Boot option of Roll Back (Windows 10 Preview back to Windows 8.1)

The Roll Back on 1/22/15 lost my Microsoft Account Picture, no big deal.  However it disallows my being able to download any Apps from the Store.  Something about Bad Length.  How do I get my Store to allow downloads for me?

Hi Den,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

Sorry to know that you are not able to install the apps from the Windows Store. Let me try and assist you with the issue you are experiencing.

1. Are you currently on Windows 8.1?

2. What is the exact error message that you receive when trying to install apps from Windows Store?

Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Download and run the Modern UI App troubleshooter and check. This tool can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps and the Store

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2:

If that does not help, you can try clearing the cache for the Windows Store on your PC.

a. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then clickSearch.)

b. Enter run in the search box, and then tap or click Run.

c. Enter wsreset.exe in the Run command and then tap or click OK.

Let us know the result. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the come back.  The error was "Bad Length".  Laptop (i7) is Windows 8.1 and Lumia 810 is Windows 8.  Support was dropped on the 810 so it can't upgrade to 8.1.

I was also having a problem with my SkyDrive/OneDrive automatic sign-in too.   So I switched primaries between my "outlook" and "live" accounts a couple of times back and forth and changed the password plus rebooted a couple of times, rechecked my Windows 8 phone to insure all accounts were connected, and the problem went away.   My Store now works and so does my One Drive.

An odd side affect is that I now have Apps on my alphabetical app screen that now say "install", and they are Apps I have never downloaded.  Is it possible that every App I've ever download and uninstalled has returned?  Although many of them I've never seen before.  Weird.  Maybe they were Apps Windows 10 Preview was going to add to my Apps and they remained when I rolled back to Windows 8.1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

Had the same problem after restoring Windows 8.1 from Windows 10 Technical Preview (unable to log in Skype and 'Bad length' error when trying to sign in Windows Store).

None of the suggested methods solved the problem. But disconnecting the account (switching to local) and then connecting it with Microsoft account again solved it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Same issue here, I had to rollback from Windows 10 as some overnight updates totally killed my Dell Venue II Pro, no keyboard, no screen digitiser, power off reboot, no change. screen flashing ...  

However the rollback to windows 8.1 Pro did work but having the Bad Length error when attempting to access Windows Store or OneDrive

I changed to a local account but it will not switch back to a Microsoft account, I get the message

"Sorry, we couldnt connect to Microsoft Services right now, if this problem persists, search for 'network problems' on the start screen.

Network is working as is Internet as I was able to log into my microsoft account via a browser

help

Regards

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steve

Change your password at live.com, give it 30 minutes for the password to synchronise to your pc and reboot.  Log in with the new password and it should all work again.

-Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Same issue here, I had to rollback from Windows 10 as some overnight updates totally killed my Dell Venue II Pro, no keyboard, no screen digitiser, power off reboot, no change. screen flashing ...  

However the rollback to windows 8.1 Pro did work but having the Bad Length error when attempting to access Windows Store or OneDrive

I changed to a local account but it will not switch back to a Microsoft account, I get the message

"Sorry, we couldnt connect to Microsoft Services right now, if this problem persists, search for 'network problems' on the start screen.

Network is working as is Internet as I was able to log into my microsoft account via a browser

help

Regards

Steve

Same exact issue here. Answers from Microsoft would be greatly appreciated. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I was using ''Windows 10 preview build 9926'' . One day on bootup nothing worked, no applications ran (not even internet explorer). So I went to ''PC Settings'' where I found that I had to "Verify" my account and when I tried to do , reply was ''We couldn't sign you in....................... Bad Length''. Problem was not solved so I booted up with "Windows Rollback (Preview Build 9841)". Same problem was there even .

Now how can I verify my account .

Thanks for help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The best way, is to go to live.com and sign in there.  You are best to change your password.  You can then sign out.  Leave your pc running for 30 minutes then reboot, signing in with your new password and all should be okay.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you are still unable to verify the account, kindly, follow these steps to switch your Microsoft account to a Local account and then switch back to Microsoft account.

1. In the Start search, type 'Settings and press Enter. 

2. Choose 'Accounts'.

3. Under 'Your account', click 'Disconnect' option available under your Microsoft account name.

4. Follow the onscreen instruction to create a local account.

Now, on the newly converted Local account, follow these steps:

1. In the Start search, type 'Settings and press Enter. 

2. Choose 'Accounts'.

3. Under 'Your account' click 'Connect to a Microsoft account'.

4. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

Follow onscreen instruction.

Let us know if it helps. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 1,640 Applies to: