How to fix ICS not working after reboot?

I have PC with one Ethernet controller connected to ISP and another one to home network.  After every reboot Internet Connection Sharing stops sharing connection. I have to go to ISP Connection properties disable sharing, OK, enable sharing, OK, then fix reassigned IP address on home network controller. It started some patches ago, may be half an year ago. My current release is 15031 but the error still persists. I reported it every new patch using feedback but i have no idea if anyone even reads it as not a single bug has been fixed so far (and i am insider since beta).

I've tried so far "sfc /scannow" but no errors found.

I know i can write some powershell script and autorun it to fix things up but is it really the only and way to go?

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2019 Views 4,238 Applies to:

Hello Maxim,

With regard to your concern, we suggest that you check on this link and follow the instruction to help you resolve Internet Connection Sharing concern. If the issue still persists, you can contact the Internet service provider for advance assistance.

We'll be waiting for your update.

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Retired KB Content Disclaimer

This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.

I have no idea why the background so gray. 

The article is about Windows 98 Second Edition - you serious?

I've searched thru Technet and found no answer as well.

The issue is that ICS works until reboot - and then stops until re-enabling - doesn't look like it doesn't work at all. It seems like the problem is in route tables as they differ before and after re-enabling ICS - and i have no idea why they should.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try to run the Network troubleshooter. Type Network troubleshooter in the search box and then select Identify and repair network problems. Make sure to check that Wi-Fi is turned on for your device (including any physical Wi-Fi switch), and that airplane mode isn’t turned on when you are using wireless (Wi-Fi) connection. Ans also check that the cable is securely plugged into your PC and your router or modem when you are using a wired connection.

Updated network adapter driver will also help resolve the issue.

An outdated or incompatible network adapter driver can cause connection problems. Here's how to check for an updated driver:
  1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
  3. Right-click the network adapter, and then select Update Driver Software > Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow any steps if new driver software is found, then select Close.
  4. After installing the updated driver, select the Start button > Power > Restart if asked to restart, and then try connecting to the Internet.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Troubleshooter has not detected any problems, drivers are newest and the issue is still there.

New build is coming though, i'll let you know after OS is updated.

Sorry this didn't help.

in 15042 the issue is still there,

i ran Network Troubleshooter before and after re-enabling ICS and re-setting IP-address, saved detailed network configurations and compared them - they are identical.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try to check on this link and follow the steps to help you resolve network connection concern. If the issue still persists, we suggest that you send a feedback using Windows Feedback Hub so we can take note of this feature for future updates.

Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. I recently upgraded PC, made clean Windows 10 re-install and unfortunately the issue is still there despite having new equipment (And it cost me Insider license, well done.) I reported feature for like 3 times using feedback hub since the patch it started to happen. Can't see anything was done about it. After update I got like 14K build and Windows eventually get updates at slow pace despite I am having "fast" builds setting, so currently I am at 15048 rs. When it at last gets updated to latest build and if the issue is still there i'll report it with Feedback Hub once again.

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems I found the root of the issue. Upon restart the Service "Internet Connection Sharing" is not in "started" state despite having "Automatic (Trigger type)" startup type. Simply starting it causes ICS working well. What might be the problem ICS service doesn't get started?

Also I found some guy started similar topic for newest build:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/ics-internet-connection-sharing-dosent-work-in/a203c90f-1214-4e5e-ae90-9832ae5ceb55

May be it's a time to get some work done?

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.