Does anyone like the new "All apps" pane on the Start Menu? What would you prefer?

First of all, since I will be picturing several Start Menus below, I would like to be clear that we are not discussing the Start Menu or Metro Tiles, but only the All apps pane in Windows 10, the All apps screen in Windows 8, the All Programs pane in Windows 7, and the Programs menu of the Windows XP/Vista Classic Start Menu.

I personally find the new All apps pane on the Windows 10 Start Menu to be very clumsy and restrictive, and was wondering if anyone else actually likes it.  Here it is, pictured below (see the left side):

Figure 1: Windows 10 All apps pane

Windows 10's All apps pane is reminiscent of the one Windows 7 has, which I don't like either.  However, compared to Windows 7, Windows 10 has a greatly restricted view (showing only 9 programs in the screenshot above!), and its context menu is completely stripped of functionality.  So it's basically worse than what we had in Windows 7 (which is showing 18 programs in a similar amount of space below):

Figure 2: Windows 7 All Programs pane (simulated by Classic Shell)

On a desktop computer, I greatly prefer the Windows XP/Vista classic menus.  They are very easy and fast to navigate, you can see a whole lot more programs at a time (which aids in instead visual recognition), and you can open any program with just two clicks.  In fact, at this time, all of my programs fit on the screen without requiring any scrolling (see the right side below):

Figure 3: Classic Programs menu from XP/Vista, simulated by Classic Shell

Now, none of the above are tablet friendly, including the current Windows 10 implementation.  Having used Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 on a tablet, I must say that the All apps screen in Windows 8, while poorly arranged, is very convenient to navigate on a tablet (and actually not that bad on a touch-enabled laptop).  Unfortunately, with Windows 10, touchscreen users are still stuck with the tiny, clumsy, and vertical scrolling All apps pane shown in my first screenshot.  I think something like the image below would be nicer for touchscreen users; it incorporates the touchscreen friendliness of Windows 8's All apps screen, while retaining the better organization of the Windows 10 All apps pane:

Figure 4: My All apps screen concept (the folders should probably all be expanded, but that would have taken a lot of time for me to put together)

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Right click the desktop. Properties. The heading will be BACKGROUND. There is a setting "Background" it has a drop-down, select Picture. Below that is "Choose your picture". Select the image you wish to use! Exit.

BUT!

On win7, slideshow, I could choose a folder on another machine/drive without it being in the 'pictures library'.

That is not an option for slideshow anymore.  It just don't work.

So that's one more thing that does not work the way it does today - One MORE change to my workflows that I have to deal with thanks to the morons in charge of OS development at microsmall.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

"Windows 10's All apps pane is reminiscent of the one Windows 7 has, which I don't like either. "

yeah, I prefer XP's menu also, but I can work WITH the 7 'all applications' menu.  After all, if you TURN OFF THE ALPHABETIZATION (which you CAN do in 7!) then you can 'drag things around' and "sort it YOUR way" and put important things at the top, etc. and of course get rid of all of the CRUFT.

But can you do this in 10?  NOOOoooo.  You're stuck with whatever "lowest common denominator" that Microsoft dredged out from the BOWELS OF HECK to stink up the "Start Thing" with.

And these are some of the reasons that Windows 10 _WILL_ _FAIL_.

let's get HONEST in alt.comp.os.windows-10 on USENET, where there are NO mods

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I know All programs changed it's name to All Apps - they are one and the same thing, so I will call them both by the current name to save confusion.

You say you can order them anyway you like but you cannot. To prove you can do what you cannot, you show the all apps list in the enforced default of sort alphabetically by folder then program. This is the problem with Windows 7 and 10 - the All App list has only one sort option. Sure, in Win7 you turn this off and drag to your own order, but this quick devolves into a mess and most people do what you are doings and leave the sort the one way Microsoft likes on instead. The Win8 solution is superior in two ways: you can use the jump keys that Win7 does not have and you can pin many more apps to the pinned area than even you can with your abnormally high XP style pinned tiles. You get 23, ungroupable stacked pinned apps and I have 63 apps grouped horizontally and vertically. This means I am less likely to need to go to all apps. The Win7 solution is superior in that you have more flexibility in naming and the folder then app sort allows you to move folders up towards the top.

You are wrong with your pictures - the top picture does not show fly outs - they died when the single column style in Win7 replaced the fly out style from Win95. The bottom picture is no different from Win8:

Note: in Win 10 the folder has the added cue of the chevron to show it can be expanded. It expands the folder in the same way that Win7 does.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you're right, I should call them expandable menus rather than fly-outs, and yes, I find it easier to search for a program (or app - they are still different things to me) if they are in alphabetical order. One thing I've not found out how to do in Win 10 is group similar programs under a single tile. For example, where you have your Office programs grouped together under Office, I just have a single tile called Office, which when I click on it opens the list or tiles of the programs within Office. Similarly with Graphics programs, Security programs etc. This makes for a less cluttered desktop.
If my post answers your question or is helpful, please mark it as so. Thank you.
John the Pilot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. allow ALL of what you suggest should be real easy.  The code is already there.   There is no reason they cannot make these options available.  They can pick the default making it look like it does now, but make it Smart Start Menu.  They don't have to make customizing it like some registry hack or like trying to change a policy.  It should learn how you're using it and recommend and save changes.  Earlier builds had a full screen and minimize button now I have to do a personalize setting?

Gee it wouldn't be that hard to make the Smart Start Menu have options like full screen that remembers, hey this person probably wants full screen.  Oh, they clicked and expand All Apps gee let me do that the next time too.  Also, I see they dragged the folder icon onto the Smart Menu Sort therefore I'm thinking they want folders and not an alphabetical list.  Ooops, the user just selected a non Metro Interface Style; good-bye Metro apps and Smart Menu uses the menu space to show other programs and items available to the user.   GroonTona (or what ever it is called) says, I see you're only looking for content on your PC would you like me to stop sending keystrokes out to Bing giving you internet searches?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Classic Shell 4.2.2 gives me the start menu control I need, but I would prefer ZERO apps, no settings panel and all adjustments and settings facilitated in the conventional control panel.   I see nothing in this OS that makes it an "upgrade" at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's another problem all together. The issue at hand is, trbogt can't NOT have a slide show. He wants a static background, and it doesn't seem to work out for him. I'm just explaining what I've found that has been working for me.
Trees, sawdust in it's raw form.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A folder tile/icon/button to hold a group of apps/program in the Start page pinned app area is a good idea. This option is available in Windows 10 Mobile.

It would add a click and it just makes for a less cluttered start page / start menu, but used judiciously would be an improvement.

As these items are already off the desktop (by being on the Start Page) there is no clutter on the desktop with the above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to have sort options on the list of apps, as was available with Windows 8.1.  I was happy enough to sort my apps by "category" (other folks might prefer "By Date") rather than by alphabet on Windows 8.1, and would like at the very least to be able to do that on Windows 10.  Other amenities, such as being able to choose expanding the window (see Figure 4, easier readability), and having the option to easily reorganize (e.g, regroup, add, or remove) items that are listed under "All Apps" on the Start Menu would be nice, too.  Key words are "option" and "choose."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One if the worst things about Windows 10. Probably even worse than the total ugliness and confusion of the UI.

XP had it close to right. I would be satisfied if I could just click on it and get a popup that extends beyond the start menu that includes all programs or apps using multiple columns if necessary. It should be easy to add/remove things to/from the menu by simply right clicking on an executable or folder. Likewise I should be able to right click on an item and move it to/from a folder on the list. As others have said I should be able to move things around or group them in whatever order I please.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 19, 2021 Views 753 Applies to: