Install issue with Insider Preview Build 18334.

I am trying to install build 18334.  It downloads, get to "getting things ready - 70% and stalls.  After a long time it may inch up a percent or two, but has never gotten past 81%.  

I have run the update troubleshooter and it never finds a problem.  

I have deleted the datastore folder and the software download folder.  

Nothing helps.  I also contacted support via the link on the settings/windows update page.  The support guy took control of my pc, ran a pretty complex batch file and rebooted.  Same result.

I had the same problem with the previous build, I waited  to ask for help since I had hoped a new build would fix the problem.  It didn't. 

I am running the preview build in a VMWare Virtual Machine - never had a problem before with any build in the 19H1 series. 

Any ideas of what else I can do? 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2019 Views 3,621 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Here are a few common troubleshooting steps to fix Windows Update issues:

• Run Windows Update troubleshooter or wu10.diagcab
  • Make sure date & time are correct
  • Uninstall any 3rd party antivirus program
  • Unplug any external USB devices
  • Pause updates and download this ResetWUEng.zip

Extract the files and run ResetWUEng.cmd with admin rights. Then run items 2, 3, 9 (restart if errors found and continue afterwards), 6, 10, 11, 12, 13 in that order. When done make sure your Insider Ring and settings are correct and resume updates.

• Set Feedback & Diagnostics to FULL
  • Verify MS account
  • Disconnect from the internet once the download is complete
  • Delete the WindowsSelfHost key in the registry. You will have to adjust Insider Settings after restart. EXPORT the registry prior just in case

Location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost

If all that fails, you could try a manual update using an ISO image:

Go to UUP dump website, search for and select a build (must be the same or newer), language and version, then click "Download using aria2 and convert", DO NOT select "convert and create virtual editions".

You will be downloading a file similar to this: 18xxx.1000_amd64_en-us_f48384f3_convert.zip

Once extracted, run aria2.download.windows.cmd and give it permission to start the actual download.

If for some reason the download gets interrupted or shows errors, do a Ctrl+C to terminate and run the command again, it will verify existing checksums and download any missing files.

Do not interrupt the ISO making process until instructed to exit from the blue screen.

When the process is finished, the ISO image can be found at the same folder as aria2.

• To update: mount the ISO via Explorer, run setup.exe and chose to keep apps and files when prompted during installation.
  • To clean install: run setup.exe within the "Sources" folder of the mounted ISO. You lose apps and you have to link your account and adjust Insider options after restart. Personal files are kept at Windows.old folder

Very important! make a backup of your important files or preferably, a full system backup image before you do anything else. Let us know if you need more assistance. Good luck!

Disclamer: ISOs made from files downloaded from UUP dump are not official. However, those files are fetched directly from Microsoft's servers (same files we receive via WU during an update). The script provided by UUP dump to convert those files into an ISO uses Microsoft's own DISM tool and is hosted on a web service called GitHub which is also owned by Microsoft.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Since you are using a VM, there is likely no data on it to worry about. A clean install of Windows on the VM should be much faster than an upgrade, so if you want to try the UUP dump ISO, it should be fast and easy to do a clean install.

If you don't like using that approach, download the latest official Insider ISO and clean-install that. Then upgrade to 18334.

With a VM, you can usually take a snapshot of the current state. That way you can easily revert right back to where you are now, if anything goes wrong. Not sure how this works in VMWare, but I do this often in Hyper-V.

Don

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.