Disk Optimization IS NOT Running Automatically Properly

Eddie, recall my stressing the importance of showing last run date in thread for disk optimization. Not positive if this started with 19042.508 /546

First noticed this in my main system last week running 20H2 (non-insider). Disk Optimization is not running automatically, had about 13 days showing last run, settings are at default to run weekly. Did a manual run back last week.

This snapshot is from a virtual machine 20H2 that I test software on daily. Both devices are kept current with builds.

This snapshot is from my main system today. Have to give it couple more days to verify and will file a FBH report at that time and update this thread. Please advise if there is anything else I can add with FBH report.

Regards,

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Johnny,

Have you come across the Docs for defrag as I haven't read this before so thought I would post it?

There are some interesting points.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/defrag

Heres my system in which my HDD are defrag but like the points say SSD's  can not be scheduled. 

Windows 10 and 11 Insider Page - https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

As per the Microsoft article whose link you supplied, SSDs cannot be scheduled to be defragged. The following screenshot, in the white rectangle, is from the article.

For SSDs, Trim is meant by defragmentation, I believe, and by the article, it is my understanding that Trim cannot be scheduled to run periodically.

Is my understanding right ? If yes, when does Trim run ? Does SSD firmware decide if Trim should run or not run ? 

Can you or some other forum member who has knowledge on this shed some light on this situation ?

Uzun ve müreffeh yaşayın / Have a long and prosperous life.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Suat and Bryce for adding to this thread,

As Suat mentioned, from the article Bryce posted, "You can't schedule to defrag a SSD or volume on a VHD that resides on an SSD." This is understandable point regarding VHD on SSD, it is not clear as it fails to mention trim, only defrag.

In my first example, the Host (VMware) resides on SSD, the virtual machine resides on a separate HDD. The vm's manually Defrag, not Trim. As my main is Legacy bios as well as the vm's, in this example, Disk Optimization did automatically Defrag "System Reserved", but not the main Drive C: partition. This clearly shows a problem.

In the second example with SSD and HDD, the HDD's were maintained, not the SSD so it comes down to:

As all SSD's use Trim rather than Defrag, does or does this not still get scheduled with Disk Optimization?

Bryce, perhaps you recall the thread regarding Disk Optimization fails to retain last run info. Everyone was telling me it runs in the background, was a cosmetic issue. The subject of Defrag or Trim never came up.

It was not good enough for me, had to dbl check on all remotes that I maintained. Some questioned the hours wasted. It is what it is. Glad to state fully retired from freelancing. The gov taxes made it so, was not worth the effort. More time for me to annoy MS  :-)

Anyhow, hopefully Eddie or Jason can clarify if this be the case regarding Trim with Disk Optimization. Is this by design or a flaw?

Have a great day everyone!

Regards,

Johnny

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is one of my machines, all have SSDs and HDDs..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Today's Update:

Johnny

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a problem that I have reported a number of times. Defrag and Optimization are NOT the same. SSD:s can't be defragged but they can be optimized (trimmed) . After every reboot, any settings you have set will go away. Even setting them again and setting the schedule to Daily, the schedule never runs. It needs to be fixed!

Thanks,
Mike Halvorsen

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Mike,

I have always kept the settings on default, so was not aware of Disk Optimization not retaining any change of settings. Thank you for bringing this up.

Normally never run into this situation with autorun as part of my ritual after any update, newly installed programs, etc. run Disk Cleanup and then Disk Optimization manually to trim the SSD.

Have left a message with Jason regarding this issue. Hopefully Jason or Eddie will respond shortly.

Appreciate your input, and thank you for pointing out not retaining options in settings.

Regards,

Edit: Tried on my Acer laptop adjusting settings to daily. It remained there after several reboots. It did retain it's settings each time.

Johnny

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another day, no change with Disk Optimization:

FBH link:  https://aka.ms/AA9zxhw

Johnny

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Johnny, 

I don't understand this.

If it was not retaining the settings, how did this happen on 10/14/2020. 

I did not do it manually so something must have triggered it ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I thick it was Eddie who said it was cosmetic  and it should of ran , I don't think it should be called defrag  for SSD drives because it very confusing as it is  two different  methods to achieve similar outcomes..

like you I don't think Trim wasn't talked about in your first post about this issue or I can't remember.

MS should design a new program just for SSD as I think there enough of them about these days.

Windows 10 and 11 Insider Page - https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 28, 2024 Views 2,607 Applies to: