Free "Windows 10 Home with Bing" Edition

Hello and good day,

I have one suggestion: Microsoft should make "Windows 10 Home with Bing" (or something similar) available directly to the general public at no cost (free of charge). Instead, Microsoft could have a continuous revenue stream/sources from the built-in Bing-based services. Here's how:

1. Make Project Spartan/Edge browser as the default browser, and it CANNOT be changed. But third-party web browsers should be able to be installed and used as usual; just they cannot be set as the default web app only. Alternatively, the user may choose between Edge or Internet Explorer to be the default browser.

2. Make www.bing.com the only default homepage for Edge (and Internet Explorer), and it CANNOT be changed.

3. Make Bing the default search engine/provider for Edge (and Internet Explorer), and it CANNOT be changed.

4. Place the Edge icon (and maybe Internet Explorer too) on the Desktop, and it CANNOT be removed.

5. Pin the Edge icon (and also maybe Internet Explorer) on the Taskbar, and it CANNOT be unpinned.

Microsoft may choose to apply any of the options above (one or more), or maybe all together. Any modification attempts (directly or by ‘hacking’ the registry) will be greeted with a message/dialog box, such as “Sorry, this feature isn’t available in this edition of Windows. To use this feature, you can upgrade to a higher Windows edition. For more information, click here (link to Microsoft Store)”.

If the user somehow successfully makes the changes (by editing the Registry or modifying system files), it’ll reverted back to the default (immediately, or on next logon/reboot). A warning message may appears, such as “Windows detected an attempt to tamper the default settings which violates your current Windows license agreement (EULA). For more information, click here (link to Microsoft Support/Store)”.

The user could opt to upgrade to a paid Home or Pro editions easily by buying a new Product Key from Microsoft (a.k.a. Windows Anytime Upgrade).

Furthermore, if necessary, Microsoft may make this free edition of Windows a bit ‘lighter’, i.e. it only contains a subset of Windows 10 Home features (e.g. as Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 7 Home Premium). However, all core and primary Windows 10 features (that’s been advertised front and centre) should not be excluded. Also, the support options could be limited to community forum (Microsoft Answers), or by paying per-case basis.

To clarify, this suggested free "Bing edition" for the general public is intended to be acquired and obtained directly from Microsoft (i.e. manually downloaded by the user). It is NOT to be bundled/pre-installed with any PCs or notebooks (and it should NOT be - as it will definitely trigger anti-trust complaints).

The point here is for Microsoft to offer choices; there will be free edition, and there will be paid editions (normal Home and Pro) - the consumers can make their own choice. Those who choose not to pay, they can download, install, and use the free "Bing edition", and for those who don't like the limitations, they can choose to buy and use the paid editions - as usual.

I believe there should NOT be any antitrust issues here as the user knowingly and willfully download and install the software (the EULA will be presented to the user first and foremost), and they have the option to buy the normal Home or Pro editions which don’t have the above limitations.

Lastly, if somehow Microsoft cannot make a free edition for some reasons, a very low cost edition (under $10, with the above characteristics) is really, really welcomed.

I’m positive that this move is in-line with the spirit of making Windows as a Service, as Microsoft planned.

Regards,
-Musafir_86.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello and good day,

I have one suggestion: Microsoft should make "Windows 10 Home with Bing" (or something similar) available directly to the general public at no cost (free of charge). Instead, Microsoft could have a continuous revenue stream/sources from the built-in Bing-based services. Here's how:

1. Make Project Spartan/Edge browser as the default browser, and it CANNOT be changed. But third-party web browsers should be able to be installed and used as usual; just they cannot be set as the default web app only. Alternatively, the user may choose between Edge or Internet Explorer to be the default browser.

Never going to happen, consumers would complain and it would provoke Anti-trust claims. There is no need for this, choice is good.

2. Make www.bing.com the only default homepage for Edge (and Internet Explorer), and it CANNOT be changed.

It is the default but cannot be changed is an unrealistic expectation.

3. Make Bing the default search engine/provider for Edge (and Internet Explorer), and it CANNOT be changed.

4. Place the Edge icon (and maybe Internet Explorer too) on the Desktop, and it CANNOT be removed.

It is on Taskbar by default.

5. Pin the Edge icon (and also maybe Internet Explorer) on the Taskbar, and it CANNOT be unpinned.
  It is on Taskbar by default.

Microsoft may choose to apply any of the options above (one or more), or maybe all together. Any modification attempts (directly or by ‘hacking’ the registry) will be greeted with a message/dialog box, such as “Sorry, this feature isn’t available in this edition of Windows. To use this feature, you can upgrade to a higher Windows edition. For more information, click here (link to Microsoft Store)”.

If the user somehow successfully makes the changes (by editing the Registry or modifying system files), it’ll reverted back to the default (immediately, or on next logon/reboot). A warning message may appears, such as “Windows detected an attempt to tamper the default settings which violates your current Windows license agreement (EULA). For more information, click here (link to Microsoft Support/Store)”.

The user could opt to upgrade to a paid Home or Pro editions easily by buying a new Product Key from Microsoft (a.k.a. Windows Anytime Upgrade).

Furthermore, if necessary, Microsoft may make this free edition of Windows a bit ‘lighter’, i.e. it only contains a subset of Windows 10 Home features (e.g. as Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 7 Home Premium). However, all core and primary Windows 10 features (that’s been advertised front and centre) should not be excluded. Also, the support options could be limited to community forum (Microsoft Answers), or by paying per-case basis.

I believe there should NOT be any antitrust issues here as the user knowingly and wilfully download and install the software (the EULA will be presented to the user first and foremost), and they have the option to buy the normal Home or Pro editions which don’t have the above limitations.

Lastly, if somehow Microsoft cannot make a free edition for some reasons, a very low cost edition (under $10, with the above characteristics) is really, really welcomed.

I’m positive that this move is in-line with the spirit of making Windows as a Service, as Microsoft planned.

Regards,
-Musafir_86.            

How many editions of Windows 10 are there?

Introducing Windows 10 Editions

As in the past, we will offer different Windows editions that are tailored for various device families and uses. These different editions address specific needs of our various customers, from consumers to small businesses to the largest enterprises.

• Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 10 Mobile
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Education
  • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise
  • Windows 10 for IoT (Internet of Things)

Learn more:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/

For a complete breakdown:

What are the editions of Windows 10 available?

Resource: How to know the Edition, Architecture, Channel and build of Windows 10 installed.

How much will Windows 10 cost?

Microsoft has not revealed all the details about pricing for Windows 10 yet, but they did announce that Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users.

Wow, thats cool, but does that mean, I will have to pay for Windows 10 after the first year?

No. Its a promotion to get as many users to upgrade their existing Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 10. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device at no additional charge.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

What are the official upgrade paths to Windows 10?

Microsoft revealed in a Channel 9 Video the official upgrade paths to Windows 10:

Windows XP and Windows Vista users will have to do a clean install from a .ISO, so will Windows 8.0 users.

Source: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/WinHEC/2015/OWD100

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

thanks for the Intrusiveness of your "freeness addiction", but no thanks! dont make me pay for your free version of windows. I may  pay for one with actual money when it is released but i surely will not take the free upgrade!. i despise forced advertising and block it in every way i can!

essentially, you are saying that almost every OEM computer sold with windows10 OEM installed should be ADWARE machines and i should have to buy another license after purchase to dump such ignorance!!!  WOW!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

-Firstly, thanks for your reply.

-However, did you fully read my arguments until the end? What I can see is that you only replied to the 5 msin points, but not to the arguments and explanations below it. I even touched anti-trust issues beforehand. What I mean is for Microsoft to offer choices; there will be free edition, and there will be paid editions (normal Home and Pro) - the consumers can make their own choice.

-Those who choose not to pay, they can download, install, and use the free "Bing edition", and for those who don't like the limitations, they can choose to buy and use the paid, normal Home/Pro editions.

-For clarification, this suggested free "Bing edition" for general public is intended to be acquired/obtained and downloaded directly from Microsoft, which means the user acts on his/her own accord, fully aware of his/her action. It is NOT to be bundled/pre-installed with PCs and notebooks (which of course will definitely trigger anti-trust complaints).

-I hope this will enough to clarify my arguments.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

-Firstly, thanks for your reply.

-However, did you fully read my arguments until the very end? What I mean is for Microsoft to offer choices; there will be free edition, and there will be paid editions (normal Home and Pro) - the consumers can make their own choice.

-Those who choose not to pay, they can download, install, and use the free "Bing edition", and for those who don't like the limitations, they can choose to buy and use the paid, normal Home/Pro editions - as usual.

-For clarification, this suggested free "Bing edition" for general public is intended to be acquired/obtained and downloaded directly from Microsoft, which means the user acts on his/her own accord, fully aware of his/her action. It is NOT to be bundled/pre-installed with PCs and notebooks.

-One of the reasons I'm suggesting this partially because I don't like to install unlicensed copy of Windows every time someone send me a PC/laptop for me to repair, but they don't have a valid license nor they want to pay for a new license (due to currency exchange rate, Windows (and Office) licenses here are exorbitantly high, costing nearly half the cost of a new entry-level PC/laptop).

-I hope this will be enough to clarify my arguments.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

oh yeah, some European commision is gonna have a lot of fielddays with the new microsoft contraption.

i can see the fines flying allready, be prepared to give up your adware earned cash microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

-Thanks for the reply.

-However, did you fully read my arguments until the very end? What I mean is for Microsoft to offer choices; there will be free edition, and there will be paid editions (normal Home and Pro) - the consumers can make their own choice. Those who choose not to pay, they can download, install, and use the free "Bing edition", and for those who don't like the limitations, they can choose to buy and use the paid, normal Home/Pro editions - as usual.

-For clarification, this suggested free "Bing edition" for general public is intended to be acquired/obtained and downloaded directly from Microsoft, which means the user acts on his/her own accord, fully aware of his/her action. It is NOT to be bundled/pre-installed with PCs and notebooks.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm pretty sure that "Windows 10 of any version" = "Windows 10 with Bing". Users will have to change their default settings if they don't want Bing baked into everything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also I would be willing to bet that Windows 10 Home is going to remain a free upgrade even after the first year. I think they are putting the first year limitation on it to get people to upgrade right away. Assuming that is true then there is no need for Windows 10 with Bing because that's what the Home edition is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't see this happening. I should say, I don't see anybody intentionally downloading and installing an OS like this for very long. As EULA's are notoriously contained within the "package", once people find out that it's nothing more than "adware", they will stop downloading it.

I remember when I bought Office 97, the box contained a paper envelope that had a label stating: By opening this package, you agree to the EULA enclosed (or something to that effect)(the EULS was on the CD). Now tell me, how you can agree to something you can't read? NO, it wasn't on line either! (This must be where Nancy Pelosi got the idea for "let's just pass this thing so we can find out what's in it!", when the PPACA was passed).

Trees, sawdust in it's raw form.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i WOULD be pretty irritated to find out i downloaded something that was totally sheeple revenue orientated! theres no money symbols tatood on my body anywhere!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 236 Applies to: