Error: "We couldn't install some updates using the account you're signed in with. Try signing in with another account." while installing Build 14257

I'm running build 11102 and signed in with a Microsoft account. When trying to download 14257, I get this error: We couldn't install some updates using the account you're signed in with. Try signing in with another account.

The problem may have been caused by a power outage during a previous attempt.

BTW, the previous update was KB890830 (malicious software removal tool). After a lengthy download time, it eventually indicated "installing" but never seemed to complete. Restarted computer after some 2.5 hours of inactivity.

Original title: can't download preview build 14257

Answer
Answer

Thanks for the response. Firstly, re signing in, I always sign in with my MS account. Shutting down, then restarting my computer made no difference. It seems to me that the problem started with a failed download when the power was interrupted.

Later - the problem seems to have fixed itself. I followed this advice elsewhere and deleted everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, then shut down the computer. After a reboot the next day, build 14257 downloaded and eventually installed correctly. Many thanks, Deepika for your assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I had the same problem:

I then followed instructions from previous and followed this path and deleted everything:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, then shut down the computer

I then tried to update again and got the same error, try using another account.

-  I went back to the before mentioned "Download" folder

-  Opened the content with notepad

-  It was talking about Silverlight 5

-  I went to Microsofts Silverlight 5 website and installed it

-  I tried to install build 14257 again and got the same error

-  I opened Silverlight 5 and scrolled through the options and closed it

-  I went back to updates and tried to install 14257 again, and it worked, downloaded 14257 and installed

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 22,634 Applies to: