Email Address displayed twice on Windows 10 Sign in Screen

On the Windows 10 sign in screen my email address (it is my Microsoft Account) is displayed twice.  Once where it should be and once where my user name should be displayed.  It looks correct on my other computer.  The email address is also displayed at the top of the start menu, instead of the user name.  I have tried everything I can think of without being able to get it to change permanently.   

Using netplwiz, I can see the User Name is correct and the Full Name is blank.  If I add what I want displayed to Full Name and sign out and back in, it appears correct until it gets logged in and then it changes back and the Full Name is blank again.

Any of you Windows Smart People have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Go Settings, Account and see what you have there.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, it just has the email address in there and no way to update, add something or change it.
John A. Wolf

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

Same issue for me !

I tried everything but still this issue !

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On the Windows 10 sign in screen my email address (it is my Microsoft Account) is displayed twice.  Once where it should be and once where my user name should be displayed.  It looks correct on my other computer.  The email address is also displayed at the top of the start menu, instead of the user name.  I have tried everything I can think of without being able to get it to change permanently.   

Using netplwiz, I can see the User Name is correct and the Full Name is blank.  If I add what I want displayed to Full Name and sign out and back in, it appears correct until it gets logged in and then it changes back and the Full Name is blank again.

Any of you Windows Smart People have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue on both of my Windows 10 computers. Both of them were upgraded from Windows 8.1 x64 using the Media Creation Tool and both use Microsoft Accounts as login method.

FWIW I've tried creating a new administrator account, logged in using that new account, launched netplwiz to change the account name of the old admin account that has this issue, logged out again and back in with the old account. At this point the login screen shows the correct full name and the account's e-mail adress beneath. However, once I've logged in again with the old admin account its full user name instantly reverts to a blank string again, hence showing my e-mail twice (instead of full user name followed by e-mail) the next time I log back in. Windows 10 also shows my e-mail address instead of my full name in the start menu for this user. Something is resetting the account's full user name upon connecting and fetching the online user data for some reason.

Another, newly created Microsoft account which I added as a new user to this computer does not have this issue so it might be an issue with the online account itself.

I can add that I did at one point rename my Windows Live account to a new account name (primary address) after Outlook.com launched. My old Windows Live account name still lingers in some parts of the Microsoft ecosystem and also still exists as an e-mail account alias.

Regards, H

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

H, I can reproduce the Correct Full Name that gets replaced with the email address after a subsequent log in when I change it with a different admin account.  I get the same behavior is I just change it from the effected account.  I do have one computer where it appears correctly, so I don't think it is a global issue as opposed to a local computer issue.
John A. Wolf

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is happening to my notebook also..

My full name is replaced by the corresponding email address.

The notebook was running Win 8.1 Pro, I updated it online. 

Afterwards I tried to reset Windows, and also performed a clean install to no avail.

I'm postponing the update in my other machines until this is sorted out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess I found out something:
The problem affected my laptop which had been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1 Pro.
I installed Windows using a MS account, and then joined my Homegroup.
Then the problem appeared: user name is gone, email address appears twice at logon screen.
After several trials I disconnected all the computers from the Homegroup, which was created in a Windows 8.1 Pro desktop, and then I created a new Homegroup from the Windows 10 Pro laptop.

My Windows 8,1 desktop and my also Windows 8.1 HTPC joined the new Homegroup flawlessly.

Evidently there is an issue regarding MS accounts when a Windows 10 PC joins a Homegroup started in a Windows 8.1 machine.

Home this info is useful.

My Windows 10 laptop has not changed my full name by my email so far.

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After several tests and an unsuccessful talk with an MS support guy I think I'm reaching an explanation.
I created a new Microsoft account (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***), then I switched all my computers to local accounts and took them out of the previous homegroup.
Then I started to switch them to the newly created MS account.
Then I created a new Homegroup.
Then I joined all the computers to the new Homegroup.

After one day of closing sessions, cold and hot reboots and even a router reboot the double email at login issue seems to have disappeared.

What made me think of doing this is that the previous MS account that I was employing to install Win 10 had a gmail address as an alias.
I also had a MS account with a gmail address as primary alias. It seems that if two MS Accounts have crossed alias and the same username, something goes wrong with the Window s10 user profile.

So far the problem is gone.

Hope this info its useful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mirko, did I understand you right? You solved it by creating a new MS Account and abandoning the old one? If so and that works for you great, but I am committed to my current MS Account.  This is an annoyance issue for me but everything works fine.

I did upgrade another computer today it is displaying the two email addresses rather than the friendly name and email address on the lock screen.  So far I have one computer displaying it properly and two that don't.  Given that and your fix via a new account, I am guessing it is something Win10 is picking up from the MS Account online.  I am not sure why my one machine works properly.  All three computers displayed the name correctly in Win8.1.

Hopefully, MS figures out what is going on and fixes it soon.

John A. Wolf

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Based on the clues that have been appearing in different threads, it seems that the issue is tied to MS accounts whose primary alias has been changed from the original one.

Checking out the registry I found several times the former primary alias.

In another trial I logged with a MS account that had a gmail account as primary alias and an outlook mail as secondary and the problem appeared again.

So far the new MS account is behaving ok.

The prblem has no further consequences so far, other than aesthetic. But it should not be happening.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2024 Views 23,059 Applies to: