Error 0xc0000225 "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" when upgrading

I am currently on build 10130, and am unable to upgrade to any new builds. The new builds will download as normal, but when it restarts to install the build, it goes to a blue Recovery screen rather than the "Upgrading Windows" screen.

None of the options will do anything (besides flash the screen) so my only option is to restart. The only message after booting back into Windows is "We couldn't finish installing updates.", then it immediately goes to download the new build again.

I am dual-booting Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. They are on separate SSDs. 8.1 is on my older 256GB SSD, which I am planning to replace with a 512GB SSD (which currently has the 10 preview). The 256GB SSD (with 8.1) will be removed once 10 is out of preview, but for now I am dual-booting.

As Win10 is on a brand new SSD, it is a clean install of build 10130.

I have tried disconnecting everything except the basics (keyboard, mouse, Ethernet, display), and I had also tried upgrading using an ISO to 10162 (same error). I am assuming the issue relates to hardware (likely motherboard/chipset) since it seems others have had no issues with dual-boot configurations. I also read somewhere that File History could cause this error, though even after disabling File History (on 8.1) I still got the error.

Motherboard is from a prebuilt HP system, Pegatron IPMMB-FM Formosa (

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/HP-ENVY-Phoenix-h9-Desktop-PC-series/5295991/model/5296896/document/c03132942#N618)

CPU is Intel Core i7-3770, graphics card is AMD Radeon 7770.

Answer
Answer

Alright, just decided to try something different, and I got the upgrade installing!

After Windows downloaded the build again, and asked me to restart, I hit restart, but rather than letting it boot up normally, I interrupted it during POST and went into the UEFI. I then went into Select boot device (like how I'd boot a CD), and then chose "Windows Boot Manager". It immediately started the upgrade!

I have no idea why this managed to get it working, but I'm quite happy that it works now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 4,164 Applies to: