Insider Build 18945 and mfehidk.sys error (green screen)

-

After updating to Insider Build 18945 - I am getting a green screen with the note: mfehidk.sys error.  I can’t find much of anything recent about this error on the net...

I was thinking about uninstalling anything McAfee related, but am not sure if this would help.  Hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Yes, an online search points to McAfee. Totally uninstall anything relevant to McAfee. We cannot expect antivirus vendors to anticipate changes to preview versions of Windows and adapt. I do not run anything other than Windows Security.
Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I wouldn't uninstall McAfee unless you want to get infected by viruses, malware, etc. I have the same issue. For now I booted to safe mode command prompt. I rename the mfehidk.sys file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys) to mfehidk.sy. After rebooting McAfee real time scanner was turned off. I turned it back on and the system is running fine.

I don't like this solution because if my system reboots when I am not here is will not be protected when I come back and I will have to remember to check to see if real time scanning is running or not. It isn't a question of whether or not McAfee has to keep up with Microsoft's changes or not, it's a question of Microsoft fully testing Windows before release. Microsoft will tell you that their antivirus software isn't full protection so they shouldn't expect user to run without full protection even to test beta or alpha software. Now I simply need to find to real fix for the issue. It's up to you, I just don't ever run my system without McAfee running. As a customer service rep. for computer companies it has saved me far to often when customers sent my disks, file or even their system to work on.  I am not even completely comfortable running my system missing even this one file. Hopefully I or someone else will come up with a real and final answer for this problem.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wouldn't uninstall McAfee unless you want to get infected by viruses, malware, etc. I have the same issue. For now I booted to safe mode command prompt. I rename the mfehidk.sys file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys) to mfehidk.sy. After rebooting McAfee real time scanner was turned off. I turned it back on and the system is running fine.

I don't like this solution because if my system reboots when I am not here is will not be protected when I come back and I will have to remember to check to see if real time scanning is running or not. It isn't a question of whether or not McAfee has to keep up with Microsoft's changes or not, it's a question of Microsoft fully testing Windows before release. Microsoft will tell you that their antivirus software isn't full protection so they shouldn't expect user to run without full protection even to test beta or alpha software. Now I simply need to find to real fix for the issue. It's up to you, I just don't ever run my system without McAfee running. As a customer service rep. for computer companies it has saved me far to often when customers sent my disks, file or even their system to work on.  I am not even completely comfortable running my system missing even this one file. Hopefully I or someone else will come up with a real and final answer for this problem.

It is not Microsoft's job to test with 3rd party AV's.

It's McAfee's job to keep up with MS's Insider builds

which they don't.

Every computer I've ever bought the 1st thing that comes 

off it is McAfee.

The only 3rd party AV I've found that really works best

with Insider builds is Malwarebytes.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't like this solution because if my system reboots when I am not here is will not be protected when I come back and I will have to remember to check to see if real time scanning is running or not.

I don't know where you get this idea from, but you are wrong. When your system reboots it will be protected by Windows Defender, which contrary to what might have been in the past, is now one of the most effective AVs around.

If my post answers your question or is helpful, please mark it as so. Thank you.
John the Pilot

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

-

After updating to Insider Build 18945 - I am getting a green screen with the note: mfehidk.sys error.  I can’t find much of anything recent about this error on the net...

I was thinking about uninstalling anything McAfee related, but am not sure if this would help.  Hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

show suggestions

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It's not the best and clenaing solution, but it works properly for my Windows 10 Insider versión (BUILD 18999.vb_Release.191004-1432).

Thanks a lot

@Juanluelguerre

JUANLU

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There were many years when Microsoft's Antivirus and antimalware were insufficient to protect a computer running Windows. However, this is no longer the case, as Windows Security is now highly rated and in many cases better than others.

I feel that it is fine to run non-Microsoft antivirus when you are not running Insider builds, but that you cannot expect them to run without issues, while Microsoft is in the midst of changing the OS that they are meant to protect, in ways that they have no way to anticipate.

If you need or want to test other antivirus products towards the end of a build cycle, when the OS is almost ready for RTM, that makes sense, as I am sure that the antivirus vendors are also watching closely and testing throughout.

I have had no problems running Windows Security only for many years, but I am also more aware than some of potentially unsafe activities that might expose my computers to harm. On occasion, if I suspect something might have compromised my computer, I will run other things, briefly, to scan and check for issues that might have been missed. Usually the only other one I try is MalwareBytes.

However, the history of the Windows Insider Program shows that using other antivirus/antimalware products on Insider builds (especially during a build upgrade) is a common source of problems reported here in these Forums. That is unlikely to change.

Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

According to McAfee, run McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool and reinstall. I haven't tried it yet, I just finished chatting with tech support. I will try to let you know if this works. If someone beats me to trying it please let the rest of use know if it works.  

Note: I also found this link to from HP Support https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03961272 that suggest simply disabling McAfee and installing the latest version to fix the problem. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2023 Views 2,711 Applies to: