device driver from the manufacturer’s website using another PC and install the same on your PC and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, Rolling back or Repairing won't help you. You need to do a real Clean Install:

1) Start with some bootable Installation Media. (1511 (release) or 14295 (slow ring)

2) Change your BIOS to prefer starting from USB (DVD? don't know the 'Book')

3) After booting from the media, choose Custom Install and Format the partition you want to install to

I hope I don't have to tell you that you need to be careful with this, but then I just did |--)

If you don't have such media and don't know how to get it, please post and I'll be glad to help.

Regards,

Stephen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you saying that, even though I am able to return to 10586 without issue and continue to use it, to update any further, I will have to do a clean install? If so...that may be a while. 10586 is working (mostly) fine, and reinstalling everything else on this computer after a clean install is going to be a major PITA. So, if that's the case, I may wait until the RTM version and beyond.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian,

Yes, I am afraid that is exactly what I was saying. But now I say something else: Stop Insider Builds on your Surface Book. You clearly use it as a work machine and it is therefore not suited to be on any Insider build.

Fast Ring Insiders should expect to do a Clean Install every other month or so. Slow Ring Insiders are more expected to be able to do without, but even then. I've had to help Insiders to often to do just that to get out of trouble.

It is tremendous fun to be an Insider, provided the subject interests you, so do give it a go should you have any old laptop/PC lying around. But not on a working machine. Besides all you see now will be released only a couple of months from now ("Anniversary Release").

Thank you for reminding of PITA, that had slipped my mind and yet is so apt describing things like a CI.

Regards,

Stephen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok since this thread is fairly new am hoping that someone will still look in here. I am not computer savvy and have gotten to my current current computer IQ by reading forums like these and alot of trial and error.

I bought a used computer at a little computer shop by my grocery store because my 2 desktops are in my storage. I am using a neighbor's Wi-Fi as my only way to get online so I also bought at Wal-Mart the only network adapter they carried a Belkin 300 High Performance adapter.

I got online for a few minutes and got my "ERROR CODE 39" after I tried to employ a VPN, I was online with the VPN for say 20 minutes and my Wi_Fi cut out. I then tried to no avail, hitting every button in their VPN console to get my VPN up and working again and then decided, after having no luck, that I was in over my head at this point and wanted to return to a normal Wi-Fi setup. I get a yellow icon only on my Belkin adapter and says driver not loaded or may be corrupt, I have uninstalled it, re-installed tried to update driver and so forth and it even says that Windows has determined this is the correct driver but the yellow flag remains on the Belkin in device manager.

Now this computer has Windows 10 Pro build 10586, but it is not activated, I get error code: 0x8007267C and at the time after seeing this I thought I would deal with activation issue the next day, just wanted to get online at the time.

There is no Wi-Fi selection and it does not see any networks.

Looking at system info and going to Network Adapter there are no IP addresses. I can't get online with that computer to give you more info but was hoping that maybe with working with the person who had this problem earlier and maybe with my recall of what occurred that you just might have a suggestion other then TNT.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 6,814 Applies to: