How do I organize my apps icon in the Windows 11 Start menu ?

The W10 Apps tiles disappear from the new start menu W11. Why not, but I do not see any alternative to organise my bunch of shortcut icons per family ( e.g Music, Devtools...). Once an app is pinned in the start menu it cannot be sorted/filtered by a user's family ?

The W10 Apps tiles disappear from the new start menu W11. Why not, but I do not see any alternative to organise my bunch of shortcut icons per family ( e.g Music, Devtools...). Once an app is pinned in the start menu it cannot be sorted/filtered by a user's family ?

Hello,

Only thing we can do is rearrange them. No grouping available. Same with removing all the dead icons MS places on default. Have to unpin them one by one. So absurd and useless. Android has had that capability since forever, not MS with their useless attempt.

Suggest filing a report in FBH and share the link in this forum so others can upvote. In meantime, you can always use the Win10 Start Menu if you prefer.

Regards,

Johnny

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Johnny_55 . I followed your recommendation and shared the question on the Feedback Hub.

"you can always use the Win10 Start Menu if you prefer." You mean a rollback to W10 or is there a parameter in W11 to use the former Start Menu ?

Best regards,

François

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Johnny_55 . I followed your recommendation and shared the question on the Feedback Hub.

"you can always use the Win10 Start Menu if you prefer." You mean a rollback to W10 or is there a parameter in W11 to use the former Start Menu ?

Please share the FBH link in this Forum. Many other Insiders will take note and possibly upvote.

You have to modify the registry to use the Win10 Start Menu in Win11. Create a text file called whatyoulike.txt. Copy the following to the text file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"Start_ShowClassicMode"=dword:00000001

Save the file and rename it to whatyoulike.reg and merge the registry file. Reboot for the change to take effect. If you prefer to return to the new Start Menu, create another reg file and change the dword value to 0.

Regards,

Johnny

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The FBH link > https://aka.ms/AAd24n9

Thank you so much for the hack

Greetings from Toulouse, France

François

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Johnny,

Maybe a catch all OT thread could be used so that we don't have to create a new thread for every general question that is not related to a specific build.

Given that the moderators love to delete everything Out of Topic, I think it could be useful to have one for all general questions without the fear that the posts will get deleted. 😎

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My guess is they won't like it because it will get too long and hard to follow, but nice idea.

Thanks for the registry hack, Johnny.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My guess is they won't like it because it will get too long and hard to follow, but nice idea.

Thanks for the registry hack, Johnny.

You are welcome. I prefer to use the term registry edit. Works great for switching back and forth.

Agree with you Anthony, fg has a good idea, but it would get too lengthy. Possibly we can work something out along that line. I'm sure CK would appreciate that. I admit, tend to give her a hard time some days. Sorry my friend.

Wonder if it would be possible to have posts removed automatically after so many days or weeks to limit thread size. We would probably have to take that up with the Forum Owners. Maybe something similar to Moderation Requests, that gets renewed weekly but for Insiders. Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Johnny

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2024 Views 3,040 Applies to: