dontrefresh -New files do not appear until F5 or a screen refresh is done

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8afb8b65-900c-4f42-b1df-3c2394417b6e/windows-explorer-doesnt-refresh-when-movingdeleting?forum=w7itproui 

Having same issue with win10 Build 10586

There is no dontrefresh in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID

I created it, set the dword to 0, no change.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi William,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

This issue might occur if some of the files/folders settings got corrupted.

I suggest you to try resetting the folders on the Windows explorer and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

1) Open Windows Explorer.

2) Click on the View tab.

3) Click on the Options button, a pop Windows for Folder Options will appear.

4) Click on the View tab in Folder Options Windows.

5) Click on Reset Folders button.

Note: We recommend you to not make any changes in the registry, it might effect the System files.

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your 'fix' worked until I did a reboot, then the problem returned.

Next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi William,

Thank for replying to us with the status of your issue.

We appreciate  you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

As the issue reappears after restarting the System, so it might occur if some of the system files got corrupted.

I suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Perform System File Checker (SFC) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2: Run DISM commands.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a new command line tool that you can use to service a Windows image or prepare a Windows PE image. The DISM tool replaces the Package Manager (pkgmgr.exe), PEimg, and Intlcfg tools. DISM consolidates the functionality found in those three tools, as well as delivers new functionality to improve the experience of offline servicing.

Follow the steps to Run DISM Commands:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seriously, the 'canned response' SFC scan? Is that the updated version of 'reboot'?

Every issue, this is the response you people give. Time for a new script.

I see this question is dead in the water.

Read the original question. See the link (a MS site to boot!!!!)

There is a well documented flaw.

MS is wondering why so many people feel they are going into the toilet.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no dontrefresh in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID

But the default was True, so now the default functionality is True with no option to change it?   Working As Designed I expect.  That's the way bugs are fixed these days--remove the functionality where the bug was observed.  Presto!  No bug, just undocumented WYSIWYG programmed functionality--I can't call it "designed" then but that's how it gets labeled when people want to challenge the decision.

I just checked on the Feedback app.  Nobody has raised the issue there yet.  You could be first.

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Robert!

Yeah, I saw this issue first raised with 7 then 8 and some people had luck most did not. Not sure if I get why 'luck' resolved it, esp. being I have been a programmer since the late 70's and 'luck' was a n00b term used when they guessed right! MS should at least admit they do not know of the fix, that they are aware of it and will keep us informed if a solution is found. I am even open to being contacted and running test patches, if that is what it takes. Sadly, MS has taken the route of throwing 1,000,000 guys (monkeys) in a room and expecting War and Peace to be written.

I was one of the first to raise the flag on the Ethernet issues early last fall. Next to no response from MS other than 'Did you run SFC'? Months later, MS acknowledged they disabled all ability to modify the adapter then later, admitted there were issues then suddenly, we could modify the adapter and at the same time, the issues went away. Similar to the bug where a laptop would not shut completely down and have excessive HD activity and required a hard shut down. Nary a peep about the problem or that they fixed it. Which I discovered, they did.

I did not have 'the enhanced feature of dontrefresh' until probably Sept, 2015 or thereabouts. There has been at least one complete new version of 10 installed since then.

I have also had another undocumented 'bonus' though I have not spent much time looking at it so I am not pointing fingers, yet. May times, when saving a file, there is between zero and five seconds 'lag time' before the file is saved. This save is being done on a Velociraptor (about 1 year old) and my first thought was that perhaps the drive is 'asleep' and it has to be woken. Though I can do multiple 'saves' and many have the lag and every now and then, no lag at all. I need to test some before I make a stink. I have a RAID 0 (dual SSD Corsair Neutrons) for C and single Raptors for D, E and F. I'll try a few saves onto C and the other drives to see if it is unique to the data drive or all drives. Just a thought as the issues may have some correlation.

Edit: Did a few quick tests, happens on all drives. At least I have the ISO of the 'official' release and if it gets worse, I can go back. They say you can never go home. Ha! ;)

Edit-Edit: I just wasted a half hour of my life reading nearly every post in the MS thread I linked to in my first post of this thread. Seems other people 'had the Windows Experience' of the delay in saving too. This goes back to the fall of 2009!!!!! Six years ago and no solution? Incredible!

I guess I should go and eat my checkers......

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update: Just installed Win 10 Ver. 11082 - No change

FYI

I did test for this problem on my laptop, but it has no software on  it other than Win 10 insider. It does not have the problem. However, it seems a small percentage of people are experiencing it so I did not expect it to exhibit it. My wifes laptop also does not exhibit the issue (according to her, I have not personally confirmed it)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A bit more information.

I can create a file or folder on the desktop, it is immediately visible. I can also delete the file and it immediately goes away 'into' the recycle bin. However, and files/folders made in/on a drive does not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi William,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

It seems that some of the third party application is creating conflict with the system files/settings.

As the issue still persist, I suggest you to start you system in safe mode and if the issue persist. If in safe mode, issue didn’t persist then, perform a clean boot and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

Step 1: To start your system in safe mode follow the below steps:

1. Press and hold Shift key and restart your Computer.

2. Select Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advance Option.

4. Select Startup Settings.

5. Follow the on Screen instruction.

Step 2: Perform Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi William,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

It seems that some of the third party application is creating conflict with the system files/settings.

As the issue still persist, I suggest you to start you system in safe mode and if the issue persist. If in safe mode, issue didn’t persist then, perform a clean boot and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

Step 1: To start your system in safe mode follow the below steps:

1. Press and hold Shift key and restart your Computer.

2. Select Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advance Option.

4. Select Startup Settings.

5. Follow the on Screen instruction.

Step 2: Perform Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Santosh,

I did a restart in safe mode (your step 1), the problem remained.

Then....

I restarted the computer, followed the article, disabling all items in my start up in Task manager (your step 2), the problem continues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2021 Views 9,714 Applies to: