Critical Error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working...

Upgraded to 10159, upon which I had to log back into my MSA to get developer updates. It prompted me to set up a pin, which I did. Upon restart it will not recognize my pin, but I am able to still log in with my old pass.

Now when I log in, I get a "Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We we try and fix them when you restart" and it gives me the option to log off.

This is only happening on the account that had me change my MSA info at the upgrade (which was my original admin account), and I am pretty much unable to do anything on the desktop unless I run it through the cmd prompt.

I have since made a separate admin that I can log into fine without the error.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Zac,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run System File Checker, which will check your system for missing, corrupt or damaged files and attempt to fix them.

Please refer the article on “How to run System File Checker” and check if that helps.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb

Please feel free to contact us, if you need any further help we would be glad to assist you.
Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Zac G.

I posted the exact same thing under a different thread probably around the same time you posted yours.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/msa-inaccesable-after-build-10158/c377fac8-a3ac-4b91-805c-9b22b5f5bddf

So far no one has come up with a workable solution, so I'll be curious to hear if you have any better luck. I've run both the SFC and DSIM. Both verify the images / file system are AOK, so it much be something else.

What seems to be unique [in my estimation] is this error is occurring on the PC that I did an upgrade install versus a clean install. My upgrade went perfectly; I only had to re-link a few applications (Painshop Pro, Outlook) otherwise everything worked just fine.

Did you perform a clean install?

TUIA for any help - and I'll let you know if I have any luck.

CapWx

The only person I have to be better than today is the person I was yesterday.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both for your replies.

I am currently in the process of running SFC, although it wouldn't allow me to run it on the account in question (says that it must be run as admin, even though that account has admin privileges). I had to switch to my other temp admin that I created in order to run it. I'll post results when I get them.

CapWx, my copy too is an upgrade from Win7. I had found a previous issue where someone was getting the Cortana error (not the start menu) and they found a work around through the powershell. I tried that, but alas same issue persists. I wish I had saved the thread to share in case it might work for your issue.

Were you also prompted to log back into your MSA account on update and set a pin? I'm curious is that is somehow linked or just coincidental timing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Zac G.

The MSA issue has reared its ugly head after the upgrade to 10158 - which was anticipated [the need to use my Microsoft Account, not the error!] I was not fully aware of the MSA corruption until after the 10158 upgrade, when I received the Cortana and Start Menu warning. Does that make sense?

After the PC rebooted into 10158 I was not asked to use my Microsoft Account; in fact the PC login screen was the local account I had been using. In retrospect I may have screwed myself as I did the upgrade from the local account and not the MSA. Hmmm, I just though of that ...

Obviously, being 'stuck' with a local account is fine, but that effectively blocks me (and a LOT of people from what I'm reading) out of the remaining Builds. If the 10158 ISO was available on-line, perhaps I could do a repair install. Else, it's back to square one.

I hope that I made sense.

So far as the Powershell fix, I did see that somewhere - either here or on the TechNet Forum. Maybe I'll try that.

Thanks again for the response.

CapWx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Vijaya

No errors reported when SFC completed. Any other suggestions? I am still at a complete loss as to where to go from here. Everything appeared to be working just fine until I attached my MSA to the account in question again and it made me add a pin. On login is is telling me "Object not found" if I try logging in with the new pin, but when I use my password it will log in and I get the previously mentioned Critical Error.

Is there a way to delete the pin and/or unlink the MSA from the PC account? (using run/cmd prompt is really my only option since everything else is unacceptable from the error)

Task Manager is showing explorer.exe as not responding, ShellExperienceHost.exe as suspended, SearchUI.exe also suspended if any of that helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

not sure if mine is related.

I have also updated from 10130 to 10159

after that I cannot use Cortana (though I don't get an error message, simply nothing happens.

StarMenu works partially. I can "click" everything, but I cannot use the search function as in the past by simply typing in the Name of an app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

not sure if mine is related.

I have also updated from 10130 to 10159

after that I cannot use Cortana (though I don't get an error message, simply nothing happens.

StarMenu works partially. I can "click" everything, but I cannot use the search function as in the past by simply typing in the Name of an app.

Well ...

You have gotten farther than I did; regardless of the options tried all I get is the "Critical Error ... message" I'm stuck on build 10158 since I cannot fully log onto my MSA.

Just making a comment.

CapWx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it seems to be working here if I Login ONLY with my MS Account.

When I Login with my Domain Account (local only user permissions) I can't use either cortana nor the search function in the start menu. (the same MSA is linked to this domain user)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem, I think it appeared when I linked my MS account with the local one. Now that account cannot login other local admin accounts work fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is exactly what happens. No fix in sight?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2021 Views 112,364 Applies to: