Bluetooth Headphones Connecting, but not Playing Audio

Hello,

After updating to Windows 10 Insider Preview 21296.1000, the Bluetooth earbuds I have been using for several months no longer play any sound. They are still connected in the Bluetooth settings, and the earbuds show up in the list of sound playback devices, but the headphones play no audio. If I leave them connected, I have noticed that the earbuds will also occasionally disconnect (Causing the computer audio to play through the computer's speakers instead) before reconnecting several seconds later. Additionally, when the earbuds connect, the volume setting on Windows changes to 100. Even stranger, when I connect the earbuds, the audio will sometimes play for a split second before going quiet. This has made troubleshooting even more frustrating, since I know that it can play the sound, but something is stopping it. I have confirmed that the earbuds still work fine if I connect them to my cell phone or to other computers, so the problem lies somewhere in the recent updates.

The earbuds are OKG S12 True Wireless Earbuds. They are perhaps not a shining bastion of quality, but they worked perfectly fine before the update, and they work perfectly on other devices.

Some things that I have tried 

- Restarting the Computer

- Removing and re-pairing the headphones

- Factory resetting the headphones

- Setting the headphones as the default playback device

- Disabling audio enhancements

- Disabling the checkbox "Allow Applications to take Exclusive Control of This Device"

- Disabling the "Hands-Free Audio" Device in the sound devices list

- Disabling the LE Bluetooth Enumerator in Device Manager

- Disabling the Intel Bluetooth Driver and Re-Enabling it

- Uninstalling the Intel Bluetooth Driver and Re-Installing it

- Downgrading to an older version of the Intel Bluetooth Driver

- Checking for new drivers for these headphones (There are none)

- Updating Audio Drivers

- Restarting the Bluetooth Support Service

- Running the Sound Troubleshooter (No luck)

The answer to this problem may simply be to get a higher-quality pair of Bluetooth headphones, but I would like to know if there are any other solutions to try before I need to pay for a new pair of headphones.

|

We are now up to build 21318.

Why hasn't your PC updated?

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have updated Windows since I started having problems, but the problem affecting the headphones still persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please file the issue in Feedback Hub and share the link here

so Eddie (MSFT) can see it.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

After updating to Windows 10 Insider Preview 21296.1000, the Bluetooth earbuds I have been using for several months no longer play any sound. They are still connected in the Bluetooth settings, and the earbuds show up in the list of sound playback devices, but the headphones play no audio. If I leave them connected, I have noticed that the earbuds will also occasionally disconnect (Causing the computer audio to play through the computer's speakers instead) before reconnecting several seconds later. Additionally, when the earbuds connect, the volume setting on Windows changes to 100. Even stranger, when I connect the earbuds, the audio will sometimes play for a split second before going quiet. This has made troubleshooting even more frustrating, since I know that it can play the sound, but something is stopping it. I have confirmed that the earbuds still work fine if I connect them to my cell phone or to other computers, so the problem lies somewhere in the recent updates.

The earbuds are OKG S12 True Wireless Earbuds. They are perhaps not a shining bastion of quality, but they worked perfectly fine before the update, and they work perfectly on other devices.

Some things that I have tried 

- Restarting the Computer

- Removing and re-pairing the headphones

- Factory resetting the headphones

- Setting the headphones as the default playback device

- Disabling audio enhancements

- Disabling the checkbox "Allow Applications to take Exclusive Control of This Device"

- Disabling the "Hands-Free Audio" Device in the sound devices list

- Disabling the LE Bluetooth Enumerator in Device Manager

- Disabling the Intel Bluetooth Driver and Re-Enabling it

- Uninstalling the Intel Bluetooth Driver and Re-Installing it

- Downgrading to an older version of the Intel Bluetooth Driver

- Checking for new drivers for these headphones (There are none)

- Updating Audio Drivers

- Restarting the Bluetooth Support Service

- Running the Sound Troubleshooter (No luck)

The answer to this problem may simply be to get a higher-quality pair of Bluetooth headphones, but I would like to know if there are any other solutions to try before I need to pay for a new pair of headphones.

What type of device is this? Also, please file it in Feedback Hub. Thanks.

-Eddie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have already tried most of the things available. You even said you removed the device but I also check the Device Manager and set it to see hidden devices. After uninstalling/removing the device I will scan to see if any instances are still showing and select the box to uninstall and check the box to uninstall all drivers.

Bluetooth devices may be in several sections of the Device Manger so look around. My comments are general and not related to a specific build. It just seems after build upgrades, I will usually need to go through this process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2021 Views 119 Applies to: