Keyboard keeps disconnecting when connected to a USB hub. How to I make that stop?

I have a fresh install of Windows 10. Build 20262.fe release 201113-1436. (I have registered for windows insider.)

My previous keyboard used to keep disconnecting from the Surface Dock, and another powered hub that I bought. But when I connect the keyboard directly to the USB port on the Surface, it works.

I thought this to be the problem of the keyboard. Then recently I bough A Steelseries keyboard. This has the same issue as well.

I went into device management and turned off the option that says to allow the computer to turn the device off to save power. And I also went into the settings of the keyboard from Printers and Devices in Control Panel and turned of the same option.

The keyboard still keeps disconnecting, and it is EXTREMELY annoying. I do not want to keep using it with the Surface USB port. That almost makes the dock useless.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Paras.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Johnny

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Paras,

Insider 20270 is out so also update to it.

Windows 10 and 11 Insider Page - https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I already did this, it didn't work. I removed it an reinstalled it. Still didn't work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paras,

Insider 20270 is out so also update to it.

This didn't work either =(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I already did this, it didn't work. I removed it an reinstalled it. Still didn't work.

Perhaps the Dock is faulty. Suggest returning it to the vendor. If both your keyboards work properly when connected directly, there obviously is no fault with them.

Bottom line, do you get the same issue if running a Release version as I do not believe this is an Insider issue, rather a hardware problem. I would create a small partition and install Release to it for a temporary dual boot to confirm. Do you have another device you can connect the dock to and see if you get the same issue.

Regards,

Johnny

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't suppose that the dock is faulty, because I have a powered USB hub from Anker that exhibits the same behaviour. All other devices work fine. My mouse, audio interface, display, HOTAS, a fan, etc. It's only these two keyboards, and on both these different docks, they behave the same. And it didn't always happen. It started suddenly, leading me to believe it was the keyboard that was the problem.

Are there any other problems that you may be aware of that can lead to such behaviour?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, didn't realize you are getting same behavior from 2 different hubs. Kind of using the process of elimination here. Understand your frustration. You already tried different keyboards with same result.

Now it comes down to is this a possible Insider issue. Can you try these docks on any other devices, a friends maybe to see if it is consistent. As you mentioned it happened suddenly, do you recall what build of Insider this started on? Does this occur with a Release version as well? That is why I would like to determine if it is in fact an Insider issue.

Suggest you file a Feedback Hub report and share the link in this thread so that Eddie (MSFT) is aware of this. You might want to record the issue occurring in the report for the engineers.

Regards,

Edit: Does this exhibit the same keyboard behavior if you disconnect all the other devices from the dock? Perhaps it is overloading the power output of the dock. You do have a few items that would be drawing lot of power attached. 

Johnny

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had similar experience with docks.  I've ended up unplugging something from one of the USB ports on the PC, plugging it into the dock, then plugging the keyboard into the USB port on the PC.  I know you said you didn't want to do that, but it appears you've got to weigh that against living with the disconnects and deciding which is best for you.  FWIW if you have external hard drives, they HAVE to be plugged into the PC and not a dock.

Of course you could always try getting a wireless keyboard, but the only one of those that I have, the USB adapter is plugged into the PC's USB2 port.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, didn't realize you are getting same behavior from 2 different hubs. Kind of using the process of elimination here. Understand your frustration. You already tried different keyboards with same result.

Now it comes down to is this a possible Insider issue. Can you try these docks on any other devices, a friends maybe to see if it is consistent. As you mentioned it happened suddenly, do you recall what build of Insider this started on? Does this occur with a Release version as well? That is why I would like to determine if it is in fact an Insider issue.

Suggest you file a Feedback Hub report and share the link in this thread so that Eddie (MSFT) is aware of this. You might want to record the issue occurring in the report for the engineers.

Regards,

Edit: Does this exhibit the same keyboard behavior if you disconnect all the other devices from the dock? Perhaps it is overloading the power output of the dock. You do have a few items that would be drawing lot of power attached. 

Here's what I have found. When the keyboard is connected through the Anker hub to another computer, then it doesn't glitch out.
When the hub is connected to my PC, be it through the port on the Surface itself or the Surface Dock, then keyboard disconnects.
When the keyboard disconnects, windows doesn't make any sound, like it does for all other devices when connected/disconnected.
I unfortunately don't know anyone with any kind of surface device, so it is impossible to test out the Dock.

I have made a feedback entry on Feedback Hub

All these rules out the following:
1. The keyboards being faulty

2. The Anker hub being faulty
3. Power being the issue
4. Drivers (I uninstalled and reinstalled them)

I can safely assume that the hub isn't the issue.

Windows may be the issue, because when I reinstalled Windows, I was still enrolled into the insider program.

It seems as though my Surface is allergic to keyboards, by only when connected to hubs.

Any ideas that come to mind with this data?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had similar experience with docks.  I've ended up unplugging something from one of the USB ports on the PC, plugging it into the dock, then plugging the keyboard into the USB port on the PC.  I know you said you didn't want to do that, but it appears you've got to weigh that against living with the disconnects and deciding which is best for you.  FWIW if you have external hard drives, they HAVE to be plugged into the PC and not a dock.

Of course you could always try getting a wireless keyboard, but the only one of those that I have, the USB adapter is plugged into the PC's USB2 port.

Hahaha, currently I have no other option but to keep it connected directly to the Surface. It would always be nice, however, to have things work out in a specific way. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2024 Views 4,612 Applies to: